Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Van Shelhamer Jan 26, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Melita Kennedy Jan 28, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Quentin Rund Feb 15, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Mark Squires Feb 15, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Mark Squires Feb 16, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Deborah Matthews Feb 16, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Alejandro Simon Colina Feb 23, 2010
Re: All tools in the toolbox not working ca...   Quentin Rund Feb 23, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject All tools in the toolbox not working can anyone help? 
Author Brent Hansen 
Date Mar 10, 2009 
Message I have used the repair choice in the uninstall on the software. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the software and I still have no tools. The tool dialog box opens up with the minimize, restore, and close buttons in the top corner and that is all you see. No text boxes to add files no buttons....nothing. It just all of a sudden started doing this after I registered all of the available software extensions for ArcView. 

Subject Re: All tools in the toolbox not working can anyone help? 
Author Timothy Scott 
Date Apr 05, 2009 
Message I'm having the same issue but mine started with 9.2 and now does it with a fresh install of 9.3 also. The toolbox shows the tools but the dialogue box does not open after double-cicking on the tool. The service patch does not fix the problem either. 

Author Adam Ricketts 
Date Apr 06, 2009 
Message I am also experiencing this problem in 9.3, seemingly out of the blue. Installed the Spatial Analyst extension, and after that I have not been able to use the tools. 

Author Ian McGovern 
Date Apr 16, 2009 
Message Anybody have any luck? I have been dealing with this for months, even after reinstalls of 9.2 and 9.3. I have updated all of windows SPs, MS XML parsing (I found that ArcGIS (I think) creates an xml file for the current tool layout in the application data folder), IE updates, any ESRI SP update and drivers all over the system. This happens to me sometimes at random from ArcMap, or ArcCatalog on most tools, but any right click command on a local or SDE/AGIS Server GDB Import command will never work from Catalog. ArcView, ArcINFO, extensions on or off, the same. It crashes the host program.
I have also had the issue happen recently where it will not add a result layer from a Geoprocessing tool while in ArcMap, and now this blank tool is happening with more frequency. Could it be an environment setting?
I find that if I reboot some tools will then open but the rest (like right click context menu) will not open at all.
Thoughts? Thanks.
Ian

Author Brent Hansen 
Date Apr 17, 2009 
Message Still no luck. I have tried reinstalling 9.3 and using the repair options and nothing. I am thinking about reloading windows and formating the drive. I don't know if the license will re-register though. Don't know what else to do. I wish someone from ESRI would take pity on us and tell us what is wrong with their amazing program! 

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date Apr 17, 2009 
Message I have the same problem with my toolbox. It occured on my desktop in 9.2 and now I have the same problem on 9.3 on laptop. Everything worked fine until I installed the ESRI Update of the Desktop help menu. My desktop problem was solved when I installed 9.3. I have not done the install of the Update on my desktop, to avoid having the same problem. Hopefull 9.3.1 will arrive soon and correct the problem. 

Author Ian McGovern 
Date Apr 17, 2009 
Message So it happened after the service pack for the help? I will see if hiding the tool help (right panel of the tool) makes it any better - I know at 9.1 there was a similar issue and it was related to IE7 beta, which I believe again is key to the help system.
Thanks for the insight.

Author mark squires 
Date Apr 17, 2009 
Message Can you use the Command Line window for ArcToolBox tools? If the command line works correctly, I'm guessing there's a conflict with IE on your workstation. ArcToolbox uses IE to display the tool dialog (as mentioned, there was a prior issue with ArcGIS 9.1 and IE7) 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author Ian McGovern 
Date Apr 17, 2009 
Message I can run commands from the command line. I don't like to post untested fixes, but those experiencing the same issue might try this - as it seems to work for me but again many of my problems seemed random.
I right clicked on the ArcToolbox and selected environments which opens a toolbox window.
I closed the side help (Show Help>>) so it was closed.
I clicked okay to close that dialog.
I tried a tool that would never open - and it opened - really fast.
I was then able to turn the side help back on.
It still works, and I have tried tasks I do in my normal course of the day - using IE, other programs and it still works. So again I don't know if it was a fluke and later today I will be back in the same spot or not. Might be worth a shot for those experiencing the same issue
Ian

Author Timothy Scott 
Date Apr 18, 2009 
Message No luck for me. I get the same thing as when I try and run any of the tools. A brief hourglass then nothing. Thanks anyway, Ian. 

Author Brent Hansen 
Date Apr 19, 2009 
Message I think this is caused by updating to IE8. Mark said that the tool dialogue uses IE7 to display the tools. I have had trouble with Mozilla after downloading and updating to IE8. I wonder if there is a conflict with ArcGIS and IE8?? 

Author mark squires 
Date Apr 20, 2009 
Message IE8 is not supported/certified for ArcGIS Desktop yet. Were you getting the same issue when you had IE7 installed? 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date Apr 20, 2009 
Message I had the same problem with IE 6, and now with IE 7. 

Author Timothy Scott 
Date Apr 20, 2009 
Message I'm using IE7 and I had ARC 9.2 installed and working fine at the same time. Sometime between last December and February the tools stopped working. Since then I've uninstalled and reinstalled 9.2 several times to no avail. I've tried the same with 9.3, which I currently have installed and still I'm having the same issue. I'm half tempted to back-up all my files and do a reinstall of Windows XP to see if that'll work. 

Author mark squires 
Date Apr 20, 2009 
Message Have you tried runnign the command line for the toolbox tools? Do you have any 3rd party tools installed with ArcGIS Desktop? I knew a common extension, FireRMS caused issues with ArcToolBox. 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author Brent Hansen 
Date Apr 21, 2009 
Message I didn't have any problems with IE7. It seems like right around the time that my computer did the automatic update that included IE8 the tools started messing up. 

Author Emilio Politti 
Date Apr 28, 2009 
Message Hi everyone,
once I had the same trouble you are actually experiencing. Did any of you tried to log in the computer you are using with a different account (i.e. "Guest"), launch either ArcMap or ArcCatalog and check if the tools are working?
The problem (at least mine was) not with ArcGis installation but with my xp account (which I latter deleted and made new). 

Author Brent Hansen 
Date Apr 29, 2009 
Message Thank you Emilio. That works!! You are great. 

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date May 02, 2009 
Message Yes that fixed the problem.

Installing the 9.3.1 update did not correct the problem. There has got to be a fix other than creating a new account. Hopefully someone will figure out the problem so it doesn't continue to happen. 

Author mark squires 
Date May 02, 2009 
Message Many times, the issue is a result of the user profile. The user profile stores your settings for ArcCatalog, ArcMap, ArcToolbox, etc. As I mentioned earlier, make sure to remove all 3rd party products, and ensure you're using a version of Internet Explorer that is fully supported by ArcGIS Desktop, as IE launchs all the dialog windows for the GP tools. 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author Johnathan Simon 
Date Jul 29, 2009 
Message Check the Security Zone of your IE Browser. The Tools within ArcGIS Desktop require the ability to run ActiveX plugins. If your IE Browser is set to a HIGH security setting the GUI of all the tools will not display properley.

Johnathan Simon
Helyx SIS Ltd (ESRI UK INC Group) 

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date Jul 29, 2009 
Message I am not sure if there is a connection between these two issues. But my DNR Garmin Extension also operated very slow, and was not operating correctly. Setting the refresh rate helped some. When I created a new account, both DNR Garmin and ArcToolbox started working correctly. The folks with DNRGarmin are aware of the problem, but haven't found a solution that I know of. 

Author Christel Veefkind 
Date Nov 25, 2009 
Message I have a similar problem. All of a sudden (not after an install or anything) all my tools are coming up but white or blank inside. All dialog boxes are like that from the toolbox. And also when trying to activate them as a right click from catalog or map. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Jan 25, 2010 
Message Mark, how do we know what version of Internet Explorer will support our version of ArcMap? I tried going in and changing the security settings on IE8 to enable all the ActiveX settings, but it still doesn't work. 

Author Mark Squires 
Date Jan 26, 2010 
Message Claire,

What version of ArcGIS desktop are you using? What types of issues are you getting when trying to access/use the tools?

Mark S. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Jan 28, 2010 
Message I'm using a evaluation version of 9.3.1. The toolbox shows all the tools, but when I try to use one, or when I try to adjust the environments, the window that opens looks like the screenshot that I'm attaching here. It also launches a couple of webpages, some which don't load, and some which look like help menus. 
  screenshot.doc (opens in new window)

Author Mark Squires 
Date Jan 28, 2010 
Message What version of IE do you have installed? I'm guessing from the screenshot you're using Windows Vista for your OS.

When did this issue first start occuring? 
  Mark S. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Jan 28, 2010 
Message Hi Mark,

I had IE 8 installed when this problem first started happening. Someone suggested that some kind of update caused the change, and I think that's likely because I didn't have this problem last semester (up until around Dec 15). I hadn't used ArcMap since then until last week when the problem happened, and I haven't made any changes to my computer. I tried uninstalling IE 8, now the same problem happens, but I get pop up windows in Firefox. One of the windows displays the help dialogue for the Environments window (or whatever tool I'm trying to use). The other one looks like the screen shot I attached here.

My OS is Windows 7. It's a new laptop, so I've never had anything else on it. 
  screenshot2.dot (opens in new window)

Author Mark Squires 
Date Jan 29, 2010 
Message I'm not 100% sure if the issue is specific to the eval version of ArcGIS Desktop, but I think the best action right now is to determine if the tools can work from command line.

Can you run any of the tools (ex. Buffer) from the command line window? If you can, the issue would seem to be specific to an IE conflict with the toolbox. Do you have any 3rd tools installed (non-ESRI core GP tools)?

Have you tried logging in as a different user (mentioned in an earlier post)? Have you tried a Repair Install of ArcGIS Desktop?

Mark S. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Jan 29, 2010 
Message Hi Mark. I tried running the intersect tool with the command line and it ran successfully and created a new shapefile, but it gave this error message:

Intersect Sewers;Stream_buf c:\temp\intersect ALL
Executing: Intersect "Sewers #;Stream_buf #" c:\Temp\intersect.shp ALL # INPUT
Start Time: Fri Jan 29 14:42:04 2010
Reading Features...
Cracking Features...
Assembling Features...
Executed (Intersect) successfully.
End Time: Fri Jan 29 14:42:05 2010 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

Executing: Intersect "Sewers #;Stream_buf #" c:\temp\intersect ALL # INPUT
ERROR 000604: Method Executing: not found.

The new output file appeared in the table of contents despite the error. As for your other questions, I haven't tried logging in as a different user yet. I'll try that next. I also don't have any other non-ESRI tools installed, and I haven't tried a repair install. I did uninstall and reinstall the software, twice - before and after removing IE8 from my computer. I'll try a few other things and let you know what happens. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Jan 29, 2010 
Message I tried logging in as a guest - that doesn't work either.

My new problem is that I uninstalled IE 8 in an attempt to solve all this, and now I cannot find a way to reinstall it. Microsoft's website doesn't offer a download of IE 8 for Windows 7. I can't download IE 7 either, because I get an error message that it is incompatible with my computer. So if IE is required for ArcMap tools to work, it looks like I'm in trouble. 

Author Mark Squires 
Date Feb 01, 2010 
Message Claire,

Sorry about the issues with IE8 and Windows. I've never worked with Windows 7 before, and i'm unsure of the options that can be used to re-install IE8.

I'm assuming you tested this before, but were you getting the same issue for ArcToolbox in ArcCatalog and ArcMap? 
  Mark S. 

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date Feb 01, 2010 
Message For what it is worth. I recently had a problem with IE 8 on an HP laptop. In working with their techicians, I learned that IE 8 is really an add on to IE 7. If you remove IE 8 through add and remove programs, you will be back to IE7. 

Author Claire Quimby 
Date Feb 01, 2010 
Message Well, I got IE 8 reinstalled. So that's no longer an issue. However, when I open tool windows or the environments window it opens a page in Firefox now rather than IE. I hadn't actually tried using the toolbox in ArcCatalog til just now, but yes, the same thing happens. 

Author Jorge Rubiano 
Date Mar 27, 2010 
Message I just installed the eval version of 9.3.1 in a new laptop with Windows 7. I also installed the SP for such version. The problem appeared as reported by Claire. We reinstalled the whole package, IE 8 is on the laptop and the problem still the same. Any solution someone can share with me? Tks. 

Author Van Shelhamer 
Date Jan 26, 2010 
Message I had the same problem a few months back, my solution to the problem was to create a new user on the computer. That solved the problem, and I have not had any problems since. 

Author Melita Kennedy 
Date Jan 28, 2010 
Message Another thread:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=983&t=235461

said that Technical Support suggested a registry "reboot."

In the registry (go to Start button, Run, type "regedit" in the Run dialogue)

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, and rename the ESRI folder "ESRI_OLD"

All normal warnings about editing the registry apply. (Back it up first, for instance)

I don't think this is the same issue, but people reporting problems with certain property pages found that it was a setting in ATI's Hydravision application. If you have an ATI video card and Hydravision try disabling the "enable dialog repositioning" option.

Melita 
  Melita Kennedy
ESRI Product Specialist 

Author Quentin Rund 
Date Feb 15, 2010 
Message I have a similar situation. Geoprocessing tools dialog boxes come up "blank" but I can get the Help to display.

I have tried the registry change to the ESRI entry and the setting change to the DigHelpWidth setting. None of these cleared up the situation. I have tried to lighten my security settings in IE and Firefox. This did not help.

Looking around the forums today, this seems to be something that comes up every so often. I have seen entries from 2006-2010.

If there are other suggestions, or if someone has a different solution in mind, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Author Quentin Rund 
Date Feb 15, 2010 
Message Here is the screenshot of my "blank" tool dialog box. 
  Screen shot 2010-02-15 at 12.58.16 PM.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Mark Squires 
Date Feb 15, 2010 
Message Hi Quentin

So, some initial questions:

When did this first start occurring?
What version of ArcGIS Desktop do you have installed?
What version of IE do you have installed?
Are you having the same issues in ArcMap and ArcCatalog?
Can you use the GP tools via Command Line?
Have you tried logging in as a new user and then attempt to access ArcToolBox? 
  Mark S. 

Author Quentin Rund 
Date Feb 15, 2010 
Message When did this first start occurring?
Just recently. But this is the first time I've used the tools in about 4 months.

What version of ArcGIS Desktop do you have installed? 9.3 (Build 1770)

What version of IE do you have installed? 8.0

Are you having the same issues in ArcMap and ArcCatalog? yes

Can you use the GP tools via Command Line? have not tried, yet

Have you tried logging in as a new user and then attempt to access ArcToolBox? no 

Author Mark Squires 
Date Feb 16, 2010 
Message I would recommend logging in as a new user on the same machine, and test the workflow. User profiles can get corrupt, causing issues with the application. 
  Mark S. 

Author Deborah Matthews 
Date Feb 16, 2010 
Message I was having this same issue, just starting today. I did log in as another user and the tools worked fine. I then followed the renaming suggestion for the registration (from ESRI to ESRI_OLD) and that worked for me. I've done this before as I already had an ESRI_OLD listed. Wonder why this keeps happening... 

Author Alejandro Simon Colina 
Date Feb 23, 2010 
Message I got the same error. ArcToolBox did not work. Each time i used a tool, the window was openned empty. The solution was easy. As it was previously suggested, i just changed the registry of my user profile as Melita Kenney said.
In the registry (go to Start button, Run, type "regedit" in the Run dialogue)

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, and rename the ESRI folder "ESRI_OLD"

All normal warnings about editing the registry apply. (Back it up first, for instance)

Thanks all ol you 

Author Quentin Rund 
Date Feb 23, 2010 
Message I do want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I now have the issue fixed. I had tried the rename the esri folder in the registry trick, but it had not worked for me. What I was experiencing was an issue with Windows' user accounts. I found a solution here, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919292, that stepped me through the process of repairing installation of certain .dlls. After stepping through this fix, I now have access to my geoprocessing tools. Just thought this extra step may help some people with a similar issue.