Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Neil Clemmons Sep 09, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Randy . Sep 09, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Stephen Lead Sep 09, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Valentina Boycheva Sep 15, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Stephen Lead Sep 15, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Morgan Graham Sep 24, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Stephen Lead Sep 24, 2008
Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat?   Jon Caris Dec 15, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject What Causes .MXD Bloat? 
Author Morgan Graham 
Date Aug 06, 2008 
Message I've read the technical articles about periodically clearing out the current and previous session geoprocessing logs in ArcToolbox and your .MXD files. ArcMap documents I had started with were 100 MB (with nothing in them). Once I cleared the geoprocessing logs and "saved as" my file size when down to 45 MB. This is an improvement, but it would seem as though my .MXDs are still unnecessarily bloated.

Are there any other causes of this file bloating?

Sincerely,
Morgan Graham 

Subject Re: What Causes .MXD Bloat? 
Author George Silva 
Date Aug 14, 2008 
Message Im not sure of this, its probably a rumor but people say that when you are working with a mxd and adds a new layer, it add a reference to it in that mxd. So "old" mxds that were added and removed a lot of layers have a lot of references.

But i cant confirm that, just a "legend".

George R. C. Silva
GIS Analyst
georger.silva at gmail.com 

Author Gady Pitaru 
Date Aug 15, 2008 
Message If you have any map elements on the layout that are embedded images, the file size can grow. Custom forms and code in VBA can have an affect as well. 
  Gady Pitaru, GISP
GIS Developer
City of Phoenix, AZ 

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Aug 15, 2008 
Message Hmmm, while ArcMap documents can grow large because of the embedded graphics -- simply starting with a brand new mxd at a file size of 45 mb is not acceptable. Everytime you do lots of graphics changes on the layout, or insert and delete objects a lot in the mxd, the references to these objects are not removed automatically. That's what the "Save As" function does, as suggested.

There were issues I believe only during the Beta version of one of the earlier releases (9.1 or 9.2) that caused this, but if you didn't use beta, with this mxd, I would contact technical support for assitance and more suggestions to prevent that from happening.

You might try renaming your normal.mxt file and restarting ArcMap if starting any brand NEW mxd from scratch brings the file size automatically to 45mb. If it's an mxd file that's been around a while, it might have references to something that is missing or corrupt, such as a sample extension that you may have installed from ArcScripts or the developer samples.

Using the MXDoctor Utility might be a good place to try, too: http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=31424

Author Kim Ollivier 
Date Sep 08, 2008 
Message An MXD 45 MB in size?? I get annoyed when my MXD files exceed 1 MB!

I do use the MXD Doctor (in the development kit utilities) frequently. 
  Kim Ollivier
kimo@ollivier.co.nz
www.ollivier.co.nz

Author Neil Clemmons 
Date Sep 09, 2008 
Message I've had problems with several mxds reaching the 45MB size. Using the MxDoctor utility, you can see the byte streams that are present in the file. In every case, it seems that Network Analyst has a byte stream that is 45MB in size. Using the MxDoctor utility to repair the file fixes the problem but it would be nice to know why Network Analyst is doing this. I've never even turned the extension on and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. 
  Neil Clemmons
Senior GIS Developer
Geographic Information Services, Inc.
Birmingham, AL
http://www.gis-services.com

Check out our blog:
http://blog.gis-services.com/ 

Author Randy . 
Date Sep 09, 2008 
Message This is a known issue and not a really a bug. Also it is not limited to beta versions. See the following link.

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=20872 

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Sep 09, 2008 
Message Randy - just because it's a known issue doesn't mean it isn't also a bug. If the issue has been identified, it should now be fixed by ESRI.

Since "save as" performs the defrag, why can't "save" do the same thing? The user shouldn't have to workaround a problem like this, when the software could be fixed to handle it in the background.

It's interesting that this has been known about since 2001! 

Author Valentina Boycheva 
Date Sep 15, 2008 
Message Stephen, I would imagine that ArcMap uses the standard WIN32 APIs for file management (no need to reinvent the wheel), so ESRI is not actually to blame. Here's a good wiki article on file fragmentation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_fragmentation.

I am curious why the SFS filesystem, which ensures defragmentation in real time, has become obsolete (according to the wiki). More about SFS: http://www.answers.com/topic/smart-file-system

Valentina Boycheva
Senior GIS Programmer/Analyst
http://www.jonesedmunds.com

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Sep 15, 2008 
Message Valentina,

You may be correct as the to cause being outside ESRI's direct control. But I don't know of any other software product which experiences this exponential file bloating, so it must be possible to solve the problem.

Anyway, here's hoping that ESRI will resolve the issue someday.

Steve 

Author Morgan Graham 
Date Sep 24, 2008 
Message .Mxd Doctor diagnosed a 45 Mb stream dedicated to Tracking Analyst. There was at least another 45 Mb in the Geoprocessing log.

I had 3D Analyst, Spatial Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, Xtools Pro also turned on, but Tracking Analyst was the culprit.

So far, this thread has identified NETWORK ANALYST, TRACKING ANALYST and the GEOPROCESSING RESULTS LOG as potential contributors to .mxd bloat. 

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Sep 24, 2008 
Message This definitely indicates that the problem is with ArcGIS rather than the file system, and that it should be addressable by ESRI..... 

Author Jon Caris 
Date Dec 15, 2008 
Message This may take this topic a bit off track, but we too are experiencing "bloating" with many of our map documents. "We" refers to the 40 or so students in a Natural Disasters class this semester. The most serious case is a map document with 6 data frames. We made the initial document by creating one data frame and then copying 5 times within the document. All the data are referenced in a file geodatabase on the local computers. After initially working on and saving the document, students often must wait 30 minutes or more to reopen the document. The MXD doctor helps reduce the file size (ranging from 2 - 5 mb with bloat) and allows the mxd to open within a few minutes. However, this is extremely tedious given 40 + projects. We are trying to teach students about Natural Hazards, not file system fragmentation!

We teach again next semester and my question is this: Will 9.3 help? Or, is 9.3 more robust than 9.2?

We are currently running 9.2 SP6 and I'm hesitant to install 9.3 and introduce more or new problems. 9.3 will also mean updating our exercises... ugh

Many thanks, Jon