You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabases forum

how to share a geodatabase   Laura Roy May 29, 2007
Re: how to share a geodatabase   Peter McAlenney May 29, 2007
Re: how to share a geodatabase   Laura Roy May 30, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject how to share a geodatabase 
Author Laura Roy 
Date May 29, 2007 
Message Is there an easy way to share your personal geodatabase with someone? I used to just email shapefiles very easily but now that I'm using a geodatabase it seems difficult to share or export it. Is it possible to share/export the whole geodatabase including all feature datasets, rasters, tables, relationships and layer files? Is making a layer file the only way to keep your symbology and how do I share layer files? Thanks. 

Subject Re: how to share a geodatabase 
Author Peter McAlenney 
Date May 29, 2007 
Message I assume you are refering to a personal GDB, and not SDE?

Quite easy to share, it is a Microsoft Access Database and is a single .MDB file on your local machine. You can zip it and email or FTP or copy to CD, whatever.

To Share an MXD (sounds like what you are getting at with the layer files), save the MXD and send that to someone in addition to the MDB file containing the data. Use the option in ArcMap to use relative paths, that way as long as the MXD and MDB live in the same directoried relative to each other, all will work.

Let me know if you have other questions. 
  Peter McAlenney 

Subject Re: how to share a geodatabase 
Author Laura Roy 
Date May 30, 2007 
Message Well that was easy! Thanks Peter.

I'm still a little confused about layer (.lyr) files because I want to share those with others because they have my symbology but it doesn't seem like you can just share the file, you have to share the whole .mxd, is that right? I have opened other people's geodatabase feature classes and their symbology was there, how can I do that?
Thanks.