You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Layers and Symbology forum

Unable to open hyperlink   Aleksander Gumos May 29, 2009
Re: Unable to open hyperlink   Emily Martin May 29, 2009
Re: Unable to open hyperlink   Aleksander Gumos Jun 11, 2009
Re: Unable to open hyperlink   Emily Martin Jun 11, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Unable to open hyperlink 
Author Aleksander Gumos 
Date May 29, 2009 
Message Hello

I am struggling with hyperlinks in ArcGIS, after having been copied a database from one Pc into another.

I got all data in form of several catalogues (there: lots of MS Word and PDF documents) and with the main project file (.mxd).

After copying all into my local C drive, I am not able to "relate" anymore hyperlinks to the documents.

This is what I am performing in ArcMap:

After choosing a hyperlink icon in ArcMap menu (blizzard symbol), all of hyperlinked data are being high lightened. Than, if I click on the highlighted dataset, I am getting this message that:

“Unable to open hyperlink".

My challenge is than as follow:

“How to re-name all hyperlink files paths within my .mxd project file in order to be able to re-open the documents on my C drive?

I need somehow to change J:\GIS\GIS Database file path into: C:\GIS\GIS Gatabase. There are hundreds of documents in the folders that should be connected to the .mxd project file. The manual work would take weeks!

I am looking for some global solution here (how to change the hyperlink file path for all datasets in the project file, without typing manually for each dataset).

Thank you in advance for you support/knowledge sharing

Kind regards

Aleksander 

Subject Re: Unable to open hyperlink 
Author Emily Martin 
Date May 29, 2009 
Message Hi Aleksander

Are your hyperlinks dynamic (created through the Identify tool) or field-based (listed in a field in the attribute table of your layers)? If they are field-based, you may find a solution with the Hyperlink Base.

The hyperlink base is accessed through File -> Document Properties. Enter the beginning of the path to your files, for example C:\GIS\GIS Database\ . All field-based hyperlinks in the document now use this as the start of the filepath to hyperlinked documents. The rest of the path - the part which changes for each hyperlink - is contained in the attribute table field.

So, if the targets of the hyperlinks are

C:\GIS\GIS Database\Folder 1\File1.pdf
C:\GIS\GIS Database\Folder 1\File2.pdf
C:\GIS\GIS Database\Folder 1\File3.doc
etc.

and C:\GIS\GIS Database\ is the hyperlink base for the document, the table might look like

ID, Field1, Field2, Documents
1, Value, Value, Folder 1\File1.pdf
2, Value, Value, Folder 1\File2.pdf
3, Value, Value, Folder 1\File3.doc
etc.

The hyperlink base shortens what needs to be in the table.

For the next step, instead of changing all the field entries to the new, shorter filepaths, could you make a list of them in Excel or something, add this as a new field in the table and call it, say, 'NewPath'? If you can then simply open the Properties dialogue box by right-clicking on the layer in the Table of Contents and open the Display tab. Make sure the Support Hyerlinks Using Field box is checked and the Documents option is selected (not URL or macro), then in the drop-down menu select NewPath.

Hope this helps.

Emily Martin 

Author Aleksander Gumos 
Date Jun 11, 2009 
Message G'day Emily Martin

Unfortunetely my hyperlinks are "dynamic".
I was searching for some solution for those at ESRI User Groups but without great luck.

The only solution (very labours) for today I know is to manually "alter" all "bad" hyperlinks by accessing thru Identify Tool all features' properties and using "Manage Hyperlinks".

Than, I could delete the "wrong" file path and "browse" for the correct one (here: replacing wrong HDD drive letter from the genuine PC I was given the data from to the correct one from my PC) /like replacing for example "J" drive to "C" drive in the files pathfile...

Perhaps you or someone else know a better (automatised?) solution for the challange above?

I have attached a picture [Dynamic hyperlinks file path problem.JPG] to support the problematic issue.

I would be more than happy hearing from You.

Sincerely

Aleksander Gumos

Dynamic hyperlinks file path problem.JPG (opens in new window)

Author Emily Martin 
Date Jun 11, 2009 
Message Aleksander,

That's a shame. I'm afraid I don't know how you can mass-change dynamic hyperlinks. Found this in the ArcScripts download section though:

HyperLinkReplacer
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15589

Whether it works or not, post the result here so other people can use this thread as help in the future...

Emily