You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog General forum

Modify Field Properties in a feature class   Cathy Raney Jul 09, 2009
Re: Modify Field Properties in a feature cl...   Neil Clemmons Jul 09, 2009
Re: Modify Field Properties in a feature cl...   Pawan Vuppala Jul 14, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Modify Field Properties in a feature class 
Author Cathy Raney 
Date Jul 09, 2009 
Message Is it possible to change a value for Field Properties once it has been set? Clicking on the space for the field length does not allow me to alter the value. And for some reason I can't just delete the feature class and start over. ArcCatalog gives an error that says I have a database lock by my user ID. Well duh! 

Subject Re: Modify Field Properties in a feature class 
Author Neil Clemmons 
Date Jul 09, 2009 
Message You cannot edit a field's properties once it has been created. There are several 3rd party tools, ArcScripts, etc. that allow you change certain things but ArcGIS itself will not allow it. You may also be able to open the datasource in another program and change things. For instance, if you have a personal geodatabase you can open it in Access and change field names, field lengths, data types, etc. 
  Neil Clemmons
Senior GIS Developer
Geographic Information Services, Inc.
Birmingham, AL
http://www.gis-services.com

Check out our blog:
http://blog.gis-services.com/ 

Subject Re: Modify Field Properties in a feature class 
Author Pawan Vuppala 
Date Jul 14, 2009 
Message I find the easiest thing to do is create another field with desired length and Calculate on it and drop the original field. It lets us to change the length if its a numeric but not for string .

Hope it helps..