You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Raster display and management forum

"Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to create r...   Jean-Nicolas Poussart Nov 26, 2004
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Dan Patterson Nov 26, 2004
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jean-Nicolas Poussart Nov 26, 2004
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Kellie Steward Dec 01, 2004
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   David Alvarez Apr 06, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Kellie Steward Apr 06, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Chris Hanes May 02, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   J N May 24, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Colin Brooks Aug 04, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jess Clark Aug 22, 2006
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Keith Brooks Jan 11, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Sieger de Blok Jan 16, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Keith Brooks Jan 16, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jennifer Prather Jan 25, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Keith Brooks Jan 25, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Dean Minakami Mar 11, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Ross Dwyer Oct 08, 2009
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jairo Antonio Fuertes Barahona Apr 27, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jennifer Prather Apr 28, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Jairo Antonio Fuertes Barahona Apr 28, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Lara Leon Oct 28, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Keith Brooks Oct 29, 2008
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Marcus Ricci Jan 06, 2009
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Mehmet Can Çakar Apr 02, 2009
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Tom King May 14, 2010
Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to crea...   Chris M Mar 06, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to create raster layer" 
Author Jean-Nicolas Poussart 
Date Nov 26, 2004 
Message Hello,

Would anyone know why on certain computers it is NOT possible to display raster datasets? Error message "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer".

I know there nothing wrong with the data because it works fine on other computers.

Any help and hint would be truly appreciated.

Regards,
Nick

Subject Re: "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to create raster layer" 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Nov 26, 2004 
Message a couple of knowledge base articles and a sample thread (there are 30 more on your error message)
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=21443
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=18360
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=989&t=101323#284396

sorry for no direct answers 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Jean-Nicolas Poussart 
Date Nov 26, 2004 
Message Hello Dan,

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll check it out ...

Regards,
Nick 

Author Kellie Steward 
Date Dec 01, 2004 
Message I am having the same problem running Windows 2000 with ArcInfo 9.0. I can add up to 21 images to a view, but once I add the 22nd I start to get the Invalid Raster Dataset message. However, I can open a new session of ArcInfo and add the exact same images that previously wouldn't load, and they load fine, as long as there are only 21 of them. At least I know it is not a problem with the images themselves. These are JPEG2000 images.
Has anyone come across this problem? 

Author David Alvarez 
Date Apr 06, 2006 
Message Kellie

Did you found a solution for this problem.

I am having the same problem. The limit for me is 20 JPEG 2000.

Best regards,

David 

Author Kellie Steward 
Date Apr 06, 2006 
Message No, I haven't found a solution yet. However, this is a known problem that ESRI is aware of. See the following thread for more information.

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1740&t=169643&mc=2#msgid501215 

Author Chris Hanes 
Date May 02, 2006 
Message I'm getting the same message when I try to import Tif images from photoshop CS2. I took some PDF's and opened them in CS2 to save as tiff's. I tried every setting (compression, no compression, etc) and nothing worked in ArcGIS 9.1. I even tried changing the extension on the file (.tif .TIF .tiff and .TIFF). I can't bring them in. Yet I scanned the same document the PDF was made from and it worked fine.

Any ideas? 

Author J N 
Date May 24, 2006 
Message I was having the same problem, but with a single image (which I had in both .img and GRID formats). Deleting c:\temp\rasterproxies worked for me. Thanks guys! 

Author Colin Brooks 
Date Aug 04, 2006 
Message When I got the "Invalid Raster Dataset" message, deleting the .aux file that had the same name as the raster layer cured the problem (my raster was a DEM in grid format).

I got this idea from:
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=21443

Another user had created the .aux when imported the grid from .e00 format and somehow it wasn't valid (not sure why). All is well now...

- Colin

Author Jess Clark 
Date Aug 22, 2006 
Message I'm running ArcMap 9.0 and having this same error. I've cleared out my raster proxies, although I'm not sure that's the problem. None of my images have read-only permissions, so there should be no need to use the raster proxies.

As of right now, I can't load any raster images (jpg, tiff, img, or GRID) to an ArcMap document.

Can someone explain why, if ESRI knew this was a problem ever since 8.0, it took them until 9.2 (which I don't have) to fix this problem?

Also, any other solution ideas short of uninstalling the software? 
  Jess Clark
Remote Sensing Applications Center
http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/rsac/ 

Author Keith Brooks 
Date Jan 11, 2008 
Message Did you ever find a fix for this...I am on 9.2 Service Pack 4 and still having this issue... 
  Keith Brooks
GIS Analyst II
Kootenai Electric Co-op. 

Author Sieger de Blok 
Date Jan 16, 2008 
Message Exactly the same for me. None of the previous explanations seem to work. 

Author Keith Brooks 
Date Jan 16, 2008 
Message This is what ESRI sent and it works...It's just a pain to do.....Still no clue what caused it...I could not find any third party apps that they are talking about. The only thing unistalled and reinstalled was ESRI stuff.

*** Do not write below this line ***
Hi Keith,

I have taken ownership of this incident and I will be working with you in resolving the issue.

I understood that you are facing problem that whenever trying to open the raster images in Arcmap getting the error message as "Invalid Raster dataset"

Please try following the steps listed below:

If you or anyone else has installed any scripts/3rd party viewing applications, I would recommend uninstalling them as well. Then, reinstall ArcGIS.

1. Uninstall any Leica (ERDAS), ArcGIS related products (including any extensions) & any other 3rd-party plug-ins (ie: ER Mapper ECW for ArcGIS 9.1) that are currently installed on your machine.

2. unregister the dlls (ignore errors if they fail to unregister or are not present in the directory)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\bin\ntx86\ArcGISDomain.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\bin\ntx86\rdoBC.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\ bin\ntx86\cso.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\ bin\ntx86\rdo.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\ bin\ntx86\XFComUtility.dll

C:\Program Files\Leica Geosystems\Shared\ bin\ntx86\SxSUtility.dll

*** To unregister a DLL open a DOS window and navigate to the directory where the File is located. Once in the correct directory type "regsvr32 -u DLLNAME" (no quotes) and press ***

EXAMPLE :
=========
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\bin tx86> regsvr32 -u ArcGISDomain.dll

3. Delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster (the 'Raster folder', NOT the 'ESRI' folder)

4. Delete the {Raster} Windows registry keys in the following locations :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\{Raster}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\{Raster}

*** To access the registry, go to START > Run > type in 'regedit', press ****

5. Run the following Utility:
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=downloads.samplesUtilities.viewSample&PID=43&MetaID=1222

6. Delete any previous ArcGIS version Files by the above utility finds

7. Reboot your machine and install ArcGIS 9.2 again.

8. Please download and install the ArcGIS 9.2 Service pack 4.

Please reply back if you have any further questions or require any assistance regard to this incident.

Looking forward to your response.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Nagaraju S.

Keith Brooks
GIS Analyst II
Kootenai Electric Co-op. 

Author Jennifer Prather 
Date Jan 25, 2008 
Message This resolved the issue of not being able to view certian rasters (ie JPEG and SID files) but once ArcGIS has been re-installed, can you re-install the ArcGIS related products or Third Party Viewing applications or will this just cause the problem to return?

Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jennifer 

Author Keith Brooks 
Date Jan 25, 2008 
Message I am not sure. We had no third party software installed, only ArcView 9.2 and no extensions. Sorry, maybe someone else has tried. 
  Keith Brooks
GIS Analyst II
Kootenai Electric Co-op. 

Author Dean Minakami 
Date Mar 11, 2008 
Message I tried the fix above, but unfortunately it did not work. I'm running ArcGIS 9.2 with service pack 4. I can add jpeg and sid files but when I try to add a tif file I receive the error "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer". The tif images seem to be ok as I can use them with ArcGIS with other computers. Any suggestions? 

Author Ross Dwyer 
Date Oct 08, 2009 
Message Hello,
Did you happen to find a solution to loading .tif files into ArcMap 9.2? I have been having similar problems with the version you were using and it doesn't seem like ESRI have solved the problem in 9.3. Any light you could shine on the subject would be much appreciated!
Thanks.
Ross 

Author Jairo Antonio Fuertes Barahona 
Date Apr 27, 2008 
Message Jennifer, I had the same issue of not being able to add raster layers in ArcMap 9.2 and solved it by following the procedure indicated by Keith Brooks.

But now I'd like to know if you reinstalled the third party software again? (such as Erdas Imagine or ER Mapper plugs-in) and of course, if the problem didn't return...

Best regards.
Jairo Fuertes.

Author Jennifer Prather 
Date Apr 28, 2008 
Message Jairo,

We found that if you reload the third party software and move the SAM.dll and SAM.ps.dll found in the SocetSet software under the LIB folder from this location (in our case we moved them to the desktop) we were still able to view rasters. We believe our issue was a SocetSet and ArcMap issue.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Jennifer Prather 

Author Jairo Antonio Fuertes Barahona 
Date Apr 28, 2008 
Message Thank you very much Jennifer, I guess that by now I will keep the installation as it is, but eventually in the next weeks I will have to reinstall the third party software and will have in mind your solution if the problem appears again.

Best regards!
Jairo F. 

Author Lara Leon 
Date Oct 28, 2008 
Message Hi Keith,

I ran into the same problem and it is driving me insane, I uninstalled and installed ArcMap a thousand times. Finally decided to follow what you said on this thread. Now when trying to delete the registry key for raster, I do not see a raster key on the right. Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong or why there is no raster key on the right? Many thanks, Lara 

Author Keith Brooks 
Date Oct 29, 2008 
Message When you go into the registry you delete the folder on the left. Attached is a picture. Hope this helps. 
  Keith Brooks
GIS Analyst II
Kootenai Electric Co-op. 

Author Marcus Ricci 
Date Jan 06, 2009 
This fix may not apply to everyone, but if you use McAfee or some other function to clean old/unused files, it may work for you.

I have been working on a project with raster and vector layers over the last two years. Three times I have opened the project and all of the raster layers had been deactivated and when I tried to set the data source or re-add them - or any other raster layer - I would get the "invalid raster dataset" error. Repairing the ArcGIS software with the original discs solved the problem.

I have been using McAfee's Internet Suite and it's "QuickClean" function. I believe that it has been deleting shared .dll files necessary for ArcGIS to operate whenever I ran QuickClean. I just reran QuickClean after deselecting the "Registry Cleaner" option - where it looks like the shared .dlls were stored - and my project is working fine.

Author Mehmet Can Çakar 
Date Apr 02, 2009 
Message help me please!!! i have arcmap 9.3 but when i want to open a tif folder, i would have a message "invalid raster dataset. failed to create raster layer" i couldn't open a tif photo, what can i do???please help me!!!!i am from turkey and my e-mail is jackal_mcc@yahoo.com by the way,thank you.. 

Author Tom King 
Date May 14, 2010 
Message I have been going crazy trying to get ArcMap 9.3.1 SP1 to open georeferenced .tif files on Windows Vista - it was repeatedly throwing the 'invalid raster dataset' error.

Running ArcMap as administrator is a temporary solution - the file opens fine when this is done, but I don't consider this a full solution as I need to run it in an environment where users don't have admin rights. I will continue working on it, but I hope this is helpful to some people. 

Author Chris M 
Date Mar 06, 2010 
Message I am having a similar problem but with DEM (Aster data). The only way I can get it to recognize the file is if I open it in another program I have and export it as a Geotiff.