ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcPad 7.0: GPS forum

Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   Eric Tomlin Mar 28, 2007
Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   Rebecca Niggemann Mar 28, 2007
Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   Eric Tomlin Mar 28, 2007
Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   Brad Mayo Mar 28, 2007
Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   William Crawford Mar 28, 2007
Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up   Neil Christie Mar 28, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Trimble GeoXT freeze-up 
Author Eric Tomlin 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message Hi

I have a relatively new Trimble GeoXT handheld that has somehow come to a point to where nothing is shown on it's screen, except a back-lit screen with no graphics. It was working fine when I left it last night, but this morning was found this way. I have held the power button for a long time several times now in effort to reboot it, but to no avail.

Thanks, 

Subject Re: Trimble GeoXT freeze-up 
Author Rebecca Niggemann 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message Hi Eric,
This has happened to a few of our GeoXTs also. I have successfully restarted them by holding the power button. Sometimes it takes holding the power button for up to 60 seconds. Not sure how long you were holding your power button before releasing it. Anyway, you can always try the other types of restarts for the GeoXT, which can be found here:
http://trl.trimble.com/dscgi/ds.py/Get/File-283722/MGIS_SprtNote_Geo2005_Reset.pdf

One of our users also found that just letting the power run out on the device also solves the problem, but it certainly doesn't help you get your work done!

It would be really nice if Trimble would post something on their website about this issue since it's clearly not an isolated issue. 

Author Eric Tomlin 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message Rebecca,

Thanks a ton. It worked great, and I cannot understand why it didnt work like this before. I obviously wasnt holding it long enough!

Thanks again,

Author Brad Mayo 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message We do the same hardware reset by holding the ON/OFF button for 60 seconds. BTW, that is a really long time when you don't have something to set the unit against... I heard from a Trimble guy that "Bad Things" happen to the battery management and that is what cause some of the black or even white screen lockups.

I could never attribute my problems to the battery. What we found is running the device with ArcPad running for several days resulted in weird issues. Shutting down ArcPad at the end of the day and rebooting the device every few days made the problem less of a concern.

I recently heard about a product DinarSoft MemMaid QuickClean. It does some memory cleaning and seemed to help on the lockups. Then again, sometimes moving the magic pixie dust is all that is needed...

YMMV, 
  Brad Mayo
Henkels & McCoy

Author William Crawford 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message I also get the lockup once in awhile when booting my laptop pc with the GeoXM in the communications cradle. I get the grey screen, then it goes black. I hold the power button for 20 or 30 seconds and it reboots scanning the disk and so on. I've never had the unit lockup in the field and I've used it in the rain and cold and on all day marking out pre commercial thinning boundaries and strip lines.

I'm only speculating here but the battery may be getting over charged. I've seen it happen on the old GEO 3's. Get to the woods and the battery is dead after sitting in the cradle all night. Recharge it and it's fine. 

Author Neil Christie 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message If you're using a 2005 Series GeoXT this link might help.

http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-298962/MGIS_SprtNote_Geo2005_SlowApplications.pdf

We had a similar problem with a GeoXH that would grind to a halt every couple of days. Took quite a few months to convince Trimble that we had a problem that wasn't ArcPad related. Still get the white screen occassionally, 2-3 times over six months (much better than 2-3 times a week).

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Neil.