You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geoprocessing Scripting (Python, JavaScript, VB) forum

ArcServer vs. Desktop licenses in gp env   Chris Beaudette Aug 27, 2008
Re: ArcServer vs. Desktop licenses in gp en...   Chris Beaudette Sep 16, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcServer vs. Desktop licenses in gp env 
Author Chris Beaudette 
Date Aug 27, 2008 
Message ArcGIS v9.2 SP5, soon to be v9.3.
I'm trying to determine on which machine (ArcGIS Desktop or Server) to run a python geoprocessing script, considering I need to check out a desktop-level license and a Data Interop extension license.

According to the 'Access to Licensing and Extensions' page (http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=741&pid=727&topicname=Access_to_licensing_and_extensions):
"Whenever a tool is executed in a script, an ArcGIS Desktop license is required. Tools from ArcGIS extensions ... require an additional license for that extension...
Licenses for extensions can be retrieved from a license manager".

So I would have to something like this:
gp.SetProduct("ArcView")
gp.CheckOutExtension("DataInteroperability")

But on the licensing methods page (http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Licensing_methods)
it shows that the valid values for SetProduct are:
ArcInfo, ArcEditor, ArcView, Engine, EngineGeoDB, ArcServer

For reasons I won't get into here, we'd rather run our python geoproc scripts from the ArcGIS Server machine, i.e. if it's possible to do something like:
gp.SetProduct("ArcServer")

to achieve the same results as doing:
gp.SetProduct("ArcView")

from an ArcGIS Desktop machine.

Questions:
1. If I run my geoproc scripts from an ArcGIS Server:
- with gp.SetProduct(), does a license level of 'ArcServer' satisfy the same requirements as a deskop 'ArcView' license? (Or 'ArcEditor' for that matter)?
- Could I use either 'ArcView' or 'ArcServer' even if the Desktop is not installed on the ArcGIS Server?
- with gp.CheckOutExtension(), are there or could there be any connectivity issues/considerations from the ArcServer to the license manager?

2. If I run geoproc scripts from an ArcGIS Desktop:
- with gp.CheckOutExtension(), are there or could there be any connectivity issues/considerations from the ArcGIS Desktop to the license manager? 

Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Re: ArcServer vs. Desktop licenses in gp env 
Author Chris Beaudette 
Date Sep 16, 2008 
Message With some experimentation and from the docs, I was able to deduce the answer to some of these questions. Note that I'm using an EDN license for v9.3, so mileage may vary for those using other versions and/or license manager.

1. I successfully ran a geoprocessing script on an ArcGIS Server w/o ArcGIS Desktop installed and without explicitly using gp.SetProduct() to any particular license. The tools I used were all Data Management tools (i.e. from the Data Management Tools.tbx toolbox). Through various gp.CheckProduct() and gp.ProductInfo() commands I found that the license level was "ArcServer" and that none of the desktop licenses were available there. Also, according to the 'Access to licensing and extensions' page at
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?id=853&pid=836&topicname=Access_to_licensing_and_extensions
it says that "If a license is not explicitly set, the first time the geoprocessor is accessed, the license will be initialized based on the highest available license level."

From all this, I can only deduce that a license level of "ArcServer" is equivalent to at least that of ArcView, since according to the 'Licensing for Geoprocesing tools' page at
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Licensing_for_geoprocessing_tools
all 3 levels of desktop license have access to the 'Features' and 'Table' toolsets (at least those that I'm using) in the Data Management toolbox. Note that the tools available to the ArcServer license are not documented on that page, though that would be a nice addition.

2. Though I tested with an EDN license and not a license manager, I'll assume that if ArcGIS software is installed on a machine running geoproc scripts (whether desktop or server) then access from geoproc scripts to the license manager will not be a problem.

On a side note, I was able to check out the DataInteroperability extension license with the 'ArcServer' license, though I didn't attempt to run any tools from the data interop toolbox.