You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geoprocessing ModelBuilder forum

trying to perform "relate" in Model Builder   Layne Seely Jun 19, 2008
Re: trying to perform "relate" in Model Bui...   Kate Gibson Jun 20, 2008
Re: trying to perform "relate" in Model Bui...   Layne Seely Jun 25, 2008
Re: trying to perform "relate" in Model Bui...   Kate Gibson Jun 25, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject trying to perform "relate" in Model Builder 
Author Layne Seely 
Date Jun 19, 2008 
Message In ArcMap (INFO) 9.2 I can easily create a relate between a polygon feature class and a non-spatial geodatabase table. I can select all the records in the polygon FC and then relate to the table, switch selection and delete these records from the table. In reverse, I then select all the table records and relate that back to the polygon FC, switch selection and delete the polygon records that do not match the table records. In short I am removing orphan table records and orphan polygon records. How do I do this in model builder? I thought a relationship class was the answer but I can't find anyway to access the data using this relationship class. To complicate this there is a 1:many relationship betweent the polygon FC and the table. 

Subject Re: trying to perform "relate" in Model Builder 
Author Kate Gibson 
Date Jun 20, 2008 
Message If you use the make feature layer function in Data Management you can then perform a Join on the two tables. When you do this one of the parameters you can set is the 'Relate Type' so here you can choose one of three options based on what you want to accomplish. I am not sure if this helps or if you already have this solved.

Author Layne Seely 
Date Jun 25, 2008 
Message You are correct in that you can use a join to do this; however, a smarter-than-me co-worker worked out the SQL statement that worked PERFECTLY:

Relate from table to FC resulting in orphan table records. I used the following code "[..table relate field ..] not in (select[.. featureclass relate field ..] from ..featureclass..)" as the input selection query on a table select and then reversed it for a select feature layer by attribute to obtain orphan polygon records. 

Author Kate Gibson 
Date Jun 25, 2008 
Message Excellent! Glad to hear you've gotten it all worked out and thanks for passing along the solution.

Kate