You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

Save drawing as a shape file?   Bagman 3rd Jul 21, 2005
Re: Save drawing as a shape file?   Dan Patterson Jul 21, 2005
Re: Save drawing as a shape file?   Michael Knight Jul 21, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Save drawing as a shape file? 
Author Bagman 3rd 
Date Jul 21, 2005 
Message I have using the drawing editor to create a few polygons on 1 raster image with one CAD drawing overlaying the image. I have saved both layers and re-opened in a new .mxd, but none of my polygons are attached to either layer. I dont understand where these polygons exist since they dont have their own layer, nor are they attached to either of the other 2 layers in my .mxd.

How do I save these polygons as a shape file?

Thanks for any help.

Archer 

Subject Re: Save drawing as a shape file? 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jul 21, 2005 
Message if they are graphics, check this forum using "convert graphics to shapefile" as a keyword phrase 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Subject Re: Save drawing as a shape file? 
Author Michael Knight 
Date Jul 21, 2005 
Message If you just use the drawing tool bar you get graphics attached to the default annotation layer of the map. Right click on the dataframe and select properties. There is tab called annotation groups. This is where your polygons are inside of the map. If you want a shapefile. Create a new one in ArcCatalog and add it to ArcMap. From here you have two choices:
1. Start an edit session and use the edit sketch tools to draw your polygons etc ..
Or
2. Start an edit session, select all of the graphics, select Copy from the edit menu, then paste from the edit menu.

Stop editing and save edits. You now have a new shapefile. 
  Michael Knight
GIS Solutions Architect
Contract Land Staff, LLC
Stafford, Texas

http://www.contractlandstaff.com