You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Extension - ArcReader and Publisher forum

broken data links after data packaging   Sam Goedecke Feb 22, 2007
Re: broken data links after data packaging   Scott Warner, GISP Mar 01, 2007
Re: broken data links after data packaging   Scott Warner, GISP Mar 01, 2007
Re: broken data links after data packaging   Sam Goedecke Mar 01, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject broken data links after data packaging 
Author Sam Goedecke 
Date Feb 22, 2007 
Message I have a published map file for which I am packaging data. When I package the data (using the "Copy" method), the process gets 99% complete, then crashes.

However, after numerous attempts at packaging the data, I have found that every time the process seems to finish. That is, the 'data' and 'pmf' folders have been placed where I have asked and they have been populated.

When I open the new pmf on the source computer, my published map opens and functions perfectly. I can even copy the two folders (along with their parent folder) to a new location and it still opens.

However, when I copy the parent folder containg 'data' and 'pmf'to a different machine, all of my data links are broken. (they have that red exclamation point.)

Any thoughts? 
  Sam Goedecke
GIS Dept.
Town of Alta, Utah 

Subject Re: broken data links after data packaging 
Author Scott Warner, GISP 
Date Mar 01, 2007 
Message I am kind of new to this so forgive me if I am wrong but "I think" I might know your problem. If I understand you correctly, you are having trouble opening on another computer other than the computer you created the pmf on, that also has all the data on?
If so when you save the parent folder make sure it's saved in the exact location that you created it on, on your computer. In your PMF right click a layer lets say Streets. Then under properties/Source tab it will show you where you are trying to extract your data.
For example:
Location: M:\GIS_Data\Projects\YOURMAPPROJECT\ArcReader\PGDB\GIS_Mobile\data\dp00\dp00.mdb
New Location(but wrong):
M:\Projects\YOURMAPPROJECT\ArcReader\PGDB\GIS_Mobile\data\dp00\dp00.mdb

If you forget that first folder GIS_Data or any other, your link is broken therefore a red exlamation. Your drive letter has to be correct too, you can't save it too a C drive if you created it on an M like above. So if your moving it around on yoru computer it will have no problem finding that orginal data because it's still where you first saved it, but if you move to another computer it won't find that original folder.
This is my guess, I might be totally wrong as this is the first time I have attempted to answer someones eles question. I am usually the one needing the help, I just have been working on my pmf lately. 

Author Scott Warner, GISP 
Date Mar 01, 2007 
Message Sorry, as far as the crashing goes....I am not sure. I haven't had problems with my project crashing YET. However I have learned that you can't package geodatabases in the Lock and compress mode as that will cause everything to stop and not even populate. 

Author Sam Goedecke 
Date Mar 01, 2007 
Message Thanks for your input. I am familiar with data sources, relative paths and all that. I now believe my problem to have been with the fact that Arc was crashing during data packaging. For some reason, that is no longer happening and my data links are working. Thanks again. 
  Sam Goedecke
GIS Dept.
Town of Alta, Utah