ArcScene export   Christopher Fairchild Nov 13, 2006
Re: ArcScene export   Miles Hitchen Nov 14, 2006
Re: ArcScene export   Christopher Fairchild Nov 14, 2006
Re: ArcScene export   Joshua Crough Jan 03, 2007
Re: ArcScene export   Steve Cole Jan 04, 2007
Re: ArcScene export   Chris Woodward Jan 10, 2007
Re: ArcScene export   sukhwinder dhanoa Jan 10, 2007
Re: ArcScene export   Joshua Crough Jan 11, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcScene export 
Author Christopher Fairchild 
Date Nov 13, 2006 
Message My question concerns exporting 2-D images of a 3-D object in ArcScene. The export function does not produce a high enough quality image for my needs. Is there another way to export a high quality image within ArcScene/ArcGIS? 

Subject Re: ArcScene export 
Author Miles Hitchen 
Date Nov 14, 2006 
Message Hi Christopher,

If you change the resolution of the output and the scene size to match the largest pixel size (as in the attached image), then you can get very high quality output.

Hope that helps,
Miles.

Miles Hitchen
Software Engineer
Geospatial Team
Ordnance Survey
UK

Export2D.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Christopher Fairchild 
Date Nov 14, 2006 
Message I have indeed tried just that, but even with higher dpi output and better file extensions (TIFF over JPEG for example) the problem continues. The exports still look low quality to me, especially areas with heavy shading/shadowing. Thanks though. 

Author Joshua Crough 
Date Jan 03, 2007 
Message I too am having difficulties getting a good quality image (can't export to tiff because it appears black when added to ArcMap document). I need to export an image from ArcScene that will be able to be shown on a 68" X 88" (2X ANSI E). There is LiDAR that appears to make the image worse. Have you been able to come up with a solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Joshua 

Author Steve Cole 
Date Jan 04, 2007 
Message Until ESRI actually completes its rewrite of the GDI, don't expect this to get better. I now consider ArcScene/ArcGlobe shareware because it's almost impossible to get any decent output from it. I logged an incident request about my problems 2 years ago and nothing has changed (this includes even meeting with the programmers at the conference).

In my situation, once I specify a certain pixel width for the output image (~1100 pixels), the resulting image contains artifacts in it. Either there are black "nodata" squares (see attached) or portions of the image repeat itself in random locations.

It's absolutely frustrating and I'm going to start looking into other 3D alternatives because I don't really have the time to wait for ESRI to fix it. 

Author Chris Woodward 
Date Jan 10, 2007 
Message To me, ArcGlobe 9.1 renders better rasters than ArcScene 9.1. I'm not sure about 9.2 stuff yet. 

Author sukhwinder dhanoa 
Date Jan 10, 2007 
Message I have faced the same problem of image quality. For 3D I moved to 3D Studio Max, it give good quality and as I am exporting it as .X file from 3DS I am getting even better quality in our 3D engine.

Author Joshua Crough 
Date Jan 11, 2007 
Message Thanks all. I have discovered in terms of stability (though still pretty flimsy) that ArcGlobe is better - especially with large data sets. I do think that I will look into the 3D Max as I don't suppose that the issues with ArcScene have been addressed in version 9.2?

Regards,

Joshua