Re: Opposite of Clip?   Juan Garcia Jan 03, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Kelly Edwards Jan 24, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   veronica alcon Jun 22, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Donald Meltz Jul 10, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Ianko Tchoukanski Jan 24, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Robert Rumney Jun 26, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Kristine Cai Jul 06, 2005
Re: Opposite of Clip?   Jeff Sturman Apr 26, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Opposite of Clip? 
Author Vincent Buccellato 
Date Dec 13, 2004 
Message Is it possible with ArcView license to get the opposite output from clip? The outlying in shape area, not the overlapping shape area. 

Subject Re: Opposite of Clip? 
Author Juan Garcia 
Date Jan 03, 2005 
Message Vincent,

What you are looking for is called Symmetrical Difference. There is a tool to perform this action. Look in the help for it. 

Author Juan Garcia 
Date Jan 03, 2005 
Message Sorry, I didn't read that it needs to be in ArcView. I think this tool is limited only to ArcEditor/ArcInfo. However, you will be able to do it in ArcView with some programming. Look in the Developer Help for an example. 

Author Kelly Edwards 
Date Jan 24, 2005 
Message Do not use the clip tool under geoprocessing. There is a different clip function under the editor toolbar that produces a 'reverse cookie cutter' effect. This clip function will cut out all underlying features in the same geodatabase if the layers are VISIBLE.

In an edit session, select the feature (polygon) you want to use as the cookie cutter and choose clip in the editor toolbar. Chose whether to keep the features that fall inside the cookie cutter as new features or to delete them completely.

It does not delete the feature that you used as the cookie cutter. 

Author veronica alcon 
Date Jun 22, 2005 
Message I have selected the layer to use as a cookie cutter and the Clip function is greyed out. Does this have something to do with my ArcView license or am I missing a step? Thanks. 

Author Donald Meltz 
Date Jul 10, 2005 
Message Using the Clip function in an Edit session, you have to have one and only one feature selected in the "cookie-cutter" layer. If you want to get around this limitation, merge the features you want to use as the cookie cutter into a single feature first,(in a new layer if you want to retain the original layer) then select that single feature as the cookie cutter/clipper. 
  ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °
° Don Meltz
° Planning and GIS
° Columbiaville, NY 12050
° donmeltz@msn.com
° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° 

Author Ianko Tchoukanski 
Date Jan 24, 2005 
Message Check the free Erase function of ET GeoWizards (http://www.ian-ko.com) 
  http://www.ian-ko.com 

Author Robert Rumney 
Date Jun 26, 2005 
Message X-Tools also has an Erase feature.
Bob 

Author Kristine Cai 
Date Jul 06, 2005 
Message Vincent,

Did you have your problem resolved? I am facing the same issue with my project. Can you share?

Thanks!

Kristine 

Author Jeff Sturman 
Date Apr 26, 2007 
Message There are two Erase features in the toolbox. One needs ArcInfo, the other does not (under Analysis Tools).