Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   Griffin Schalow Dec 11, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   HostGIS Support Dec 12, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   Griffin Schalow Dec 14, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   HostGIS Support Dec 14, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   John P Dec 15, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   HostGIS Support Dec 15, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   Griffin Schalow Dec 15, 2009
Re: Getting it to run on Linux?   HostGIS Support Dec 15, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Getting it to run on Linux? 
Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 08, 2009 
Message How do I get this thing to run under Linux (RHEL 4.3 64-bit)?

My only docs so far are this:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/java/index.htm
But it seems very Windows-centric; for example it doesn't even describe the running of ./Setup on the CD, nor how to stop/start the service.

I ran through the install wizard successfully.

The next step is to connect to the Manager, and they show a screenshot of a browser pointed to port 8909.

However, there is no service running, no service listed in chkconfig --list, no new files in /etc/init.d, and nothing listening on port 8099

Is there any good Linux-oriented documentation, which won't tell me to go to Start / Programs / ... ? 

Subject Re: Getting it to run on Linux? 
Author Tony Contreras 
Date Dec 09, 2009 
Message There is a Linux/Unix specific administering section in the help. The information here night answer some questions.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/java/index.htm#unix_manage_user_accounts.htm 
  Tony C. 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 09, 2009 
Message Very nice; thank you for the link. This will be very helpful once I have Manager running.

Though, that's the big first step: getting Manager running. I gather from the screenshot that I'm supposed to point my browser at port 8099, but I can see from netstat that nothing is listening.

Similarly, I see that DCOM should be listening on port 135? But nothing.

In fact, "ps axu | grep arcgis" shows no running processes at all owned by that user.

Shouldn't there be a service script in /etc/init.d for starting and stopping ArcGIS Server? How does one normally stop/start/restart the service in RHEL? 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 09, 2009 
Message Maybe this is our first clue, from the ArcGISServer_InstallLog.log

CheckForRegistrationErrors
Additional Notes: ERROR - Registration process failed. Ensure that all MainWin prerequisites have been met.

This is the only occurrence of ERROR I see in the file, and registration is probably a big thing.

During setup I was never asked for our license key. Should it have asked? 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 10, 2009 
Message Hey-ho. Still no ideas? Well, I thumbed around and found this. Maybe it bring something to mind?

# cat ArcGIS_SunDSInstallLog.log

Warning: the operating system may be missing required patches.

If you have not already done so, it is recommended that you quit the
installer and run the idsktune utility located in this directory.
The idsktune utility provides a list of patches and tuning settings
relevant to your operating system as described in the Sun Java(TM) System
Directory Server 5.2 Installation and Tuning Guide.

If you proceed without resolving all idsktune ERROR conditions,
installation may fail.

Please wait while components are loaded...

: Usage: ldif2db -n backend_instance | {-s includesuffix}* [{-x excludesuffix}
*] [-Y keydb-pwd] [-y keydb-pwd-file]
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: Usage: ldif2db -n backend_instance | {-s
includesuffix}* [{-x excludesuffix}*] [-Y keydb-pwd] [-y keydb-pwd-file]
: {-i ldiffile}* [-O]
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: {-i ldiffile}* [-O]
: Note: either "-n backend_instance" or "-s includesuffix" and "-i ldiffile"
are required.
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: Note: either "-n backend_instance" or "-s
includesuffix" and "-i ldiffile" are required.
The file /arcgis/servercore/agsidsvr/agsldap/ldif/arcgis.ldif was successfully
loaded
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: starting up server ...
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: [10/Dec/2009:09:42:06 -0800] - Sun Java(TM)
System Directory Server/5.2_Patch_4 B2005.230.0415 (32-bit) starting up
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: [10/Dec/2009:09:42:19 -0800] - Listening on all
interfaces port 62000 for LDAP requests
[slapd-sanfrancisco-arcgis1]: [10/Dec/2009:09:42:19 -0800] - slapd started.
Your new directory server has been started.
Created new Directory Server
Start Slapd Starting Slapd server configuration.
Success Slapd Added Directory Server information to Configuration Server.

Configuration of the server(s) succeeded.

Those ldif2db lines look like usage messages, as if the installer called them with inappropriate arguments or flags. Any ideas? 

Author Griffin Schalow 
Date Dec 11, 2009 
Message There is an UNIX-specific install guide on the DVD (Install.htm), at the same level as the Setup script. It will walk you through the steps to get Server up and running so you can then log into manager.

Your installation seems to have failed. Had it been successful, it would have prompted you for your license info during the Post-Installation/Configuration phase of the setup. The error in your ArcGISServer_InstallLog.log could mean that you are missing some prerequisites. You can check the /root/ArcGIS_MWSysReq.log file for more information on the results of the MainWin prerequisite checks. Those errors will need to be worked out first, to see if that resolves the problem with the Directory Server configuration. 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 12, 2009 
Message Thanks for the pointer about the CD's own docs. Those will be nice once I can get the installer to actually work; it's nice to have it laid out so nicely.

I don't have a ArcGIS_MWSysReq.log nor anything similar. I looked all over, even "find /" but no such file. I have gone through this installation some 5 times now, deleting /arcgis and rebooting in between tries, and never seen that one.

I've gone over their requirements list, and looks golden. Though, I've already found 2 items they forgot to list as requirements: x11-deprecated-libs and symlinks to simulate the ancient Berkeley DB 3.

Any ideas as to how I make it generate the ArcGIS_MWSysReq.log? I've run the installer plenty of times, it's apparently not just created by default, or is removed during the setup's execution. 

Author Griffin Schalow 
Date Dec 14, 2009 
Message Are you running the uninstall script between installs or just deleting the arcgis/ directory? You need to run arcgis/scripts/uninstallArcGISServer to clean up fully before trying to reinstall.

When you checked the prerequisites, did you make sure that the installed packages were the 32-bit versions? ArcGIS Server is a 32-bit app so won't be able to use 64-bit libraries, if that is all you have installed. Here is the command to check for 32-bit packages on a 64-bit Linux OS.
rpm qa -qf '%{N}-%{V}-%{R}.%{arch}\n' | grep package_name
This will show both 32- and 64-bit packages, not just 64-bit.

The ArcGIS_MWSysReq.log file should be created at the beginning of the setup. It is placed in the same directory as the ArcGISServer_InstallLog.log, which should be root's home directory. 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 14, 2009 
Message > Are you running the uninstall script

No, I was not. I now have. Thanks for the tip.

> When you checked the prerequisites, did you
> make sure that the installed packages were
> the 32-bit versions?

Yes.

I ran the installer again, but exactly the same thing, the same ERROR entry about MainWin prerequisites.

I have attached my "rpm -qa" output. Can you see anything missing? As far as I can tell, it has everything mentioned on the prereq doc.

http://wikis.esri.com/wiki/display/ag93bsr/ArcGIS+Server+Operating+System+Requirements+and+Limitations

Author John P 
Date Dec 15, 2009 
Message I'm not seeing the rpm output attached, but here are some commonly missing packages that have caused issues in the past:

1. gcc-3.4.3-9.EL5
2. gcc4-4.0.0-0.14.EL5
3. compat-libgcc-296-2.96-132.7.2
4. libgcc-3.4.3-9.EL5
5. gcc-c++-3.4.3-9.EL5
6. gcc-java-3.4.3-9.EL5
7. gcc4-c++-4.0.0-0.14.EL5
8. compat-gcc-32-c++-3.2.3-47.3
9. gcc-g77-3.4.3-9.EL5
10. compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-47.3
11. compat-openldap-2.1.30-2
12. xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2
13. openssl-0.9.7a-43

John P.
ESRI Support Services  

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 15, 2009 
Message My own rpm-qa looks about right, though note that there's no "gcc-g77" in RHEL 5, but gcc-gfortran instead. (which IS installed)

I have attached as a file upload, my rpm-qa output. 
  rpm-qa.txt (opens in new window)

Author Griffin Schalow 
Date Dec 15, 2009 
Message Your initial post said RHEL 4 64-bit, not RHEL 5.

Also you should use rpm qa --qf '%{N}-%{V}-%{R}.%{arch}\n' so that it displays 32- or 64-bit architecture. 

Author HostGIS Support 
Date Dec 15, 2009 
Message > Your initial post said RHEL 4 64-bit, not RHEL 5.

Oh heck, it does. I was going off the wrong documentation on our end, not the /etc/redhat-release file. This is definitely RHEL 5.4 64-bit

> rpm qa --qf so that it displays
> 32- or 64-bit architecture.

Ah, done and attached.

rpm-qa.txt (opens in new window)