You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

switching between float and single use lice...   John Cartwright Oct 15, 2001
Concurrent license away from the office? -...   Brian Peters Oct 24, 2001
slightly different question   John Cartwright Oct 24, 2001
ArcView is part of ArcGIS   Crystal Oct 24, 2001
Perfect!   John Cartwright Oct 24, 2001
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject switching between float and single use license 
Author John Cartwright 
Date Oct 15, 2001 
Message Hello All,

I have ArcGIS (desktop and workstation) installed on a laptop. When I am in the office, I would like to use one of our floating licenses (license manager runs on another machine). However, when I am travelling, I'd like to be able to switch to "ArcView mode" and use one of our single use ArcView8.1 licenses. Is this possible?

I understand that by switching to ArcView, I would not have access to ArcEditor and ArcInfo capabilities, but that's OK.

Thanks! 

Subject Concurrent license away from the office? - Not Really 
Author Brian Peters 
Date Oct 24, 2001 
Message I have the same problem and as far as I know there is no way to do this. A concurrent license cannot be "checked out" in order to use away from the office. I was told by my local ESRI rep that if a computer away from the office can somehow remotely connect to the office network and get a license and also STAY CONNECTED (for periodic checks by the license manager) then a concurrent license can be used out of the office. But, this won't work well if on a plane/train/etc. or not near a phone line or if your office network does not allow for remote connections.

I suspect many users will be impacted by this limitation and I encourage all who are to contact ESRI to come up with a better solution. My supervisor told me that Microstation uses the same license manager as ESRI (Flexlm) but has it configured to allow concurrent licenses to be checked out in order for computers not connected to the network to use a license for a specified time period - it seems like this could work.

Any one out there with another solution? 

Subject slightly different question 
Author John Cartwright 
Date Oct 24, 2001 
Message Thanks for your reply Brian. My situation is slightly different in that we have both the floating license for ArcGIS and the standalone license for ArcView. My objective was to use the floating ArcGIS license while in the office and then switch to the standalone ArcView license while travelling.

I talked to tech support yesterday and understood them to say that it could be done by installing BOTH ArcGIS and ArcView. I'm surprised that ArcGIS and ArcView can be installed on the same machine, but I guess that I'll try it in a few days and see.

-- john

Subject ArcView is part of ArcGIS 
Author Crystal 
Date Oct 24, 2001 
Message John:

I hope I can help clarify some of the confusion.

ArcGIS is a family of products that includes ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo PRODUCTS. All three include the three desktop applications ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox (plus whatever you get from the extensions you have licensed).

There is an ArcGIS desktop install cd for the "floating" or concurrent licensing versions of the three products.

There is also an ArcView 8.1 install cd -- which is really all the same components that you get with the other DESKTOP installation (i.e. no Workstation -- only ArcMap, Catalog, Toolbox) but for the single-use or stand alone version. It is set up to automatically put you through the register single-use ArcView utility. You either can get a registration number from ESRI by email, fax, or get the registration numbers and then type them in by using the Register through the Internet option.

Perhaps this is what they meant by "installing ArcGIS and ArcView on the same machine".

On your laptop you can use the previous "floating" or concurrent license installation of ArcGIS Desktop (whether that be ArcView, ArcEditor, or ArcInfo) and then you can simply put in the ArcView 8.1 cd and run through the Registration process and type in the registration number you received from ESRI (use this opportunity to register the single-use version of any extensions you may also use).

This will register your machine for the single-use version of ArcView. It will see that ArcGIS is already installed and will not install ArcView "on top of" ArcGIS. Use the Desktop Administrator now to switch to the single use version -- and off you go to the hotel.

When you get back to the office & the network, you can use the Desktop Admin to switch back to one of the floating/concurrent licenses to scale up to use ArcEditor or ArcInfo.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
-Crystal 

Subject Perfect! 
Author John Cartwright 
Date Oct 24, 2001 
Message Thanks Crystal. Using the desktop administrator I simply registered the license files received from ESRI. Now everything works just as I hoped that it would.

-- john