ArcGIS Desktop - File Geodatabases forum

Best practice in sharing a file geodatabase   Duncan Hornby Apr 08, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   Michael Knight Apr 08, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   Duncan Hornby Apr 08, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   David Sousa Jun 27, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   Lori Ehman Jun 26, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   Michael Knight Jun 26, 2008
Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodata...   David Sousa Jun 27, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Best practice in sharing a file geodatabase 
Author Duncan Hornby 
Date Apr 08, 2008 
Message All,

Hopefully this is a nice easy question? I've recently upgraded to 9.2 at work and exploring the new tools.

The file geodatabase is a folder based structure. If I wanted to share a file geodatabase with a client, is it a simple matter of going into Windows file explorer and zipping up the folder? This I could then email to them? Have I missed any critical step?

Duncan 
  GeoData Institute 

Subject Re: Best practice in sharing a file geodatabase 
Author Michael Knight 
Date Apr 08, 2008 
Message That's pretty much it. 
  Michael Knight
GIS Solutions Architect
Contract Land Staff, LLC
Stafford, Texas

http://www.contractlandstaff.com

Author Duncan Hornby 
Date Apr 08, 2008 
Message Michael,

Thanks, I was hoping it was that simple.

It's just that classic examples are when people try to send me raster/coverage datasets and they miss the INFO directory. I was wondering, as I am new to file geodatabases, if there was some hidden trap that I may fall foul to. I could not find anything obvious in the help files.

Monkey see Monkey do!

Duncan 
  GeoData Institute 

Author David Sousa 
Date Jun 27, 2008 
Message Hello Duncan,

If you get the entire folder copied, then you will be OK.

At the time the File Geodatabase was designed, it was well understood the problems from the past copying coverages but forgetting the INFO folder, or copying a shapefile .SHP but forgetting the .SHX and/or .DBF. Efforts were made to avoid those problems as much as possible.

One thing to be aware of is if your File Geodatabase has an unmanaged raster catalog. If you copy the .GDB folder, that will miss the unmanaged rasters since by definition the rasters exist elsewhere in the file system. You will have to take that into account. If your raster catalog is of the managed variety, you don't have to worry, because the rasters are stored in the .GDB folder as tables within the database.

The only other thing you need to be careful about is whether other people are updating the File Geodatabase at the same time that you are copying it. Pay attention to any error messages that occur during the process of copying or zipping.

-David Sousa

Author Lori Ehman 
Date Jun 26, 2008 
Message I uploaded a file geodatabase to an ftp website, by copying and pasting (control-c, control-v) and when they downloaded it, their arccatalog didn't recognize it. They are also in 9.2 with SP5.

Did I miss a step in sharing this database? Was I suppose to zip-it first?
Thanks. 

Author Michael Knight 
Date Jun 26, 2008 
Message As long as you copied the entire folder you should have gotten everything. Try it with ArcCatalog just in case... 
  Michael Knight
GIS Solutions Architect
Contract Land Staff, LLC
Stafford, Texas

http://www.contractlandstaff.com

Author David Sousa 
Date Jun 27, 2008 
Message If the entire contents File Geodatabase folder was successfully copied, the only explanation I can think of is that the new folder did not have the correct file extension. If the extension was not .GDB, then ArcGIS will not recognize it.

So, checking the resulting file extension is the first thing to do. If it is wrong, just fix it in windows explorer.

If the extension is OK, I suggest using a diff tool to compare the original source folder to the folder on the ftp site, and then the one on the ftp site to the final copy.

You don't have to zip it first, but that might not be a bad idea.

-David Sousa