Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Brian Issa Apr 26, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Dan Patterson Apr 27, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Brian Issa Apr 27, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Dan Patterson Apr 27, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Jim Mossman Apr 28, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Brian Issa May 03, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   Jim Mossman May 12, 2004
Re: Symbolizing features with multiple valu...   shane moore Sep 11, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Symbolizing features with multiple values for multiple attributes 
Author Brian Issa 
Date Apr 26, 2004 
Message I'm trying to symbolize water quality sites where we are measing 5 parameters. I would like to have a single symbol for each site that depicts the status of each of the 5 parameters at that site. For instance, mabey a pie chart where each of the 5 pieces could be either red, yellow, or green depending on the status of each parameter at that site.
Is there a way to do this? 

Subject Re: Symbolizing features with multiple values for multiple attributes 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Apr 26, 2004 
Message Brian
See "chart map" page 136 of your Using ArcMap manual 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Brian Issa 
Date Apr 26, 2004 
Message I would if I had one. Could you give me a short synopsis of how to go about this?
Thanks 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Apr 27, 2004 
Message right-click the layer in the table of contents. Click the symbology tab, check out the Charts/pie or bar/column/stacked options 

Author Brian Issa 
Date Apr 27, 2004 
Message I know how to create a standard chart map. What I'm trying to do is different.

For example: I have a site where we measure 5 parameters. The values for these parameters are not related to each other (they don't add to 100%). I want to have a pie chart that has 5 equal pieces with each piece colored based on the value for that particular parameter, in this case the number of days over the state standard for that parameter. So in the end, I'll have 30 or so pie charts, all the same size and with the same divisions, with only the colors of each slice changing based on the values at that site.
Does that make sense? 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Apr 27, 2004 
Message That is clearer and I see no way of doing this through the standard interface. 

Author Jim Mossman 
Date Apr 28, 2004 
Message Hi Brian:

There is at least one way to do this, but it would require building a special marker symbol and then the symbol colors would have to be assigned manually (that is using the Symbol Property Editor to change the color of each of the five layers).

For an example of how this would work check out the "DDV's Population Plus" symbol set on ESRI's ArcScripts. The symbol you would need would be similar, except that the center (representing population) would be left out and the circle would be made up of six layers; five for representing data and the sixth a black outline.

The July-Sept 2003 ArcUser magazine article "Special Symbols for Special Needs" gives more details on design and use of this type of symbol (page 32).

One person expressed some interest in this approach to symbolizing multiple values for ten or eleven elements, but the volume of their data precluded doing it manually, so this was not pursued.

Let me know if this is something you could use in spite of having to assign colors manually. If so, I'll put this on my "To Do" list of new marker sets.

Regards,
Jim Mossman
Data Deja View

Author Brian Issa 
Date May 03, 2004 
Message Jim,
That looks like what I'm after! If possible, I'd like to know how you went about building these symbols. Could you give me a synopsis of the process including programs used etc? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Thanks 

Author Jim Mossman 
Date May 12, 2004 
Message Hi Brian:

The short story is: use a font developemnet software package (such as Fontographer of FontLab) to build the TTFs and then either use ArcMap's Symbol Property Editor capabilities to build the symbols (not much fun if you are making a lot of symbols) or a VB program to put the symbols together (there are some samples in ArcObjects Online).

There are some "gotchas" you may encounter along the way, so the long story is contained in a one-day workshop that I have put together. I gave this at last year's UC in San Diego, but only five people opted to take it. It was well received, but because of the small attendance ESRI decided not to include it in the pre-conference workshops this year.

I would love to resurrect the workshop, however, getting enough interested people has been a real problem. I don't have any advertising budget and only try to recover costs with workshop fees. So right now it doesn't look like I will be able to offer this anytime soon.

I am in the middle of another project right now, but as soon as I have some time, I'll start working on a set of symbols for this type of use. There does seem to be some continuing interest in this. I will probably include circles broken into two through seven or more segments and I'll also probably experiment with star shapes (three-pointed stars, four-pointed stars, etc.).

Regards,
Jim
Data Deja View 

Author shane moore 
Date Sep 11, 2007 
Message I know this is an old message but did anything ever come of this? I am trying to do the same thing at the moment.

Thanks
Shane