Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Bengt Lundstrom Oct 04, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Heping Zhan Oct 05, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Heping Zhan Oct 08, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Heba Kadi Jun 28, 2008
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Cassandra Gray Oct 05, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Heping Zhan Oct 05, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Dion Good Oct 15, 2007
Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology l...   Katharina Dubach Jun 30, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology loses its rythem for polygon features 
Author Heping Zhan 
Date Sep 13, 2007 
Message This topic may have been discussed before. But when I symbolize a polygon feature layer with dash or dash-dot combo for a polygon layer, the rythem of the dashes/dots is lost when I get to sharp curves or corners. Or if multiple polygons sharing common boundaries, the rythem is normal in some sections but becomes a solid line in others. How do I get the symbology to follow the same rythem (without converting my polygon features first to polylines). Thanks 

Subject Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology loses its rythem for polygon features 
Author John Sobetzer 
Date Sep 13, 2007 
Message In 9.2 you might look at cartographic representations. 

Subject Re: Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology loses its rythem for polygon features 
Author Heping Zhan 
Date Sep 13, 2007 
Message We are still using 9.1. If 9.2 resolve that issue, I'll just have to wait for the update. Thank you very much for the information. 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 01, 2007 
Message John, (or anyone else out there),
I finally got ArcInfo v9.2 installed and was looking for Cartographic Representation tool to test and see the result. I was not able to either find the tool, nor did ArcGIS Help provide an easy-to-understand information on how to use the tool. I hate to ask, but could you or anyone give me a straight forward and easy to follow intro on how to find the tool and how to set up a representation rule to resolve my original issue? I really really appreciate it. 

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date Oct 02, 2007 
Message Heping,

Did you see the following help topic, which I think is pretty thorough in discussing cartographic representations: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=An_overview_of_representations 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 03, 2007 
Message Thank you for directing me the the info on Representation. I went through the tutorials 9.2 provided and it appears that using cartographic representations still won't answer my initial question "how to make a dashed line representing a shared boundary in a polygon feature layer not to look a solid line?"

Anyone knows a solution? I don't believe I am the only one having this question. In AutoCad, one simple command line resolves that issue. I can't believe there is no solution to this in ArcMap. 

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message What has worked for me is to edit the properties of the polygon's bounding line, adjusting the template.
Open the Layer Properties for the poly layer, then click on the symbol to open the Symbol Selector, then click on Properties to open the Symbol Property Editor, then click on Outline to open a new Symbol Selector, then click on Properties again to open another Symbol Property Editor, then click on the Template tab. In the Template tab, under Properties/Type, select Cartographic Line Symbol and then adjust the line pattern, the black and white squares. I've found that just adding one square to each "set" is sufficient - for example, if the line template defaults to 4 black, 1 white, 2 black, 1 white, 2 black, 1 white ... change it to 5, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2. 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message Thank you Tift Tax GIS for taking the time to assist me on this. I tried your method and it did not work for me. To demonstrate my point, I attached two snap shots of my screen. One "Results_Using_4_..." shows the result of applying your method. The dash patter works fine with the non-sharing boundaries (as seen on the right hand side of the map but not for the shared boundaries (as seen on the left hand side). I tested using a line Offset of 2 in the Line Properties setting and this made the shared boundaries look a lot better. But the side effect of using an offset is that you end up with a funny knot at each corner where the line turns direction (as seen in the other screen shot I attached).

Anyone has any solution to this? Thanks 
  Results_Line_Offset_2.jpg (opens in new window)
Results_Using 4_1_2_1_2_1.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message Heping - I would get rid of the overlapping boundaries where polygons meet. If adjoining polygons share a line, the line should draw the way you configure it in the Template. 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message The polygon feature class I used in my example does not have any overlaps. To prove my point, I created a new polygon feature layer with one polygon and then used Cut Polygon Feature editing tool to cut the polygon in half (this operation is not supposed to create an overlap at the cut). Then I applied the dashed symbology and the result was still the same (see the attached screen shot and see the resulting effects on the yellow polygons' split line) 
  To Prove My Point.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message Beats me ... I use cartographic lines for our 95-polygon map grid, using the steps I posted earlier, and they look fine. In your examples, it appears that ArcMap is trying to draw 2 lines side-by-side where polygons touch.
If all else fails, create a line class from the polys, as you mentioned. 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message So far as much as I know, converting a polygon feature class to a line feature class seems to be the only way to solve that symbology problem (which is a pain). We thought ESRI's release of 9.2 would provide a smarter solution.

Thank you so much for your responses. 

Author Bengt Lundstrom 
Date Oct 04, 2007 
Message Hello!

Another way to handle symbology on the redundant(duplicated) polygonedges where polygons meet is,to create a twolayer-linesymbol with a solid bottom layer symbolised as the backgroundcolor of the map.On top of that one,you define the desired pattern for your boundaries.This approach will mask out the first edge when the second edge draws on top!
The discussion on commonedges,shared edges is not relevant, as no polygons ever share any elements with another polygon.The root of the problem is, there will always be two geometries for edges where polygons met spatially.In most cases they are coincindet, and appear to be shared!

Bengt L

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 05, 2007 
Message Bengt,
I'll certainly give it a try when I get to my office next Monday.
Thanks for the info.
Heping 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 08, 2007 
Message Bengt,

Wow! It worked. Instant improvement. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I attached a screen shot to show you the result of applying your technique. And I also attached a comparison shot before applying the technique.

I hope this is helpful for everyone out there who is struggling with this problem.
Again, thank you. 
  Improved adjoining boundaries.jpg (opens in new window)
Without applying the technique.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Heba Kadi 
Date Jun 28, 2008 
Message I want to know the technique that you use to solve the problem of "Dashed (or Dashed-dot) Line Symbology loses its rythem for polygon features"
Thanks 

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date Oct 05, 2007 
Message Helping,

Do you have any transparency or BMP marker symbology in the map? 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Heping Zhan 
Date Oct 05, 2007 
Message Cassandra,
No. I did not have any of those. Thanks. 

Author Dion Good 
Date Oct 15, 2007 
Message I have the same problem. What is a "twolayer-linesymbol"? From the jpg it looks like some kind of knockout, which I cannot use, because my map background is variable and complex. The dashed lines are sitting on top of many other lines.

Any further suggestions? 

Author Katharina Dubach 
Date Jun 30, 2008 
Message Two-Layer means that the line symbol consists of two layers, one a solid color band (in this case white), the second black dots and dashes. (Works the same way as a Highway symbol with outlines and a different color in the center, except here the center line is dashed and could even be the same width as the underlying "masking" layer.

To create a multi-layer symbol, open the symbol editor and click on the preview window. Now you can add layers and modify each one separately.

Hope this helps,

kathi