You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - General Concepts forum

Transparent text?   John Shelton Apr 16, 2003
Re: Transparent text?   Craig Williams Apr 16, 2003
Re: Transparent text?   James McBride Sep 16, 2003
Re: Transparent text?   John Shelton Sep 16, 2003
Re: Transparent text?   James McBride Sep 16, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Transparent text? 
Author John Shelton 
Date Apr 16, 2003 
Message Is there a way to make text transparent in ArcMap or place the text underneath another layer in the data frame? Thanks. 

Subject Re: Transparent text? 
Author Craig Williams 
Date Apr 16, 2003 
Message Neither of these are currently possible. We are working on resolving this for a future release. 
  Craig Williams
ESRI 

Author James McBride 
Date Sep 16, 2003 
Message We found a workaround for making transparent text. This works if you don't need to do alot of text, or just create a watermark effect. First create your text in a graphics program with your text black, and your background white. The arial type fonts look the best. Save the file out as a tiff. Load the tiff into ArcMap, and turn on the Georeferencing toolbar. On that toolbar make sure the target layer is the tiff you just loaded, zoom to the area you want the text, and click on Georeferencing...Fit to Display. You can rotate or use the nudge tool from there to move it more into place. Zoom in or out to change the size of the text relative to the map, and just use the fit to Display command to resize it. Once you are done click Georeferencing..Update Georeferencing. No that it is a raster layer you can make it transparent and set No Data to Black and Background Value 255 to White. It works pretty good and the text is crisp. Basically you create a raster layer georefrenced. 

Author John Shelton 
Date Sep 16, 2003 
Message Okay, I think I follow what you described. However, what if your background has many different colors (not just a white background), as in my case w/ a thematic map? Somehow, that white background from the tiff image you create has to be made clear, which I don't believe is possible unless you're working with a GIF file and I can't seem to get GIF files to come into ArcMap. 

Author James McBride 
Date Sep 16, 2003 
Message the white background, or any background value from 0-255 can be made transparent in the raster properties of the tiff layer. Under the symbology tab click the "Display backround value" box at the bottom...in the text box enter the value of your background color (255 for White). Right underneath that display no Value as Black color. That is how we did it.