You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3.2   Gilberto Ríos Oct 21, 2004
Re: How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3...   Duncan RAY Oct 21, 2004
Re: How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3...   Gilberto Ríos Oct 22, 2004
Re: How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3...   Duncan RAY Oct 22, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3.2 
Author Gilberto Ríos 
Date Oct 21, 2004 
Message The procedure I have, indicate that import process begin in ArcInfo, I´m a new user of ArcInfo, and basically what I´m trying, is to use a dem file (or.hgt for what matter) in Arc View 3.2 The problem seems to be the first step, the procedure ask for an IMAGEGRID comand in ArcInfo to convert the .dem or .hgt into an info grid, but I have been unable to find this IMAGEGRID command!.

Does anybody would kindly indicate a solution?
thanks... 

Subject Re: How to use DEM files (.hgt) in ArcView3.2 
Author Duncan RAY 
Date Oct 21, 2004 
Message If you state you are using ArcInfo, the UNIX version, then when you start ArcInfo, by entering the 'arc' command, within a command window, and press enter you should then see the disclaimer of ESRI, and you will be presented with the Arc: prompt.

At that prompt, once you are in ArcInfo, you type IMAGEGRID and the help description will be displayed.

However, if you are NOT using ArcInfo Workstation, and you are using ArcView or ArcGIS, the command is executed in a different manner, which I am sure someone having more experience in that arena will share with you. 

Author Gilberto Ríos 
Date Oct 22, 2004 
Message The ArcInfo version is 5.3.1 running under DOS in a PC. When I typed the command it return an error mesage indicating the command is not present.
--------------
The DEM files are .hgt 30 arcs resolution provided by the GLCF at the University of Maryland.

Does exist a way to convert those DEMs into a grid that can be used in ArcView, other than the recipe the GLCF provide?

Or better yet, is there a way to obtain this IMAGEGRID command?

---------------------
Thanks Duncan 

Author Duncan RAY 
Date Oct 22, 2004 
Message You are, therefore, based on your comment, "Under DOS in a PC", probably running PC-ArcINFO. I am not sure if you need to have purchased extension for PC-ArcINFO in order to execute more sophisticated routines.

You need to look into the documentation of the version of Pc-ArcINFO you have and see if there is a command similar to IMAGEGRID available. Search the help files for PC-ArcINFO so see if there are references to manipulating images, and to see if you can then access your command.

For ArcINFO, GRID is a program additional to ArcINFO, that one needs to purchase. I believe it is the same for PC-ArcINFO, and, therefore, without the purchased extension of GRID, the command does not exist, as it is not possible to perform the routine without GRID available.

I have not worked with the file format you are identifying, but your first step is to do a little research into how complete your version of PC-ArcINFO actually is.