You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Performance forum

ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes, Cr...   Miguel Grajeda Apr 17, 2008
Re: ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes...   Stephen Lead Apr 17, 2008
Re: ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes...   Miguel Grajeda Apr 18, 2008
Re: ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes...   Jason Wegner Apr 22, 2008
Re: ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes...   Miguel Grajeda Apr 22, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes, Crashes frequently. Why? 
Author Miguel Grajeda 
Date Apr 17, 2008 
Message I'm sick of ArcMap! For all the wonderful things it can do, I'm now convinced that it's just not a very realiable program. Here's a constant problem I encounter. Maybe it's just me.

After I complete a map, many times the map requestor will come back to me at a later date and ask for the same base map, but with a different layer on top(usually points). Essentially this map is like a template.

So, what I do is this: I open the original map and save it under a different name, remove the layers that are not needed, and add a new layer. This is where ArcMap gets temperamental. When adding the new layer it will hang or freeze until the point where I get the "ArcMap is not responding" error message.

Or sometimes, instead of removing the layer completely, I am asked to isolate only certain features. For example, from a layer containing both Presentation and Specialty Telemedicine sites, I was asked to map only Presentation sites. So I do this:

1)Select only the Presentation sites.
2)Export the selected features
3)Add new shapefile (Adds fine the first time)

Here is where the ArcMap temperament starts again. I try to add another layer but Arcmap hangs (stupid little hourglass) and then crashes. Why?!!! Also, it'll only do this with that layer, for whatever reason. It adds other layers just fine.

My workaround has been this: I open a blank arcmap workspace and add the "faulty" layer there. It adds the layer fine. Then I drag it to my origininal workspace. Another workaround is this: I add the "faulty" layer along with a layer that adds fine. That also works.

What the hell is wrong with Arcmap? I thought about adding whatever the last Service Packet was hoping there might already be a fix. However, as many of you may know, this process is also risky. I had to reinstall ArcMap TWICE adding the first two SPs. I gave up adding SPs after that.

Help!

Subject Re: ArcMap 9.2 Not Reliable! Hangs, Freezes, Crashes frequently. Why? 
Author Stephen Lead 
Date Apr 17, 2008 
Message Miguel,

I'd definitely recommend keeping up to date with service packs, to ensure you're using the latest functionality.

Have you tried deleting (or renaming) your normal template? Found at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\Templates\Normal.mxt

Where is the problematic dataset stored - network drive or local drive? Could it be a network issue? Does the problem occur if you drag and drop the layer from ArcCatalog rather than using Add Data in ArcMap?

You wrote "Another workaround is this: I add the "faulty" layer along with a layer that adds fine" - is it only this particular layer which causes the problem?

Incidentally, a faster way of working might be to create a selection layer rather than exporting selected features to a new shapefile (this can clutter up the disk with lots of outdated datasets). When you have selected the Presentation sites, right-click on the layer in the TOC and choose > Selection > Create Layer from Selected Features.

This will create a new layer in the TOC which only shows the desired features - the layer's source is the original dataset rather than a copy.

Steve 

Author Miguel Grajeda 
Date Apr 18, 2008 
Message Stephen and Jeff, thanks for your replies!

I think I should stop using the word "template" since it seems to confuse people. Actually, this can happen with any map that I use as a basis to create another map. You see, sometimes people ask for a variant of a specific map (e.g. add or delete a certain feature). Thus, instead of creating a whole new map, I open the map in question and save it under a different name. I make the requested changes to this newly saved map (I'll refer to this as the "new" map).

The problem can be with ANY layer, but only within the workspace of the new map (the layer will open fine in any other workspace).

Sometimes I am forced to have both maps open (i.e. the new map and the original from which it was created). This is when the problem starts. Arcmap gets thrown off course. I guess it thinks both maps are the same one, even though they have been saved under different names (similar to when you mistakenly open the same map and try to save).

There's always one layer that causes arcmap to crash. In the last case it was a layer that had been created from an export. However, it doesn't have to be.

I will take heed to all your template advice, as I am in the process of creating templates of states that I frequently map.

Also, Stephen, your selection layer advice is excellent. I was never really aware if this feature until recently when i went back to school and saw my instructor use it. However, I always though that it stored the new layer in the hard drive as a shape or something similar. Is this feature recent (9.2)?

Lastly, i am working off of my local drive.

Thank you guys for all of your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Author Jason Wegner 
Date Apr 22, 2008 
Message From what I can gather, I think you are in the minority with your troubles. Whether that's good news or not, at least that means there's room for improvement.

First, I would take a hard look at your computer. It could be a hardware problem, it could be a software problem. I've even seen faulty network issues affect programs very negatively, although they are running locally. I would write down the errors that you're getting when ArcMap crashes, then go to Google to see what you can find. I'll bet that your errors have less to do with ArcMap than your overall system health. I've never seen a service pack force the need for a reinstall of the entire program.

Other ideas I'll just throw out there for thoughts: How much RAM do you have? What operating system are you running? Video card capabilities? Free space on your HD? What's your pagefile size? How long has it been since a fresh install of the OS? What is the network software in use at your organization? Do you use Novell with a roaming network profile?

Just some thoughts... 

Author Miguel Grajeda 
Date Apr 22, 2008 
Message Thanks for that advice. I'll look into several of the things you recommended. Well, I don't have the fastest computer, but it does meet all of the minimum requirement for 9.2. The last time my OS was refreshed was less than a year ago (I get an automatic refresh every two or three years). I also have about 25GB of free disk space. I'm sure that if you look for posts around the time that 9.2 came out you will find several people that were experiencing the same problems with the SPs. I'm 100% sure of that.

Overall, I think I'm in the minority. I think Arcmap probably gets confused when two maps that are exactly the same are open, even though they have a different name. I'll just avoid that from now on.

Thanks again.