You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Extension - 3D Analyst (plus ArcGlobe/ArcScene) forum

Tin Creation from Contours   Gregory Luna Golya Mar 23, 2009
Re: Tin Creation from Contours   Gregory Luna Golya Mar 24, 2009
Re: Tin Creation from Contours   Eman Ramos Mar 25, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Tin Creation from Contours 
Author Gregory Luna Golya 
Date Mar 23, 2009 
Message Hi, I'm unable to create a tin from contours in 3D Analyst for the life of me. I'm using seamless contours from twenty-four 1:50000 quads from Mexico (10/20m contour intervals) and each attempt ends in an unspecified failure. I was able to create a TIN from twenty-eight quads in 9.2 once (couldn't repeat my success). I have since cleaned up the vector data and am trying to create and a new TIN and then a DEM. I've also had no luck with TopoToRaster. Using 9.3 ArcInfo Workstation with 64-bit, 8GB Ram, 3.16GHz Dell Precision. Any known issues with this process? TIN node count reaches 9867799 before failing. Thanks, Greg 

ERROR 999998: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
Failed to execute (EditTin).
End Time: Mon Mar 23 20:56:51 2009 (Elapsed Time: 3 minutes 52 seconds)

Subject Re: Tin Creation from Contours 
Author Gregory Luna Golya 
Date Mar 24, 2009 
Message I'm answering my own question. It appears to be a size issue. 9.3 can't handle very large inputs for the TIN creation. Solution is to spend a lot of time creating TINs for subsets and merging after the fact. Too bad. 

Subject Re: Tin Creation from Contours 
Author Eman Ramos 
Date Mar 25, 2009 
Message Along the same lines...is there a way to set the tolerance IN ADVANCE for how many nodes a TIN can have? I've made one with about 3 million, which looks great on screen but will not print or even export to PDF or JPG.

I ran the "Decimate" tool and got it down to about 300,000 so now it plays nice with my other datasets. But it would have saved a lot of aggravation to be able to specify the resolution beforehand.

Any suggestions? 
  Eman Ramos
GIS Intern
Sweetwater Authority