Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   mark squires May 14, 2009
Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   Stefan Offermann May 14, 2009
Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   Sandip Karmakar May 15, 2009
Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   Stefan Offermann May 15, 2009
Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   Stefan Offermann May 15, 2009
Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with...   Charles Kiblinger Oct 21, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with a specific user 
Author Stefan Offermann 
Date Apr 20, 2009 
Message One thing drives me crazy. The Create Thiessen Polygons Tool fails with the error message:

ERROR 000537: Error in converting points to voronoi polygons.

This occurs just with my standard user on ArcGIS 9.3 SP 1. When I run ArcMap as adminuser or any other user on my windows xp, the tool runs. What can I do (besides a new installation)?

I have already tried to delete the folders
C:\Documents and Settings\stefan\Application Data\ESRI
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI
but the tool fails. Any other things I can do? 
  Stefan Offermann
Software Engineer
con terra GmbH, Muenster, Germany
http://www.conterra.de 

Subject Re: Create Thiessen Polygon Tool fails with a specific user 
Author Sandip Karmakar 
Date May 14, 2009 
Message I am getting the same error and I am not able to get the tool work at all in anyway. Did you get the solution of this? Can you please share?

Thanks in advance!

Sandip 

Author mark squires 
Date May 14, 2009 
Message If the tool fails with 1 specific user, the problem may be a result of a corrupt user profile. Attempt to create a new user profile and re-test. If the tool works correctly, then the user profile is at fault. 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author Stefan Offermann 
Date May 14, 2009 
Message Deleting the user profile was in fact the first thing I tried to get rid of the error. But no luck for me.

After contacting ESRI Germany, Angela told me that the german supplement could be the source of the error. After uninstalling it, the error was gone :) They made a patched dll for me and now it works fine with the german supplement.

Stefan Offermann
Software Engineer

Author Sandip Karmakar 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message For me the problem is more strange!! For me I am getting this error when I work on a specific point feature class. For other point feature classes,there is no issue. Can anyone tell me what sort of data errors can cause this problem? This is geting critical for project timelines and I am not able to fix it. Please help me.

Thanks and Regards
Sandip 

Author Sandip Karmakar 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message Another thing is I have lot of coincident points which are at the same X-Y coordinates. Can this be a problem for creating Theisson poygons? If yes, then is there any workaround for this? 

Author Stefan Offermann 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message This is indeed a problem. If you have two points with exactly the same coordinates, the tool won't work. You have to delete the duplicates.

We have used another way, without deleting. We have three points with exactly the same coordinates. Every point has a different azimut angle. We slightly move the points in the direction of the azimut angle, lets say only some centimeters. Then the creation of Thiessen polygons work.

The procedure of shifting the points in the direction of their azimut is written in C#.

Best regards, Stefan 
  Stefan Offermann
Software Engineer

Author Sandip Karmakar 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message Hi,
Did you write a console application or develop any custom tool to do this? As I am new to ArcGIS, any pointers or help document regarding this will be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Sandip 

Author Stefan Offermann 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message Yes I am writing an ArcGIS extension for a customer which needs to create Thiessen polygons. If you need further instructions for programming with ArcGIS, please see http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=An_overview_of_customizing_ArcGIS

If you are complety new to programming, you should contact you local ESRI distributor for courses, consulting and so on.

Hope this helps.

Stefan 
  Stefan Offermann
Software Engineer

Author Charles Kiblinger 
Date Oct 21, 2009 
Message I had it fail repeatedly on a small set of points housed in an MDB, but it worked when I exported them to SHP and ran the tool on that. No duplicates so that wasn't the problem in my case.