Re: Merging (not appending)   Jess B Sep 10, 2004
Re: Merging (not appending)   Arnold Radloff Sep 30, 2004
Re: Merging (not appending)   Erik Fernandez Oct 22, 2004
Re: Merging (not appending)   Cherie Stafford Nov 16, 2004
Re: Merging (not appending)   Anne Patterson Mar 31, 2005
Re: Merging (not appending)   Mark Guidetti Dec 17, 2008
Re: Merging (not appending)   Mark Guidetti Dec 17, 2008
Re: Merging (not appending)   Cherie Stafford Dec 17, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Merging (not appending) 
Author Matthew Michael 
Date Jun 23, 2004 
Message I need to be able to merge shapefiles on a regular basis. Using ArcView 3.x and ArcMap 8 the geoprocessing wizard was efficient. I have researched your responses to similiar questions over the past month and have come out empty handed. Currently I am merging in ArcView 3 and Editing in ArcGis9. This is not a process that I will be able to continue in the future, and not one that I want to continue in the future. The append tool is not the same and in my office it is not an acceptable alternative to the merge wizard.
If someone could give me an efficient substitute, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks. 

Subject Re: Merging (not appending) 
Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jun 24, 2004 
Message Please try the attached sample.

Download the attached toolbox (.tbx) file. You can put it anywhere on your computer or you can put it in your "My Toolboxes" folder so you see the tbx file in all projects (see Help docs more on making your own toolboxes or managing new tbx's).

Right click ArcToolbox and choose ADD toolbox
In the toolbox is one model "Merge to new layer"

You can double-click it to open it up as a TOOL/dialog.

You can right click it and choose EDIT to see the processes the model contains.

I've set variables on the Create Feature class and Append tools to work similar to how the merge process works.

If you are creating a shapefile output then you don't necessarily have to worry about the spatial reference parameter when you run it with your own data.

For geodatabase output: If the output feature class is stand-alone (not in a feature dataset w/defined spatial reference/domain) you HAVE to set the spatial reference property and also the XY DOMAIN property of the output feature class so that the extent of the new feature class you create is "large enough" in the x,y domain to fit all the inputs that you will merge/append together.

I've only had time to test in ArcMap.

This also shows an example of how you can make your own models and make variables out of the input data, processes and parameters to the functions so that it is flexible and not "hard coded" to particular datasets. 
  Merge Sample.tbx (opens in new window)

Author Mark Ledford 
Date Jul 01, 2004 
Message Ms. Dorn,

You are a lifesaver. Thank you for you work on the Merge tool. What was ESRI thinking by not including this in ArcGis 9? I have to use this tool constantly.
Mark 

Author Andrew Hargreaves 
Date Jul 02, 2004 
Message I tried Crystals Toolbox and it worked great. However it failed to merge table attributes, only spatial characteristics. Is there a way to merge the tabular info too?
Thanks 

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jul 02, 2004 
Message Hi Andrew:

The data i had to test with appended the attributes. did you specify "Use Schema from:"
that is the option for which of the fields you want to specify for the output. so that if all the inputs don't have the same fields, choose which one of the input that acts as the "template" for the new feature class.

If you take a look at the model by right - clicking and choosing edit, you can see it is still using APPEND. In the APPEND i set the default for the "Schema" parameter to be "No test". There's a description in the help on what that means...(basically, if the fields don't match then they won't get passed unless you specify "Use Schema from":) YOu can easily modify any part of the tool/model and re-save the model to be more what you need.

Here's another version same EXACT model, just changed the language on the parameters. e.g. I changed "Use Schema from:" to "Use fields from:" to be more geoproc wizard friendly. Hope this helps. 
  Merge Sample.tbx (opens in new window)

Subject Merging or Appending: table attributes 
Author Richard Thurau 
Date Jul 05, 2004 
Message I understand the append test/no test explanations as they are provided.

If I choose "test" then append will not work.

If I choose "no test" then I get none of the schema, even though some fields match and some don't.

Is there anyway to append shapes in a way that will transfer matching fields while ignoring the fields that don't match?

Richard 
  Be aware of your environment. 

Author Mike Phillips 
Date Jul 19, 2004 
I tried to merge two point shapefiles with the new merge toolbox and I got several error messages. Not sure how to fix.

Input shape type are not equal to target
Item not found in this collection.
Failed to execute (Append).

Failed to execute (Model1_5).

Author Mike Johnson 
Date Jul 09, 2004 
Message Thanks for the effort, but your toolbox would not create shapefiles. For that matter, it wouldn't create database files either, personal or otherwise. 
  Mike Johnson
GIS Tech.
City of Albemarel, NC 28009
704-984-9438 

Author Richard Thurau 
Date Jul 09, 2004 
Message Mike,
I'm not the author of the toolbox, but I have used it successfully, as prescribed by Crystal. To figure out what's going wrong, I would read up on this thread and take it step by step.

Richard 
  Be aware of your environment. 

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jul 09, 2004 
Message If you could send screenshots of any errors or messages you get back perhaps I can help troubleshoot.

Also, the screenshot of the dialog as you've filled it out just before hitting ok to run it...

Author Mike Phillips 
Date Jul 19, 2004 
This is the entire message. Getting some error about input shapes not being equal to target.

Executing (Model1_10): Model1 City;citiestest1 C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data\citiesfinal5.shp citiesfinal5 # POLYGON "{B286C06B-0879-11D2-AACA-00C04FA33C20};-10000.000000 -10000.000000 100000.000000;0.000000 100000.000000;0.000000 100000.000000"
Start Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:45 2004
Executing (Create Feature Class): CreateFeatureclass C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data citiesfinal5 POLYGON # DISABLED DISABLED "{B286C06B-0879-11D2-AACA-00C04FA33C20};-10000.000000 -10000.000000 100000.000000;0.000000 100000.000000;0.000000 100000.000000" # 1000 0 0 C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data\citiesfinal5.shp
Start Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:45 2004
Executed (Create Feature Class) successfully.
End Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:46 2004 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 secs)
Executing (Append): Append City;citiestest1 C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data\citiesfinal5.shp NO_TEST C:\GTKArcGIS\Chapter18\Data\citiesfinal5.shp
Start Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:46 2004
Input shape type are not equal to target
Failed to execute (Append).
End Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:46 2004 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 secs)
Failed to execute (Model1_10).
End Time: Mon Jul 19 10:33:46 2004 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 secs)

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jul 19, 2004 
Message Input shapetypes not equal to target

The first part of the equation you create a new feature class, there is an option for what shape type (polygon, line, point)

Make sure the output feature type is the same as the feature types you are merging together. I.e. you cannot merge two point layers into a polygon feature class.

If you use the option: USE FIELDS FROM (which is just like the merge in the geoprocessing wizard) then it should automatically set the feature type of the output. Please let me know if that doesn't work, it's an optional parameter assuming that the inputs match the output feature types... 

Author Janet Gannon 
Date Jul 12, 2004 
Message Excellent, wonderful, thank god. I too was panicked that I would have to run 3 and 9 to do my work.

Perhaps more beta testing next time? There continue to be basic items I wonder what ESRI has been thinking when they release new software.

However, overall I have been very pleased with 9. 

Author Stan Marriott 
Date Aug 13, 2004 
Message Thank you, Crystal, for the this script. Still do not understand why this was deleted during the 9.0 upgrade? Thanks again.

Stan 

Author Monica Haddad 
Date Nov 17, 2004 
Message Dear Crystal,

I am trying to use the toolbox you created to merge two shapeflies. For some reason, which I do not know, after the process is over I cannot see anything. The name of the new shapefile created is there, but no image.

Previously I used your tool and was successful, but now no success...

Could you please guide on what I am doing wrong?!

Attached you will find the two shapes.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Monica.

Shape_1.zip (opens in new window)
Shape_2.zip (opens in new window)

Author gary leunis 
Date Mar 16, 2005 
Message thank god ,the merge works! Please remind the development team of the first law
'If it works, DON"T FIX IT!' 

Author Brian Sterling 
Date Mar 25, 2005 
Message Hi Crystal,
Great post: the "merge" tool box. I think ArcToolbox will soon become more of a mainstay for many of us GISers. I'm hoping that as I use the toolboxes more often, that I'll use less code and find more intuitive ways to geoprocess data.

Below is a way that I use ArcToolbox.

Subject Re: removing lots of holes (donuts) from polygons
Author Brian Sterling
Date Mar 25, 2005
Message After trying some of the code here (and in some other posts) and often not getting a good result, I'm beginning to become more familliar with ArcView 9.0 Toolbox. (I admit, I'm just not that good with code, although I have created some nice macros to calculate area, length, etc),
Using the Toolbox I have found that there are a-lot of good map editing tools therein. With toolbox tools, I was successful in removing/filling the holes in my lake.

To fill the holes,
1. Create a polygon shape around the holes. I used a great customize tool for this which I hope is attached. It's called "Create n Add Shapefile.dll". If it isn't attached try to find it on the web or e-mail me and I'll send it to you. (No more ArcCatalog to create a shape.)
2. Union the two layers with the Union tool.
3. Then dissolve the unioned layer using the Dissolve tool.
I setup and ran this process intuitively and it's smooth operation was a pleasant surprise.

Also:
An ArcMap user can easily create toolboxes with tools that they most often use.
In this case I created (right clicked) a new toolbox and I named it "FillHoles"
and the copied the analysis and data mgmt tools; "Union" and "Dissolve" to my new Toolbox. There are many funtions that a GIS person can do using the Toolbox in Arcview 9.0., I believe that I've just scratched the surface.

Enjoy.

Brian Sterling
Cartographer
USDA, APHIS, PPQ, ISPM
Riverdale, MD 20737
Unit 546
e-mail brian.a.sterling@aphis.usda.gov

Author Mono Simeone 
Date Jun 27, 2005 
Message Hi Crystal -

I am wondering if anyone else is having difficulty activating the merge tool in 9.1. It seems, after the upgrade each of the tools in the Geoprocessing Wizard Toolbox works fine except for the Merge model. Is there an easy way to correct this???

Thank you,

Mono Simeone

GIS Analyst
Towill Inc. 

Author RaphaŽlle Arnaud 
Date Jan 24, 2006 
Message Ms Dorn,
A few time ago I have load your attached toolbox which is very useful.
I have now problem with this toolbox and with an other which I have created (which contains a lot of models).
I have the .tbx folder but when I am looking for the content of my toolbox it is empty.
I have try to do as you said to get my models again but I think perhaps my toolbox is corrupted.
Do you have any idea of what I can do to get my models again?
Thanks in advance for any reply.
RaphaŽlle 

Author David Broudy 
Date May 01, 2006 
Message Ms Dorn's merge to new layer utility seems to work, however, the new merged shape file does not have the combined attribute tables of the merged shapefiles. this is inconvenient since the fipscode that allows joining data to the shapefile is lost. Is there a solution to this?

Author Ryan Furlong 
Date Mar 31, 2010 
Message Quick question for you Crystal, I have a selection of block groups that I have turned into a layer that I ultimately want to convert into a shapefile and then merge all the block group polys into one big poly, is there a way to automate these different steps in the model builder? The current way I do it is after I turn my selection into a layer I then export it out as a shapefile then start an edit session on the shapefile, select all then merge. In my line of work I will be doing this alot and would rather build a model to do all these different steps for me, is this possible to do? 

Author Luis Navarro 
Date Jul 15, 2004 
Message i noticed that there is a merge command under the Editor toolbar in 9.0 but it is not active, even when you are in edit mode... This is a nice solution but could this be the solution we are all looking for?

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jul 16, 2004 
Message The Editor-Merge function is for working with selected features in an edit session and merging them into one record in the editable layer. So no, it is not the same as the geoprocessing merge, which takes separate feature layers (think tiles) and stitches them together to create one new seamless output.

The ArcToolbox 9 APPEND is the same tool. It's just that many are finding it not as easy to use because you have to create your output feature layer first w/the schema THEN you can append/merge. The sample merge model tool hopefully makes it a little bit quicker in that you don't have to take the extra step in running two tools: make feature class first, then append into that. 

Author Mike White 
Date Jul 27, 2004 
Message Thank you Crystal for the Merging model and the help with the Append Tool.

but one thing I still don't understand: If I append features to an existing shapefile, I have problems with viewing the appended features. I can only see the appended features when I'm looking at the entire extent of the layer, but if I zoom in, the appended features disappear. If I want to see the appended features, I have to select them or change the symbology.

If I use a geodatabase feature class, this problem does not happen.

what am I doing wrong with the shapefile?

thank you 

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Jul 27, 2004 
Message Hi Mike:

I'm not too sure. My first guess would be to try rebuilding the spatial index on the shapefile. You can do this with the spatial index tool (if you have ArcInfo licensing) or right click the shp in ArcCatalog -> properties -> indexes tab ...try dropping and then rebuilding it.

let me know if that works and i'll do some research to see if append should update the shx of the shapefiles after appending.

it's possible also that there are "weird" geometries. if so, there are two new tools in the Data Management toolbox - Features toolset : Check geometries and Repair geometries. the help discusses what they do, but the first one identifies each shape in the file and reports back if there are invalid geometries to a table, the second tool just fixes the errors.

if that doesn't work, i would recommend opening up an incident w/tech support so they can take a look at your data.

hope this helps... 

Author Barbara Bicking 
Date Jul 28, 2004 
Message Mike:

the spatial index not being rebuilt after append is a known issue, it's logged, and will be fixed latest in 9.1. Append will then rebuild the spatial index for shapefiles. Until then, it is easy to just simply run the spatial index tool on your append output.

barbara bicking
Geoprocessing Team
ESRI-Redlands 

Author Geoffrey Parks 
Date Oct 25, 2004 
Message What are my options for rebuilding the spatial index if I don't have the spatial index tool? In ArcCatalog some shapefiles have all of the spatial index options grayed out--I can't even add a spatial index. 

Author Chris Thomas 
Date Aug 24, 2004 
Message Thanks for your tool Crystal. That will be helpful for some of our users who have many shapefiles to merge into a new layer.

ET GeoWizards works well too... but you can only merge 2 layers at a time I think. I only have the eval version though.

Chris Thomas
Western Piedmont Council of Governments 

Author Ianko Tchoukanski 
Date Aug 24, 2004 
Message The Merge Layers function introduced in ET GeoWizards 9.1 will merge multiple layers. The difference between it and the function of the standard GeoProcessing wizard (ArcGIS 8.x) is that it will preserve Z/M values (if present) of the datasets to be merged.

The function is free (no limitations) with the unregistered version of the software. 
  http://www.ian-ko.com 

Author Geoffrey Parks 
Date Sep 28, 2004 
Message I've had some similar issues with appended features not appearing. In one case this was fixed by updating the spatial index, but for another shapefile, when I went to properties to update the index, all of the index options were grayed out. Why wouldn't ArcCatalog let me add or update the index? 

Author Beth Hoobler 
Date Aug 29, 2005 
Message This tool worked great but now that I have 9.1 it is x'd out in red. I tried adding it back in as a toolbox. What am I missing? 

Author Mono Simeone 
Date Aug 29, 2005 
Message Beth -

ESRI finally included the Merge tool in ArcToolbox. Go to: Data Management toolbox > General toolset, it should be in there along with copy, append, delete...etc. Or just use the search in ArcToolbox.

Cheers,
Mono

Towill Inc.
www.towill.com

Author Robert Knight 
Date Aug 02, 2004 
Message Thanks for your suggestions Crystal, but can you please pass onto the powers that be in ESRI what an utter pain in the arse this is. Why ruin a perfectly useful function? I understand the old Geoprocessing Wizard can be reinstated via the customize menu, that's certainly something I'm going to try. 

Author Andrew Hargreaves 
Date Aug 20, 2004 
Message I agree, what a pain the arse. Is there STILL no cure for this yet! 

Author Catherine Gladstone 
Date Aug 20, 2004 
Message The new version of ET Geowizards includes a merge layers tool that works just as the old v8 tool. Find it at www.ian-ko.com.

Catherine 

Author James Read 
Date Aug 25, 2004 
Message Has anyone found a way of reinsating the 8.x geoprocessing tools via the customise menu as suggested in the earlier post? I too found them extremely useful.

Author Ray Carnes 
Date Aug 25, 2004 
Message The 8.x geoprocessing tools are no longer available with ArcGIS.

There are currently a few options for you. Both of the following are easier ways to access the ArcGIS 9.X geoprocessing tools. The first option adds a new MERGE tool:

1) Download the "Geoprocessing Wizard Tools toolbox" from http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=downloads.geoprocessing.filteredGateway&GPID=4

"A collection of tools traditionally found in the Geoprocessing wizard, including Merge, that shipped with ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 and previous versions. This toolbox is meant for users who want to simplify the collection of tools they use and are familiar with the operations found in the Geoprocessing wizard. Add the new toolbox to the ArcToolbox window in any ArcGIS application and then browse and use the tools inside. All of the tools, except for Merge, are shortcuts to tools found in other toolboxes."

2) Download the "Geoprocessing Wizard Toolbar" from http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=13554
"Do you miss the Geoprocessing Wizard from ArcGIS 8.3? No worries, as it's been replicated in this project for use in ArcGIS 9.0. This toolbar allows you to access the Append, Buffer, Clip, Dissolve, Intersect and Union tools from either ArcMap or ArcCatalog."

We believe the new framework to be more useful than the 8.X geoprocessing tools.

The following text has been taken from http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.documentation.viewDoc&PID=19&MetaID=815 - "ArcGIS 9 - Hot Topics and Frequently Asked Questions"

"ArcGIS 9.0 introduces a large collection of geoprocessing tools that may be used in a number of different ways within any application.

This is a significant change from how geoprocessing tools could be accessed from 8.3 and part of the reason the old wizards are no longer the best way to access the functionality.

1) Tools may be used to create geoprocessing workflows using ModelBuilder and/or the scripting environment of your choice.

2) Enhanced dialogs as well as a next generation command-line interface may be used for executing tools.

The ArcGIS 8.x Geoprocessing Wizard presented five operations for map-based analysis.

ArcGIS 9.0 ships hundreds of tools, including the capabilities of the five found in the 8.x wizard.

Allowing people to use these tools within a model or script is seen as the best way of allowing powerful geoprocessing that works well for both novice and expert users. Models and scripts may be modified to then fit other data management workflows and documenting the process will be easier.

Map-based analysis using dialogs and the command line as well as workflow automation using models and scripts are now possible with all tools.

This was not possible at 8.3

ESRI firmly believes the use of the new geoprocessing tools within the ArcGIS 9.0 framework is more flexible and more powerful to use than the tools that were presented in the ArcGIS 8.x Geoprocessing Wizard.

While this change will require users to alter how they work with ArcGIS, ESRI feels the benefits of the new tools and framework will quickly offset the effort of changing how people used to do geoprocessing."

Ray Carnes,
ESRI Technical Marketing.

Author James Read 
Date Aug 26, 2004 
Message Thanks for the information Ray. I guess I was looking for a simple and quick solution for tasks which I perform on a regular basis.

The 8.3 merge function enabled selection of multiple or specific layers displayed in the TOC. It seemed to me to work well, and the new merge there does'nt seem to be a way of selecting multiple datasets or to be able to tell which ones you've already selected.

I realise I just need to read up on the whole process, and look forward to learing some new proceses.

And, while I appreciate the need for change, I just have to ask, if the new framework is so wonderfully flexible, could a clever person at ESRI not emulate the old merge tool i.e. make it look and feel EXACTLY the same as the old one?

The gauntlet is down...

Thanks,

James 

Author Randy McGregor 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message I downloaded the Geoprocessing Wizards Toolbox, and don't see a "merge." I see the same old (and not very useful) "append."

I may be missing something here. 
  Randy McGregor
Minneapolis, MN 

Author Andrew Wiseman 
Date Nov 16, 2005 
Message I downloaded this toolbox, and I can't use the merge tool, it says "invalid tool - unable to execute the selected tool". What gives? 

Author Ghislain Prince 
Date Nov 16, 2005 
Message Hey Andrew,
as of 9.1 we added a Merge tool in the Data Management toolbox 
  Ghislain Prince
ESRI 

Author Andrew Wiseman 
Date Nov 16, 2005 
Message Oh great! Thanks. I must have missed it before. 

Author Steve Lewis 
Date Aug 30, 2004 
Message I have to agree with James, Ray. In my book, ESRI removing the merge tool was a mistake. I agree with you that ArcToolBox is a great way to get all (most) of the tool Arc tools inside ArcMap in a clean manner but this does not account for losing the Merge tool. I just don't understand the logic there. And append is even poorly implemented in ArcMap - giving you more schema errors then it is worth. I'm currently going to Arc 3.3 to do my merges.
Was there a programming problem in ArcObjects that limited the ESRI team from including a merge command?
Thanks,
Steve 

Author Ray Carnes 
Date Aug 30, 2004 
Message Steve/James,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not part of the development team so I can't speak for what may or may not have been possible. I believe merge was not included with the core release because the way it worked was not compatible with the logic of the new geoprocessing framework (which was to have tools with workflows that create new data).

"ESRI determined that a geoprocessing tool that creates and appends data as well as matches/alters fields could be too confusing in the new environment." - taken from http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.documentation.viewDoc&PID=19&MetaID=815 -

As you both know, these forums are not routinely read by ESRI - they are for "user-to-user support". There is no guarantee that the feedback that is posted in these discussion forums will end up at ESRI product development.

I would encourage you both (and anyone else reading this thread who feels the same way) to send this type of feedback directly to the development teams via the "Submit Enhancement Request" link on the support homepage at http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=homepage.enhancementSubmit.gateway (login required).

Ray Carnes,

Author James Read 
Date Aug 31, 2004 
Message Thanks Ray, I wasn't aware that ESRI didn't reguarly read these forums so I've taken you up on your suggestion and submitted the following:

The Merge tool has been removed at 9.0. This was in my opinion a core tool, with excellent functionality, which delivered all my requirements in an easy to use interface. This tool should be reinstated at 9.0, with immediate effect.

Please see thread:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=983&t=129867

for further information and an indication of the numbers dissatisfied with the removal of the merge tool. (This is by no maens the only thread on the subject)

In summary:

The 8.3 merge function enabled selection of multiple or specific layers displayed in the TOC. It worked well, and the new merge there does'nt seem to be a way of selecting datasets from the current dataframe or to be able to tell which ones you've already selected.

I look forward to learing some new proceses and while I appreciate the need for change, I just have to ask, if the new framework is so wonderfully flexible, could a clever person at ESRI not emulate the old merge tool i.e. make it look and feel EXACTLY the same as the old one?

The gauntlet is down...

Thanks,

James Read

I suggest that all those posting to this thread also submit a similar request (feel free to copy if these reflect your own concerns)

Author Jim Waller 
Date Aug 31, 2004 
Message Ray,

I have seen that you have been able to help several people. Again I do not want to sound like a disgruntled GIS user but this new append is complicated.

I have tried to get the append to work and it only works with my shapefiles. The tool will not work with my databases. I have included a copy of my error genereated when I try to append the databases.

Executing (Append_8): Append C:\TOY\Parcels\Land_Ownership2.mdb\Parcels\central_par;C:\TOY\Parcels\Land_Ownership2.mdb\Parcels\North_par;C:\TOY\Parcels\Land_Ownership2.mdb\Parcels\South_par C:\TOY\Parcels\Land_Ownership2.mdb\BHCPARC3 NO_TEST C:\TOY\Parcels\Land_Ownership2.mdb\BHCPARC3
Start Time: Tue Aug 31 09:21:01 2004
(DAO.Field) The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.
Failed to execute (Append_8).
End Time: Tue Aug 31 09:21:03 2004 (Elapsed Time: 2.00 secs)

I understand this means an error in the attributes. However, in 8.3 I never had any errors, how can I overcome this error.

Before I was getting the XY doomain error and I have since fixed that.

Please Help

Jim Waller
Big Horn County
Wyoming

Author Ray Carnes 
Date Aug 31, 2004 
Message Jim,

We can troubleshoot this by examining the field definitions of the target featureclass (BHCPARC3) and comparing them to the field definitions of the input featureclasses (central_par, north_par, south_par).

Here is an easy way to collect that information:

1) Select this featureclass in ArcCatalog and click the METADATA tab
2) Click ATTRIBUTES to see the field definitions and select all text under "Details for BHCPARC3"
3) Copy and paste this selected text into a document.
4) repeat this process for central_par, north_par and south_par

If you can do this and post the resulting document here as an attachment, I can take a look to see which field is causing the error.

Ray Carnes,

Author David Graves 
Date Sep 02, 2004 
Message Hi,

I was also initially frustrated by trying to use the Append tool to accomplish what previously was done with Merge in Arc8. However, I'd recommend anyone who is working on this to try the tool that Crystal Dorn provides earlier in this thread. If you add it to Arctoolbox and then edit it with the model builder (simply click >edit on the tool), you can customize the tool to use the spatial extent and attributes from any data set. It worked perfectly for me after I set these and I'm going to try customizing it further to serve some of our specific needs here.

Thanks,

David Graves
Yellowstone National Park 

Author Jim Waller 
Date Sep 02, 2004 
Message Thank you. The tool works pretty nice, only thing make sure that all spatial references are set to the same extent.

Jim Waller
Big Horn County, WY 

Author Jess B 
Date Sep 10, 2004 
Message If I append two shapefiles, and choose one for the schema to use (using the tool from Crystal), I do get the correct schema in the output, but I lose all the data. This is the same behavior I saw in an 8.3 merge.

Is this the correct behavior?

I wrote some code to port the data over from the input to the output but wanted to make sure I'm going about things the correct way.

Author Arnold Radloff 
Date Sep 30, 2004 
Message I wanted to know if there is a tool that can remove duplicate shapefile records? After using the tool Crystal developed in the Merging (Not Appending) Thread, I have multiple records with duplicate information. I used Sort Ascending on the LENGTH field to find pairs of records which have the exact same LENGTH. I then compare the last 4 fields in the two records and the one with either null or 0 values is the record I need to remove. Is there a way to use the FREQUENCY tool to automate this process? Thanks.
Arnold 
  Need to Remove Duplicate Records.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Erik Fernandez 
Date Oct 22, 2004 
Message Question on Crystal's tool. When you open the tool, one of the prompts is for output directory... seems you should just browse to location for the output and type in the name.shp and click "ok", but instead there is an "add" prompt instead of ok. How can I get around this?
thanks,
Erik 

Author Cherie Stafford 
Date Nov 16, 2004 
Message Hi Erik,
You just need to browse to the directory so that it shows in the name field and then click "add", then in the next field you specify the name of the shapefile...

Author Anne Patterson 
Date Mar 31, 2005 
Message Thank you! I only wish I had found this last week before I spent a lot of time creating new shapefiles to be able to append. This will be a tremendous time-saver.

Anne 

Author Mark Guidetti 
Date Dec 17, 2008 
Message Is there a problem with the "merge" function under "general in the tool box? I haven't tried it to do a merge yet. 

Author Mark Guidetti 
Date Dec 17, 2008 
Message Sorry - thats under Data Management 

Author Cherie Stafford 
Date Dec 17, 2008 
Message Hi Mark,

This is a very old post from ArcGIS 9.1 days (I think!). Since then the Merge tool has been added and it should work fine.

Cheers
Cherie