You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog General forum

Renaming feature classes?   Kelly Jerrom Feb 16, 2006
Re: Renaming feature classes?   Crystal Dorn Feb 16, 2006
Re: Renaming feature classes?   Kelly Jerrom Feb 17, 2006
Re: Renaming feature classes?   Suzanne Slegers Mar 06, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Renaming feature classes? 
Author Kelly Jerrom 
Date Feb 16, 2006 
Message I would like to rename a feature class within a feature dataset. For some reason, the option is grayed out and F2 doesn't work either. I can rename the topology and the feature dataset, it just won't let me change the feature class. I also tried it in another GDB and it allowed me to do it. Any ideas? Thanks!! 

Subject Re: Renaming feature classes? 
Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Feb 16, 2006 
Message I think if a feature class belongs to a topology, it will not let you modify the name. Just a hunch. Else, is the feature class locked in ArcMap or a hidden process still running that has placed a lock on the file? Is it personal gdbs? 

Author Kelly Jerrom 
Date Feb 17, 2006 
Message Thanks for the reply. I think that you are right about the topology. I deleted the topology and then I could change the name.

Thanks again! 

Author Suzanne Slegers 
Date Mar 06, 2006 
Message Hi guys,
Just thought I would add that it looks like after you simply rename your FC you have to then revalidate the topology which is a real pain given that you then have to unversion your FC and revalidate which takes us about 2 days processing time. I donīt understand why this is so given that all you are doing is changing the name of something which the topology asks you to map anyway. Have I missed something here? Any help greatly appreciated.
Arghhhhh
Suzanne