You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog General forum

difference in digitizing in autocad and gis   kalaikovan ramalingam Feb 08, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   Pratap Kumar Feb 08, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   Chris Beckcom Feb 12, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   Ian Pryor Mar 17, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   Pratap Kumar Mar 17, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   krishna mohan Mar 18, 2008
Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and...   Ian Pryor Mar 18, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject difference in digitizing in autocad and gis 
Author kalaikovan ramalingam 
Date Feb 08, 2008 
Message hi I am having a simple doubt....whether map can be digitized in autocad and then we can bring it to arcmap or we should only digitize in arcgis ....what is the difference between this .....then after we bringing the map which is digitized by autocad we can goereference it or not........

help me to clear the doubts 

Subject Re: difference in digitizing in autocad and gis 
Author Pratap Kumar 
Date Feb 08, 2008 
Message Hello,

This is just an opinion from my side...

It depends on the manpower you use for digitization. Normally AutoCAD is a drafting package so it will be bit easy to digitize in that. If you want to digitize in CAD then make sure geo-reference is perfect before you start.

Vector georefefencing after capturing is bit difficult..

Pratap 

Author Chris Beckcom 
Date Feb 12, 2008 
Message If you have known coordinate points in your map, I would use ACAD. Digitize the original map and then use the ALIGN command to scale, rotate, and translate the vectors into the proper georef location.

Chris 

Author Ian Pryor 
Date Mar 17, 2008 
Message Curious as to why you guys would suggest digitizing in ACAD is easier or more desireable? 
  Ian Pryor
Stillwater Sciences
Arcata, CA

Author Pratap Kumar 
Date Mar 17, 2008 
Message Hi,

It depends on the manpower you use but I have mentioned some reasons...

1. Readily available skill set in market.
2. Minimum training is enough.
3. Skillset for preparing custom tools.
4. Much technical paramters are not required to produce the data.

Pratap 

Author krishna mohan 
Date Mar 18, 2008 
Message Hi,

Even I am also wondering what could be the advantages except the speed of digitization as compared to ArcGIS which is quite slow. AutoCAD is much more flexible.

Regards,

Krishna Mohan 

Author Ian Pryor 
Date Mar 18, 2008 
Message Maybe it all comes down to preference. It seems that as time goes on, more and more people have a rudimentary GIS skillset and less have any training in using AutoCAD.

I rarely meet entry level applicants or employees that have any Cad experience. Conversly, nearly all fresh out of collage or trade school people (that I interact with) have taken at least one GIS course. This may be more a function of the fact I work in the Earth Sciences...

My real point in the question is what, if any, are the technical software advantages of digitizing in CAD vs GIS? 
  Ian Pryor
Stillwater Sciences
Arcata, CA