You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Layers and Symbology forum

joining two lines or polygons   Meh Go Sep 17, 2009
Re: joining two lines or polygons   Matt Morris Sep 17, 2009
Re: joining two lines or polygons   Meh Go Sep 17, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject joining two lines or polygons 
Author Meh Go 
Date Sep 17, 2009 
Message Hey everybody:
I want to join two polylines end-to-end so that they will be a single polyline. How can I do this in ArcGIS?
Similar problem i´m having is: I want to enlarge a polygon in one direction but it will be tiredsome to use option of editing every vertex. What I prefer is to construct another `semi-polygon´ with its two ends meeting the existing polygon. Thus modifying the smaller polygon to a bigger one which includes also area covered under the `semi-polygon`.
Any Help? 

Subject Re: joining two lines or polygons 
Author Matt Morris 
Date Sep 17, 2009 
Message For the lines, connect end vertexes using snapping, then select both lines, go to the editor toolbar and selct "merge" from the pull down menu. Note that the attributes from one of the lines will apply to your new merged lines so if they are different, make sure you use the ones you want. Same applies to polygons. Even if they are not connected, you can merge them, so be careful with that, too. 

Subject Re: joining two lines or polygons 
Author Meh Go 
Date Sep 17, 2009 
Message Thanx Matt. It worked!