Extracting data by polygon area   Mike Douglas Oct 01, 2003
Re: Extracting data by polygon area   Craig Gillgrass Oct 01, 2003
Re: Extracting data by polygon area   Mike Douglas Oct 02, 2003
Re: Extracting data by polygon area   Craig Gillgrass Oct 02, 2003
Re: Extracting data by polygon area   Craig Gillgrass Oct 02, 2003
Re: Extracting data by polygon area   anita campbell Jan 09, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Extracting data by polygon area 
Author Mike Douglas 
Date Oct 01, 2003 
Message I am running ArcInfo Desktop (8.3), ArcSDE and Oracle 91. Is there an easy way to extract or export data from multiple SDE feature classes to a personal geodatabase based on a polygon area? The built in extract data function exports all data in the visible data frame. This exports more data than I would prefer. (The polygon area is an irregular shape within the data frame.) I then have to manually delete the "extra" data within the personal geodatabase. Is there a tool to confine the export or extracted data to just the polygon area without have to do one feature class at a time? I will have to repeat the process often because of frequent data changes. 
  MikeD 

Subject Re: Extracting data by polygon area 
Author Craig Gillgrass 
Date Oct 01, 2003 
Message You can also Extract data based on a graphic. You could either create a graphic from scratch or convert a selected polygon to a graphic for extraction purposes. 
  Craig Gillgrass
ESRI 

Author Mike Douglas 
Date Oct 02, 2003 
Message Craig,

Will data outside the graphic created from a polygon be excluded from the export? I started to try that, but when I selected the graphic, a selection "box" appeared around the irregular shaped polygon. At that point I assumed the data would be clipped to the box rather than the graphic itself. I will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestion.
Mike 
  MikeD 

Author Craig Gillgrass 
Date Oct 02, 2003 
Message If any data is coincident with the outline of the graphic, it will also be extracted. So may have some cleanup to do after the extraction. The selection box around the graphic does not dictate the data that will be extracted. 
  Craig Gillgrass
ESRI 

Author Mike Douglas 
Date Oct 02, 2003 
Message Crain,

I created the graphic but I get a error when I start the extract data wizard. I think there may be a geodatabase issue. I get a "Source Data Error" that references a domain that does not exist, as far as I can tell by using ArcCatalog. I do not have a domain name of "Overhead Secondary Insulation Type" nor do I have any idea why the message is asking for an input table or query called "SDB_SurveyDatasets". Any suggestions? Could these be items referenced in the electric model feature class but not actually in the Geodatabase?

MikeD 

Author Craig Gillgrass 
Date Oct 02, 2003 
Message Mike,

The message referencing the input table or query called "SDB_SurveyDatasets", is a bug with the error message.

If the "Overhead Secondary Insulation Type" domain is not in your Geodatabase, it may be referenced by one of the feature classes, I have seen this issue happen in the past. Check any feature classes that may have the domain assigned.

I cannot recall if you mentioned this data is in a Personal GDB or SDE? 
  Craig Gillgrass
ESRI 

Author Mike Douglas 
Date Oct 02, 2003 
Message I am working in an SDE/Oracle9i Geodatabase using version Arcinfo Desktop 8.3. I looked at the valid domains as listed under one of the feature classes and there is not a domain called "Overhead Secondary Insulation Type". I will check each of the feature classes to make sure this is not an "old" domain that was deleted and is still referenced in an existing feature class.

I added the domain and this seem to fix the error. What is the process to convert a polygon into a graphic? I found the command in the toolbar command list but once I dropped it onto a toolbar, the command grayed out. I can create a graphic from scratch, but grabing the existing polygon would be faster. Thanks for all of your help. 
  MikeD 

Author anita campbell 
Date Jan 09, 2004 
Message I am running ArcInfo 8.3. I, too am attempting to extract multiple layers from an enterprise gdb to a personal gdb using the Extract Data Tool on the Disconnected Editing Toolbar. I tried using a selected feature from a polygon feature class, as well as a graphic created from the selected polygon. Each time when I got to the Advanced Extract Data Options dialog 'The boundary of the currently selected graphic' is not available for the option "What spatial extent do you want to extract for". Both attempts resulted in an extract of the 'current display extent'.