You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog Metadata forum

Connection OLE DB Oracle   luca dentone Feb 07, 2003
Re: Connection OLE DB Oracle   Olivier Damanet Feb 07, 2003
Re: Connection OLE DB Oracle   luca dentone Feb 07, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Connection OLE DB Oracle 
Author luca dentone 
Date Feb 07, 2003 
Message I connect to Database Oracle 8i on the Server via ArcCatalog. I use " Add OLE DB Conection" with "ORACLE Provider for OLE DB". I see in the ArcCatalog the tables's Database Oracle.
The connectiong is succesfull!. I have all privileges on the tables,Ii'm proprietary user.
I'have the problem when I search to import one table on ArcMap. I don't have the permission for take a "Select by attributes". I'am succesfull if in search to selection all records but the voice of menu "Select by Atributes" isn't enabled. Why?
Can someOne to solve my problem?
The same problem there is if I search to make a selection by code in VBA. 

prioritary

Subject Re: Connection OLE DB Oracle 
Author Olivier Damanet 
Date Feb 07, 2003 
Message You can not use 'Select by attributes' with OLE DB data source. From Desktop help:
------------------
"Most data sources supported by ArcCatalog and ArcMap provide an ObjectID field with their tabular data. In these cases, the ObjectID field is accessed directly and used by the table window in ArcMap and the table view in ArcCatalog.

The following data sources, however, do not contain an ObjectID field with their tabular data:

-OLE DB data
-Delimited text file data
-Nonspatial data from SDE 3 (Note: spatial data has an ObjectID field)
-Unregistered nonspatial data from ArcSDE 8 (Note: unregistered spatial data has an ObjectID field)

If you open one of these tables, ArcMap temporarily adds an ObjectID field to it to support some operations on the table. However, the following functionality is not available:

->Select by Attributes. You cannot select records in the table by attribute values. However, interactive selections, made via the table window, will work fine.
->Relates. The table can only be related to in one direction. For example, you can add a relate on a shapefile to an OLE DB table, but you can't add a relate or an OLE DB table to a shapefile. However, you will not be able to propagate a selection from the shapefile to the table. Instead, you can use the identify tool to access the related data.
Modifying Data. You cannot add or delete fields or edit the values in the table from the user interface in ArcMap or ArcCatalog. However, connections to some databases using OLE DB allow you to edit the data programmatically."
--------
By code, you should be able to query the data (using ITable::Search instead of IAttributesQuery). See http://arconline.esri.com/arcobjectsonline/default.asp?URL=/ArcObjectsOnline/Samples/Geodatabase/Queries/PerformAttributeQuery.htm 
  Olivier. 

Subject Re: Connection OLE DB Oracle 
Author luca dentone 
Date Feb 07, 2003 
Message Dear Olivier, tanks you for your quickly
answer.
I understand what you saw me, but I have always a problem. If I wanted to select by attributes (or by code VBA) a number of records from a Database Oracle through connection OLE DB, what I have to make? I don't think is impossible to question the part of a paticular table into the Oracle Database. If I have five millions of records with the coordinates X,Y into a table and I want to see only 10 records through a query and to visualize them in ArcMap, I cannot? No it's impossible!
I think of doing create a particular field into Oracle Database that allows me to do this operation. Dear Olivier perhaps are you the solution? Thanks you very much.

Luca Dentone 

prioritary