Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Matt Morris Jan 31, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Wade Hawkins Feb 01, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Earth Analytic Inc Mar 02, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Wade Hawkins Mar 02, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Michael Coombes Mar 05, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Judy Krieg Mar 27, 2007
GPS Analyst crash when postprocessing data   Jorge Goicochea Jul 27, 2007
Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH   Mickey Park Sep 15, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH 
Author Matt Morris 
Date Nov 15, 2006 
Message I recently began using a Trimble GeoXH handheld pc in conjunction with ArcMap. The accuracy is really good, and I expect it to be a very valuable tool. I was just wondering if there are any other people using the same gear, that I can compare notes with?

Matt 

Subject Re: ArcMap and Trimble GeoXH 
Author Jon Whitlock 
Date Dec 01, 2006 
Message Sure, shoot me an email. See the attachment for one of the first GeoXH studies we tried out here in Athens, GA. 
  GIS Analyst, BP Barber
www.bpbarber.com

GeoXH_Accuracy.pdf (opens in new window)

Author Wade Hawkins 
Date Dec 06, 2006 
Message Matt, Jon, others...

It looks like I have a similar configuration. Have you encountered a similar situation to the following? Any light you might be able to shed would be helpful!

Wade

---
I have created a series of custom data entry forms using ArcPad Studio 7.0 (apa, apls, vbs files). Our current configuration is as follows:

1. Field data collector - Trimble GeoXH
2. Software - ArcPad 7.0.1
3. Trimble GPS Correct
4. Ricoh Capilo G3 Camera with wireless card
5. Post processing data - GPS Analyst
6. Desktop - ArcView 9.1
7. GPS enabled Geodatabase and associated feature classes

I need to figure out a workflow to streamline the check out/check in procedure and post process data. Can anyone shed some light into a good process? The brick walls I am running against are as follows:

1. Data check out - ArcGIS creates new apl and vbs files upon the check out procedure. I have looked into posts where people are suggesting that the user edit these to incorporate into thier own custom apl and vbs files. Is this the best/only method out there?

2. Upon check in, I have three units collect data. Any suggestions on how to handle the import of data from multiple units (ensuring unique numbers and no deletion of data).

Author sukhwinder dhanoa 
Date Dec 12, 2006 
Message What kind of accuracy are you getting for elevation ?

Thanks,

Sukhwinder. 

Author Matt Morris 
Date Dec 12, 2006 
Message Wade-

Sorry but we're not using ArcPad, so I can speak to that.

Sukhwinder- not using z values at this time.

Matt 

Author Larry Williams 
Date Jan 08, 2007 
Message I plan on doing some testing with the Trimble GEO-XH, ArcMap and Citrix in Feb. I had tried it late last year but was experiencing problems getting ArcMap to recognize the device.

How did you configure the devise to get ArcMap to recognize it? Are you running any special software? 
  Larry Williams
Management Systems Analyst
City of Calgary
larry.williams@calgary. ca 

Author Matt Morris 
Date Jan 08, 2007 
Message Larry-

I'm using Terrasync rather than ArcPad, and GPS Pathfinder to handle the data. Both are Trimble software packages. Terrasync collects the data, and Pathfinder does the post processing and exports the data as .shp files. It's pretty easy to do, and as I said before, astonishingly accurate. It's pretty much changed the way I operate here :)

Matt 

Author Larry Williams 
Date Jan 08, 2007 
Message Thanks for the reply.

So you're not using the GPS in realtime connected to ArcMap?

I realize that its probably unrealistic to use an Trimble Geo-XH as a GPS device to a Laptop since you would normally install the software onto the Trimble device directly. 
  Larry Williams
Management Systems Analyst
City of Calgary
larry.williams@calgary. ca 

Author Matt Morris 
Date Jan 09, 2007 
Message No, no realtime use w/ArcMap-yet. I just got the Trimble, and am self-educating as I go, so I am not aware of all the capabilities yet. 

Author Judy Krieg 
Date Jan 31, 2007 
Message We also recently purchased the Geo-XH unit. We are having problems post processing. Any help out there?

We get it all set up and go to post-processing and hit start dif. correction thru the wizard, but then it shuts down on us. 

Author Matt Morris 
Date Jan 31, 2007 
Message Judy-

The only trouble I have had with post processing is not being able to access the data at the CORS stations. I am told that they "post" daily, some stations just once but some several times, so there are times when they are inaccessible. I have always been able to get it to work later that same day. Even in instances where it won't work right then, it shows me an error message and I have to shut it down. Are you saying the diff correction window shuts down, or Pathfinder does?

Matt 

Author Judy Krieg 
Date Jan 31, 2007 
Message Matt,

When we start postprocessing, the Differential Correction Wizard window will show that it downloads a file from the nearby base station(s) (CORS North Liberty IA, and/or CORS Slater IA) and then ArcMap itself crashes, and we get the option to send an error report to MicroSoft. We aren't using Pathfinder, we're using ArcPad+GPS Correct and ArcGIS 9.1+GPS Analyst. We've tried with standard postprocessing and H-Star and always we have the same result.

Cheers,
Judy 

Author Matt Morris 
Date Jan 31, 2007 
Message Cheers indeed :(

Unfortunately you and I are running different software (I use terrasync), so I can't speak to the issues you are having. I can refer you to some really helpful Trimble people that have gone more than an extra mile in helping me. If you want to try that, you can e mail me at mmorris@wtggas.com and I will put you in touch with them.

Matt 

Author Wade Hawkins 
Date Feb 01, 2007 
Message Judy,

We are having the same issue. Since this issue seems to deal with GPS Analyst and not the GeoXH specifically, I have started a new posting:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1583&t=212186

Cheers,
Wade

A summary of the posting is below
---------
Hi Post,

We are crashing GPS Analyst everytime we attempt to postprocess data. Our configuration is as follows:

1. Trimble GeoXH, ArcPad & GPS Correct
2. ArcGIS 9.1 (Service Pack #2)
3. Trimble GPS Analyst 2.0

When we start postprocessing data using GPS Analyst, the differential correction wizard window activates and we move through the menu options. After selecting the base data provider and starting the data postprocessing, our ArcMap session crashes. Any thoughts?

--------- 

Author Earth Analytic Inc 
Date Mar 02, 2007 
Message Have you made sure that you have installed GPS Analyst version 2.0? This update is critical for use with ArcPad 7 and GPS Correct v 2. 

Author Wade Hawkins 
Date Mar 02, 2007 
Message Yes, we have the latest version of GPS correct and GPS Analyst.

Early last week we tried correcting data through other base providers. No solution - crash!

The accuracy generated through Standard code is not acceptable - we need (and paid for) H-Star collection/correction capabilites.

On a side: Trimble or ESRI had no solution to this problem...

Additional thoughts?

Wade 

Author Michael Coombes 
Date Mar 05, 2007 
Message I'm not sure if you've solved this old email but we examined the use of ArcMap and a direct tie-in to a Trimble GeoXH as well. The problem lies in the fact that the Trimble outputs to a USB cable. ArcMap only will recognize a COM input. You can also enhance your hardware with an air card and it will fake a COM input. You configure your Geo to output with its built-in air card. It then ties in live to ArcMap.
http://www.trimble.com/geoxh.shtml

I have a previous software update request for ArcMap to recognize a USB connection - along with everyone else.

Trimble also has a special cable that outputs to a COM format.

I didn't have time to fully assess the whole system's functionality. 

Author Judy Krieg 
Date Mar 27, 2007 
Message It appears we have solved our issue. Previously, we had been storing the data on our local server, and every time we started the download for postprocessing, ArcMap would crash. Well, we moved our field-edited shapefiles & .ssf file to the local C drive, the machine where ArcCatalog and ArcMap were actually running, and postprocessing worked fine. We will post here if we find any more hiccups along the way. 

Subject GPS Analyst crash when postprocessing data 
Author Jorge Goicochea 
Date Jul 27, 2007 
Message We are crashing GPS Analyst everytime we attempt to postprocess data using HSTAR.

Our system:

1. Trimble GeoXH, ArcPad & GPS Correct (latest updates)
2. ArcGIS 9.2 (Service Pack #3)
3. Trimble GPS Analyst 2.x (latest update)
4. OS Windows XP

We are desperate; has anybody got the same problem? Has somebody found a solution?
Help.

Author Mickey Park 
Date Sep 15, 2008 
Message how were you able to get the Trimble to connect to
ArcMap? USB or BlueTOOTH, and do you know what com port to use?