Garbage truck routing   Kevin Bell Dec 18, 2009
Re: Garbage truck routing   Jay Sandhu Dec 18, 2009
Re: Garbage truck routing   Kevin Bell Dec 18, 2009
Re: Garbage truck routing   Robert Wright Mar 11, 2010
Re: Garbage truck routing   Kevin Bell Mar 11, 2010
Re: Garbage truck routing   Robert Wright Mar 11, 2010
Re: Garbage truck routing   Joe Borgione Mar 11, 2010
Re: Garbage truck routing   Stefan Vienken Mar 17, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Garbage truck routing 
Author Kevin Bell 
Date Dec 18, 2009 
Message I'm just getting started with routing garbage trucks, and I plan to use the vehicle routing problem routine. Has anyone out there ever done this? I'm currently testing my network by computing the best route to about 1000 homes, and my machine is choking on it.

Stopping at every residential home seems a lot meaner problems that routing school buses.

Can Network Analyst handle a route at this scale? 

Subject Re: Garbage truck routing 
Author Jay Sandhu 
Date Dec 18, 2009 
Message Garbage Truck Routing of residential homes is not optimally solved by a vehicle routing problem solver. This is a different type of problem and best solved by what is called a "Chinese postman" solver also known as "Euler tour". VRP is also set to solve routes that are divided up between many vehicles with some capacity such that each individual route is only a few stops (say 30 to 50). Trying to solve a 1000 stops with a single vehicle will not be fast. And using the 9.3 VRP will not be able to the best solution as it is not solving a Chinese postman problem and the fact that currently intermediate stops do not have a restriction on making u-turns which will give you "unacceptable" routes for a garbage truck.
Regards,
Jay Sandhu 

Author Kevin Bell 
Date Dec 18, 2009 
Message Thanks for the feedback.

Solving the route without VRP has giving me decent results when I've only fed it 150 stops, but running thousands has not performed well.

I think I'll devise a method to remove points except for block ends and a the middle of the block in order to speed things up. 

Author Robert Wright 
Date Mar 11, 2010 
Message Kevin,

Sorry for the late response.

I had to do this about two years ago for our city's Solid Waste department. We didn't have the VRP solver at the time... so I had to do most of the planning outside of Network Analysis. Organized the city into geographic polygons with a min / max pick up of about 280 to 300 collections. Then I ran the standard route solver to figure out best pick up order, by travel time. I had to do some tweaking in the final stage of development to organize the actual driver’s routes, but it worked. Our city is about 90,000 in its population base…

Hope this approach helped

Robert Wright

Author Kevin Bell 
Date Mar 11, 2010 
Message Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to get more detail on the type of tweaking that you did.

I'm weighting turns too heavily I think, and I did that in order to promote straighter routes and I can run really nice routes on areas with a grid style street layout, but the route degrades as the street layout becomes more complex.

Author Robert Wright 
Date Mar 11, 2010 
Message Kevin,
Here is my e-mail. As this process didn't use the VRP solver Ill send you some info via e-mail.
rwright@las-cruces.org

Robert 

Author Joe Borgione 
Date Mar 11, 2010 
Message Kevin- not surprised to hear you think your turns are too heavy. I had that same issue and have reduced them to next to nothing in my fire truck routing. (I've had some field provided data that helped a lot.)

Do a search on a Mike Price ArcUser article last summer (09) or so. I use his recommended impedance times, somewhere around just a few seconds for left or right turns. 
  Joe Borgione
AlpineGeographic  

Author Stefan Vienken 
Date Mar 17, 2010 
This is a problem of high density routing (driving along every street in an area), we are using RouteSmart (Extension for ArcGIS) for questions like this. Snow plowing, postman etc. are further examples.

Pure VRP (and ArcLogistics) is approriate for low density routing only.