ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabases forum

Moving fields in attribute table.   Bryan Houk Jun 01, 2007
Re: Moving fields in attribute table.   Michael Knight Jun 01, 2007
Re: Moving fields in attribute table.   Bryan Houk Jun 01, 2007
Re: Moving fields in attribute table.   Ianko Tchoukanski Jun 03, 2007
Re: Moving fields in attribute table.   Robert Jensen Jul 24, 2007
Re: Moving fields in attribute table.   Bryan Houk Jul 25, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Moving fields in attribute table. 
Author Bryan Houk 
Date Jun 01, 2007 
Message I created a geodatabase and collected some GPS points for it. I added all the fields that I wanted in the table. However, I messed up on some of them and had to delete/recreate them. In the feature class properties, the fields are not in the order that I want them. They're in the order they were created and saved. How can I get them in the order I want them? I've tried to highlight and move them in the feature class properties. I've tried to open the database in ArcMap and move the fields that way. This method works, until I close ArcMap. Is there a way to do it, or am I just stuck with it?

Thanks. 

Subject Re: Moving fields in attribute table. 
Author Michael Knight 
Date Jun 01, 2007 
Message Thats the way it works. Fields are saved in the order they are created. You could recreate the table and add the fields in the order you want them, then load the existing data into that table. 
  Michael Knight
GIS Solutions Architect
Contract Land Staff, LLC
Stafford, Texas

http://www.contractlandstaff.com

Author Bryan Houk 
Date Jun 01, 2007 
Message Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I've got time, so I guess that's what I'll do. 

Author Ianko Tchoukanski 
Date Jun 03, 2007 
Message Check the free Order Fields function of ET GeoWizards (http://www.ian-ko.com) 
  http://www.ian-ko.com 

Author Robert Jensen 
Date Jul 24, 2007 
Message I know ESRI probably would advise against this, but I've never run into problems doing this; simply open up the personal geodatabase in Microsoft Access, view the table that you want to change, switch to "design view", then rearange the fields in the order that you'd like. You can also rename fields and upsize/downsize field lengths. Make sure you don't rename fields that use a domain or are a subtyping field. Also, the rearanging fields doesn't work if you "pull" the fields around in table view; it must be in "design view". Hope this helps..
-Bobby Jensen
GIS Analyst
Alachua County, Fl 

Author Bryan Houk 
Date Jul 25, 2007 
Message Thanks for the advice. But I've already gotten it taken care of. Some other people might want to know that in the future. But the ET GeoWizard works great. I use it all the time. Not just for moving fields around, but for other things as well.

I hate to admit, but I don't know how to use Access. That's the only Microsoft Office product that I don't know. I took a computer class in college that went over stuff like that. I missed the day that we started on Access and when I came back, I was too far behind to know what was going on. So I just don't use it.

But thanks anyway.