You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabases forum

Ways of ensuring data quality???   Russel Chu Jun 18, 2008
Re: Ways of ensuring data quality???   Derek Law Jun 18, 2008
Re: Ways of ensuring data quality???   Russel Chu Oct 10, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Ways of ensuring data quality??? 
Author Russel Chu 
Date Jun 18, 2008 
Message HI Dear Folks,

We are about beginning a big delineation project. We use ArcSDE geodatabase. To ensure the data quality both spatially and tabular, here are what I can think.

(1) Set up standards: accuracy, digitization scale, minimum digitization area, snapping tolerance, etc.
(2) Set up topology rules.
(3) Correctly use different editing tasks (cut, clip, merge, reshape, auto-complete polygon, etc)
(4) Build attribute domains/subtypes

Anything else you guys can suggestion? I will truly appreciate your help.

Russel

Subject Re: Ways of ensuring data quality??? 
Author Derek Law 
Date Jun 18, 2008 
Message Hi Russel,

FYI: there are several ESRI instructional podcasts that discuss the various stages of quality assurance & quality control of GIS data. You can find them here:

http://www.esri.com/news/podcasts/instructional_series.html

Look under the ArcGIS Desktop section.

Hope this helps,
Derek Law
ESRI 

Subject Re: Ways of ensuring data quality??? 
Author Russel Chu 
Date Oct 10, 2008 
Message HI Derek. Thanks for your reply. Finally I got a chance of reading these documents, and here are a little summary.

QA:
(1) Spatial reference information: projection, coordinate system, datum, domain extent

(2) Accuracy and Precision: lat/long/z

(3) Attributes: field type/length/numeric formats, domains, subtypes

(4) Geometry: digitization scale, minimum digitization area, snapping tolerance, Topology Rules

QC:
(1) Manual QC checks: initial check and secondary visual inspection - looking for missing attribute values, duplicate values, bad formed geometry, .....

(2) Automated QC checks - GIS Data Reviewer: for both attribute and geometry checks

For QC, without GIS Data Reviewer, we can use Topology Rules to ensure pretty much the geometry accuracy. The problem for us is the attribute quality. We have some fields with a fixed format, like US-NY-44-2. I don't think Field Format/Domain/Subtypes can ensure this kind of format. So we are thinking of building some kind of desktop tools using ArcObjects or Python to check the attribute errors. For example, if GIS digitizers type US-NY44-2, running this tool will identify this error.

So I am asking if you've already crossed this kind of custom tools, and give me some resources to start with it.

Appreciate your help.

Russel