Re: Combining Layers   Hima Chaganti Jan 19, 2009
Re: Combining Layers   Zac Ward Jan 19, 2009
Re: Combining Layers   Zac Ward Jan 20, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Combining Layers 
Author Hima Chaganti 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Hi

I have added 1 layer in ArcMap. Now i have selected some features and it created another Layer.Now i want to combine these 2 under 1 layer. plz let me know the solution.

Thanks,
Hima

Subject Re: Combining Layers 
Author Zac Ward 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message One way to do this is to export the first layer (data > export data) and then use the load feature in ArcCatalog to add the other layer to the first. You can then add this to ArcMap. 

Author Hima Chaganti 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Could you plz explain in detail?
Thanks,
Hima 

Author Zac Ward 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Ok. You have two layers that you want to combine. You cannot use 'merge' because they are two distinct layers so do the following:

Open ArcCataloge and create a new folder. Right click on that folder and use 'new > file geodatabase'. Call it whatever you like.

Next right click on the first layer (in ArcMap) and use 'data > export data'. Click on the little folder icon and chose where to save the layer (navigate to the new file geodatabase you created) and make sure the 'save as type' is set to 'file and personal geodatabases...'.

Next use ArcCatalog again and find the feature class you just exported (the first layer). Right click on this file and use 'load > load data'. For the input data use the file for the second layer and click add. Click next a couple of times till you get to the window shown below (attached in next post below) and make sure the fields match up. Then keep clicking next till the data is loaded.

You can now add this data into Arcmap as a new layer which is a combination of the two original layers.

Good luck!

Zac 

Author Zac Ward 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Forgot to add the attachment. 
  Load_Data.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Hima Chaganti 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
When i tried to export layer from arcmap to the location created in arccatalog,i got this error msg "An error occurred trying to save object names XXXX".
What does this mean? 

Author Hima Chaganti 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Actually my intension is, I don't want to display alla layers under map contents. I want to display selected layers. How can i do that?

Thanks,
Hima 

Author Zac Ward 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message Not sure what you mean? If you want to display a portion of a layer then do the selection and then go to the selection tab in the table of contents (where the layers are shown). Right click on the layer selected and 'create layer from selected features'. It will then show up in the display tab of the table of contents as:

your layer name SELECTION.

You can then export this layer if you want.

If you want more help can you post some pictures of your problem. 

Author Hima Chaganti 
Date Jan 19, 2009 
Message I have 1 layer named LAYER1. I have selected some features on LAYER1 and created LAYER2. and selected some other features on LAYER1 and created LAYER3.I deleted layer1.now i have LAYER2 and LAYER3. I want to combine these 2 into 1 layer.
This is the problem.

Author Zac Ward 
Date Jan 20, 2009 
Message Hi Hima. You have to use the union command in toolbox.

First open toolbox (the red toolbox icon) and search for union under the search tab (it's under analysis tools).

Load your two layers into the input features and set the output feature class where you want to save the output.

Important: Click on environments at the bottom then general settings. Set the coordinate that you are using (click on the hand/page looking symbol half way down and then select on the new window). Select your coordinate system.
You can find the coordinate system you are using by right clicking the layer in Catalog and selecting xy coordinate system.

Click ok twice to get back to the main union screen and then ok to run the process. Load the resulting output into Arcmap with the add data button.

If you are still having trouble then zip up the two layers and post them here and I can do it for you and post them back.

Zac