You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Layers and Symbology forum

Creating a mask layer   Randy . Jan 06, 2010
Re: Creating a mask layer   Saqib Mehmood Jan 06, 2010
Re: Creating a mask layer   David B Jan 07, 2010
Re: Creating a mask layer   Randy . Jan 07, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Creating a mask layer 
Author Randy . 
Date Jan 06, 2010 
Message I've got a study area (polygon) I like to stand out. Is there a way in ArcMap to mask out everything outside the polygon without having to create a mask feature class for the original feature class?

In the example above the there is only one polygon. I'd like to mask out the reverse. Is this possible? 

Subject Re: Creating a mask layer 
Author Saqib Mehmood 
Date Jan 06, 2010 
Message You can display a subset of a single layer using definition query. Please take a look at the following link:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Displaying_a_subset_of_features_in_a_layer 
  Saqib Mehmood
saqibqureshi@gmail.com 

Author David B 
Date Jan 07, 2010 
Message Maybe use the data frame clipping options?
Open Date Frame Properties dialog > Data Frame tab
and set the options to clip using the study area polygon feature 

Author Randy . 
Date Jan 07, 2010 
Message Thanks David that is pretty close but will work for my current map. The down side is that the Data Frame "clip to shape" clips all layers.

Saqib, definition query doesn't work here. I only have "One" polygon in the feature class. In the old ArcPlot / coverage days I could specify the Null polygon.