You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

Cannot import layer symbology with multiple...   andrew cooper May 19, 2004
Re: Cannot import layer symbology with mult...   andrew cooper Jun 16, 2004
Re: Cannot import layer symbology with mult...   Miroslav Holubec Nov 11, 2004
Re: Cannot import layer symbology with mult...   andrew cooper Nov 11, 2004
Re: Cannot import layer symbology with mult...   Jason Myers Jan 18, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Cannot import layer symbology with multiple attributes. 
Author andrew cooper 
Date May 19, 2004 
Message I can import a layer's symbolgy as long as it uses a single symbology attribute; such as graduated symbols.

As soon as I try to import a layer which uses multiple attributes I get the following error message:
"This symbology option is not supported for importing."

Why doesn't ArcMap allow me to import a layer's symbology with multiple attributes?

Since I already made this post, I have another question:

Is there a way for ArcMap to create multiple layers based on one shapefile...without the use of a script? For example, I have a point shapefile with lots of points and want to create multiple layers based off a field value of that point. Say a field was "Age"....can I create multiple layers that will only show a specific age for each layer?

I have manually done this by using the query builder. I have to import my shapefile n times, and then use the query builder to only show one age for each layer. 

Subject Re: Cannot import layer symbology with multiple attributes. 
Author andrew cooper 
Date Jun 16, 2004 
Message Is there anyone who has a solution to my problems?

I am creating the shapefiles using the shapelib library: http://shapelib.maptools.org/

Regarding the question of creating multiple layers based on a single shapefile, I could create multiple point shapefiles based off a single attribute (like AGE), but this is undesirable due to the fact I could have over 80 shapefiles.

In ArcMAP, does a multipoint shapefile look similar to having multiple layers, where you can check/uncheck each layer from showing on the screen? If so, it would possible for me to view any combination of ages at one time, or all if I wish.

Any reply is appreciated! 

Author Miroslav Holubec 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message Hi, I have the same problem.
Have you resolve it? Can you send me the solution?
I use ArcMap 8.3.
Thanks
Miro 
  ---------------------------
Mgr. Miroslav Holubec
GIS freelancer
Bratislava, Slovak Republic

Author andrew cooper 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message Unfortunately, I was unable to find a solution.

Good Luck,

Andrew Cooper 

Author Jason Myers 
Date Jan 18, 2005 
Message I don't think there is a solution to the importation issue.

I might not understand you question, but you can use one shapefile as many times in a map as you want, and they can all have different symbology. You can turn them on and off independantly.

All the shapefile is is a data source, you can point multiple layers to the same data source.