Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   Ted McCaslin Feb 26, 2004
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   Maynard Hansen Feb 26, 2004
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   James Luke Blair May 05, 2004
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   bruce reagan Mar 14, 2005
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   bruce reagan Mar 15, 2005
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   Brian Gelder Mar 25, 2005
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   Amanda Henley Feb 07, 2008
Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data.   Richard Daniels Dec 31, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data. 
Author Hans Jensen 
Date Sep 16, 2003 
Message ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data by clicking the "Add Data"-button and from the Browser pane doubleclicking C:/.
The same happens when I double-clicking C:/ in the ArcCatalog tree, then ArcCatalog crashes.

I have tried to reinstall and to remove the Normal.gxt/.mxt and ArcCatalog.gx -files from my profiles-folder.

The system that I am using is Win 2000. 

Subject Re: ArcMap crashes when I try to Add Data. 
Author Betsy Rogers 
Date Sep 23, 2003 
Message The same thing happens to me, but only when trying to load a point shape file. Poly shape files and line shape files load fine.
Any suggestions? 

Author Ted McCaslin 
Date Feb 26, 2004 
Message I have the same problem...only when adding point shape files. 

Author Maynard Hansen 
Date Feb 26, 2004 
Message ArcMap spontaneously started crashing when I clicked the 'add data' button yesterday. I tracked the problem to the presence of 1 file that was in the directory (in my case a ".loc" file) that was either corrupt or ArcMap just didn't like.

If you are having crashing problems on add data, try moving all of the files in a directory (i.e. C\), you don't have to worry about moving the folders under C:\. Then try using the add data command. If it works, add the files you moved back in slowly to find the corrupt file.

Author James Luke Blair 
Date May 05, 2004 
Message files with .loc extensions will crash ArcMap and ArcCatalog when you try to open their containing folder. Not sure why, but renaming the files to .txt will fix this.

Luke 

Author bruce reagan 
Date Mar 14, 2005 
Message I'm having this same issue.

ArcMap crashes when I try to load a point feature. It doesn't seem to matter if it is an SDE feature, a shapefile located on my local hard drive or the point feature of a coverage.

I have done a search of my hard drives and found no .loc files.

Anyone figure out this problem? 

Author bruce reagan 
Date Mar 15, 2005 
Message The solution to my problem was the personal style file on my computer. when I renamed it, I was able to add point features. Apparently something was corrupt in there.

C:\Documents and Settings\[mylogin]\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\[mylogin].style

Author Brian Gelder 
Date Mar 25, 2005 
Message A heads up to all out there with add data crash problems, don't get caught up on looking for *.loc files or other files in particular. In your case its probably a different corrupt file type.
If ArcMap or ArcCatalog crash when you try to add data or view a folder remember this:
ArcMap and ArcCatalog always default to the last folder you used, i.e., when you hit the Add Data button it opens the last folder you got data from or the last folder you browsed in ArcCatalog. My suggestion for anyone with the crashing problem in the future would be to use windows explorer and delete the last files created in that folder, as they are likely the corrupt ones. Good luck. 

Author Amanda Henley 
Date Feb 07, 2008 
Message Thanks for these posts. I work on many different projects and couldn't remember the last location I had added data from. These posts gave me the idea to use ArcCatalog to remove the connection to the entire networked drive I work from. That worked as well.
Amanda

Author Richard Daniels 
Date Dec 31, 2008 
Message The Add Data button opens showing the last location you added data from. In some cases, if that location is partly unavailable (e.g., server responds but the disk is not mounted) you may have this issue.

To get ArcMap or ArcCatalog past this issue you need to change the LastBrowseLocation defined in your registry to a known-good location (e.g., C:\).

The registry setting to update is \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcCatalog\Settings\LastBrowseLocation 
  Richard Daniels