You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabases forum

Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spreadsh...   Mark Hillin Oct 29, 2004
Re: Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spre...   Justin Hansen Nov 16, 2004
Re: Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spre...   Ianko Tchoukanski Nov 16, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spreadsheet 
Author Mark Hillin 
Date Oct 29, 2004 
Message I have an Excel spreadsheet that I saved as a .dbf The .dbf contains attributes along with the corners that I would to make polygons with. I have eight columns containing decimal degrees. ie X1,Y1,X2,Y2,X3,Y3,X4,Y4 can anyone help me import this into ArcMap? 

Subject Re: Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spreadsheet 
Author Justin Hansen 
Date Nov 16, 2004 
Message How many polygons will be created from these coordinates? You are going to have to bring the .dbf table into arcmap then right click the layer and select plot xy's. Then each xy coordinate will have a point. Then export out to a point shapefile. Bring in the point shapefile and then from there make a new polygon based on what points are needed to create the polygon. Unless someone knows how to automate this. The problem is that ArcMap doesn't know which points make up which polygon. Not sure it this helps but keep me posted.

Justin 

Subject Re: Creating a shapefile from an Excel Spreadsheet 
Author Ianko Tchoukanski 
Date Nov 16, 2004 
Message 1. Add an ID field to your dbf and assign unique values for each record
2. As Justin suggested create 4 point shapefiles with each pair of coordinates (Tools ==> AddXY data)
3. Merge the four shapefiles together. Now you will have four points with the same ID
4. Use the free Point To Polygon function of ET GeoWizards (http://www.ian-ko.com) to get the polygons. In the wizard use the ID field created in 1 above as PolygonID field 
  http://www.ian-ko.com