ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Layers and Symbology forum

Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Shapef...   Dave Cassidy Jun 17, 2005
Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Sh...   Lon Sharp Jun 17, 2005
Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Sh...   Dave Cassidy Jun 19, 2005
Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Sh...   Dave Cassidy Jun 20, 2005
Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Sh...   Lon Sharp Jun 21, 2005
Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Sh...   Dave Cassidy Jun 21, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Shapefile 
Author Dave Cassidy 
Date Jun 17, 2005 
Message I know there is a way to save a symbolized polygon layer to a shapefile because I did it before, perhaps in a online class. But, now I have forgotten how and if an extension was required to do so. Specifically, I have symbolized the land parcels in an area based on the Mapbook number, ie: 7542, 7543, 7544 etc. Now I want to save the Mapbook polygons to a shape file with each record representing one of the mapbook areas 7542, 7543 etc. There are 5,000,000 records in the parcels file. I expect there will be hundreds to maybe a couple of thousand records in the Mapbook Shapefile. What is the best method? 

Subject Re: Saving Symbolized Polygon Layer to a Shapefile 
Author Lon Sharp 
Date Jun 17, 2005 
Message I believe you are thinking of a layer file, not a shapefile. Shapefiles store ONLY the data, not symbology. Layer files are the opposite - they store the symbology for the data, but not the data itself.
To create a layer file, right-click on the layer in the table of contents, and pick "Save as Layer File". Name it, and save it.
Next time you want to use that symbology, add the layer file to your map, rather than the shapefile.
Layer files also work with other vector formats, rasters, groups of layers, etc. 

Author Dave Cassidy 
Date Jun 19, 2005 
Message I did mean "shapefile" and not layer file. I regret I did not use the GIS lexicon proficiently enough in my origional post. Let me try again refering to the attached bitmap. The twelve polygons 10-1, 10-2 ... 12-1, refer to each of the 5,000,000 land parcels in my actual problem. The color coded areas refer to the mapbooks in my actual problem. There are about 3,000 of these in my actual problem. I want to create a new shape file which contains only areas represented by the grey, green and orange polygons. I have used a couple of different methods to accomplish this in the past. I have used the "intersect" tool. Which would be useful only if there were a smaller number of records and areas to geoprocess. I think the other better method I used was discribed in a online course example and it worked very well. The specific steps somehow involved using the color ramp symbology (grey, green, and orange in my example), then once the 5,000,000 records are symbolized into a color ramp, a new shape file with the 3,000 colored polygons can be saved which only have the polygons represented by the different ramped colors. I can't remember which version or extension allowed me to do this. Was it ArcView 3.x? or was it a separate ArcGIS Extension? Did this help clarify my origional question? 

Author Dave Cassidy 
Date Jun 20, 2005 
Message My attachement wasn't accepted by the forum's editor. It was apparently too large. I will try here again to post my attachement to the previous post. 
  geoprocessingnewshapefile1.zip (opens in new window)

Author Lon Sharp 
Date Jun 21, 2005 
Message OK, now I'm following you. I think what you are after is a dissolve. It will merge together features in your shapefile based on an attribute field. If you are using 9.x, it's in ArcToolbox-Data Management Tools-Generalization.

Before you do a dissolve, though, I'd create a new attribute field based on the 2 right-hand digits of the field you labeled your example with. 

Author Dave Cassidy 
Date Jun 21, 2005 
Message Yes, the dissolve tool's results are exactly what I was trying to do. Now, I just need to figure-out why the process aborts when working on larger files. It works great with areas up to about 20 square miles. Larger than that, ArcMap closes without any notice without finishing the process, no error messages, nothing. Maybe it is a memory availability problem. Thanks for your help so far.