ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Bart Young Jan 10, 2005
Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Hawthorne Beyer Jan 10, 2005
Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Bart Young Jan 10, 2005
Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Michel Audet Jan 10, 2005
Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Dan Patterson Jan 10, 2005
Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon   Valentina Boycheva Jan 10, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Obtaining the outline of a polygon 
Author Bart Young 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message I am trying to create a polygon shapefile to use in a clip operation (ie. Poly_Clip). The reason I would like to obtain the outline of a polygon is that I have an existing polygon (Poly_A) that I would like to use most of it for a clip but not all of it.

So far I have been creating Poly_Clip in ArcMap using the editor toolbar and tracing most of Poly_A and then adding a few of my own vertices to finish it off. It seems like a lot of work just to mimic an already existing polygon with a few new points.

So I was wondering if there was some tool or something to obtain all the vertices of Poly_A without creating them myself and then with these vertices I could alter them to form Poly_Clip.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bart 

Subject Re: Obtaining the outline of a polygon 
Author Hawthorne Beyer 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message What you can do is Start Editing the original shapefile (Poly_A), select the polygon with the "Edit Tool" (the little arrowhead on the Editor toolbar), then go to the Edit menu and select Copy. Now stop editing that shapefile, and start editing the new one, and select Edit, Paste to copy that shape into the new shapefile. Now if you switch your task to Modify Feature, you will be able to drag particular vertices to different places, add new verticies, and reshape that polygon however you wish.

(If you want to skip all that copy paste procedure, just copy the original shapefile in ArcCatalog, and start editing the new copy).

Sincerely,
Hawthorne 

Author Bart Young 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message Hawthorne,

I followed your advice and when I clicked with on the polygon with the modify feature selected it only produced one vertex which was where the polygon closed.

I was able to manipulate the polygon a little bit but I would need more vertices for what I need. Is this a problem with my data that for some reason the polygon only has one vertex? I did not thing that was possible for a polygon.

Anyways I marked that your response answered my question as it was very helpful.

Thanks
Bart 

Author Michel Audet 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message Just create a new shapefile with the polygon you need. It will easy to modify the polygon

Select the polygon
Right click on layer name, select data, export data

Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message once the shape is saved, you can split it (see help under "splitting features then Splitting lines and polygons") then discard the part you don't need 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Valentina Boycheva 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message The freeware extension X-tools has a function "Convert polygons to polylines" in the "Feature Conversions" menu. The only downside is that it processes the whole layer instead of prompting whether to use only the selection. The output is stored in a new shapefile.

X-Tools Pro can process selected only and has some other options. A 30-day demo is available at www.xtoolspro.com.

Valentina Boycheva
Senior GIS Programmer/Analyst
http://www.jonesedmunds.com