ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

Label with Subscript and Superscript   Rob McCulley Sep 16, 2005
Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript   Ken Buja Sep 16, 2005
Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript   Rob McCulley Sep 16, 2005
Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript   shane cabantog Jun 14, 2006
Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript   Molly Sandomire Jun 14, 2006
Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript   shane cabantog Jun 14, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Label with Subscript and Superscript 
Author Rob McCulley 
Date Sep 16, 2005 
Message I am working on producing a soil capability map, and I need to create labels were certain characters have both a subscript and a superscript character following it. See http://www.vermilion-river.ab.ca/images/sub_sup.jpg for an example of what I'm trying to do. Is this possible in ArcMap? 

Subject Re: Label with Subscript and Superscript 
Author Ken Buja 
Date Sep 16, 2005 
Message Take a look in the text properties windown and select "About Formatting Text". This gives you the text formatting tags you'll need. In your case, your text string is below in the code section. Do be aware that if you have "&" and "<" in your text string, you have to use their equivalent character codes. See the help for these codes. 

2<SUP>8</SUP><SUB>C</SUB>5<SUP>2</SUP><SUB>W</SUB>

To make it look even more like your example use this string:
2<CHR spacing="-100"><SUP>8</SUP></CHR><SUB>C</SUB>5<CHR spacing="-100"><SUP>2</SUP></CHR><SUB>W</SUB>

Ken Buja

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
1305 East-West Highway, N/SCI1
Silver Spring MD 20910-3281
(301) 713-3028 x140
ken.buja@noaa.gov 

Author Rob McCulley 
Date Sep 16, 2005 
Message Thanks Ken - I had looked at the text formatting options, but I didn't realize that the character spacing number could be negative. That worked perfectly. 

Author shane cabantog 
Date Jun 14, 2006 
Message how bout only character spacing on labels? I tried the script you gave before, it won't work on my arcmap
-------
is this correct? 

Function FindLabel ( [STREET] )
  FindLabel = [STREET]
2<CHR spacing="-100"><SUP>8</SUP></CHR><SUB>C</SUB>5<CHR spacing="-100"><SUP>2</SUP></CHR><SUB>W</SUB>
End Function

Author Molly Sandomire 
Date Jun 14, 2006 
Message No need to use the Advanced parser, just put the ArcMap text tags in quotes and concatenate them into the expression. For example:

[Text] & "<SUB>" & [subscript] & "</SUB>"

Author shane cabantog 
Date Jun 14, 2006 
Message thanks, i already also found character spacing and others