Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Crystal Dorn May 01, 2003
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Dave Cross May 01, 2003
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Dave Cross May 08, 2003
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Ashish Agarwal Oct 26, 2003
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Dave Cross Oct 30, 2003
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Michael Smith Oct 06, 2005
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Dave Cross Oct 17, 2005
Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature...   Michael Smith Oct 17, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Moving a Feature Class between Feature Datasets 
Author Dave Cross 
Date Apr 16, 2003 
Message I am trying to move a Feature Class from one Feature Dataset to another. I believe that this is possible, and that it should be as simple as dragging the Feature Class from its current Feature Dataset into the new one (in ArcCatalog).

I am using an ArcInfo license to do this yet I receive the following error message:
"Failed to paste the application is not licensed to create or modify schema for this type of data"

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks in advance. 
  Dave Cross
INFORM Network for Management Systems Limited
Vancouver 

Subject Re: Moving a Feature Class between Feature Datasets 
Author Clif Sikes 
Date Apr 17, 2003 
Message Have you tried to export from geodatabase to geodatabase? Right click on the layer, export>geodatabase to geodatabase. It will open a window that you can specify the new geodatabase, dataset and layer name.
Hope this helps.
Clif Sikes
City of Midland, TX 

Author Dave Cross 
Date Apr 29, 2003 
Message Thanks for the suggestion Clif;
I tried the export and encountered the same problem. I cannot determine what is going wrong, but I am certainly using an ArcInfo license, so presumably the error message is incorrect. 
  Dave Cross
Vancouver 

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date May 01, 2003 
Message What type of geodatabase -> personal or multi-user/ArcSDE?

Have to ask (sorry!) again, you're sure that the title bar of ArcCatalog reads: "ArcGIS-ArcCatalog-ArcINFO"

That error message I know is returned when Desktop is set to ArcView license trying to export to a multi-user geodatabase....

Which version of ArcGIS are you using (*8.3, 8.2, etc.)...

Are the geodatabase versions compatible (i.e if using 8.3, have you upgraded the geodatabaseS to be verion 8.3...)? 

Author Dave Cross 
Date May 01, 2003 
Message It is an ArcSDE geodatabase. It was created using the SchemaWizard in ArcCatalog 8.2, and I am using 8.2 when I receive the error.

Both the application titlebar and the About screen tell me that I have an ArcInfo licence - that's why the error message is confusing me. 
  Dave Cross
Vancouver 

Author Dave Cross 
Date May 08, 2003 
Message Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I am posting this reply/solution to my own message for your information.

The problem I encountered was actually partially my own fault, but I refuse to accept responsibility for ESRI's part in this incident. My error was in trusting the Desktop Administrator to correctly identify my licence level. Granted, this is a very particular circumstance, and it is unlikely that many people have or will encounter it.

Our application development efforts often require support for multi-window environments such as Citrix or Windows Terminal Server. In order to support ArcGIS with different licensing levels we have applications which apply the ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS environment variable setting ( see http://support.esri.com/search/KbDocument.asp?dbid=23661 ). As the KB article suggests, the ArcGIS products' application titlebar does not update to reflect the true license level (neither does the About screen, nor the Desktop Administrator). The issue is resolved by changing the environment variable to Editor, or deleting it altogether and relying on the Registry Settings (through Desktop Administrator).

Thus the error message that I assumed to be incorrect was actually right-on. The problem, however, was difficult to identify. Thanks again for your responses to my post.

-Dave 
  Dave Cross
Vancouver 

Author Ashish Agarwal 
Date Oct 26, 2003 
Message I've successfully installed ArcGIS (ArcInfo) on a Win 2K machine which is also running WTS and Citrix MetaFrame XP. I'm connecting this server to a license manager which has ArcView, ArcEditor and ArcInfo (all floating) licenses. My Desktop Administrator is configured for ArcInfo License.

I want to give different users, different licenses to work upon, to some ArcInfo, to others ArcView, etc. I read from ESRI documentation (http://support.esri.com/search/KbDocument.asp?dbid=23661) that by adding ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS = Viewer or Editor or Professional to the Environment Variable of the user profile, I can specify the license that should be checked out when a user logs in to Citrix and executes an application. I've specified this environment variable in the user profile on all my client machines. However, whenever I invoke any ArcGIS application from the Client Machine, only my ArcInfo is being checked (though I specified "Editor" in the environment variable). The result is that while my ArcInfo licenses are all being USED UP, my Editors are just lying waste.

Kindly provide me a solution. 

Author Dave Cross 
Date Oct 30, 2003 
Message I apologize for the delay in my reply. I'm afraid that I do not know why this isn't working for you. The configuration that I have established is slightly different from yours. For the purpose of our application, we actually have only one Citrix account that is shared by multiple users. The user is prompted to select their licence level when the application starts-up, the application sets the ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS environment variable to reflect the user's selection. This mechanism is working just fine.

It seems that the diffence is that my environment variable is setup within the user's Citrix session, yours is established through the user's profile settings. I am not highly experienced with the Citrix environment, but it sounds like what you are doing should work.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any help, but I will attempt to test this some more and let you know the outcome. Please let me know if you find a solution. 
  Dave Cross
Vancouver 

Author Michael Smith 
Date Oct 06, 2005 
Message Dave - if you are still out there, did you use code to allow the user to choose the license level when they started up? I want to implement an ArcGIS/Citrix system where either there are three published applications (ArcView, ArcEditor, ArcInfo) or one (ArcMap) that gives you a choice for licensing level. Did you accomplish this via code which sets the environment variable? Can it be changed in mid-session? 
Michael Smith
State GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS 

Author Dave Cross 
Date Oct 17, 2005 
Message Hello Michael;
I apologise for the delay in my response, but here it is. I did end-up using code to switch the license level via the environment variable. This works just fine on both standalone systems and Citrix deployments. Once an ArcGIS process has obtained a license it will not release it or change it, so the license level cannot be altered without restarting whatever application is grabbing the license (whether it be ArcMap or your own ArcObjects application). We found it difficult to test for the availability of a licence without crashing our application. Our solution was to encapsulate the code that gets and sets the license in a stand-alone license-getter application. 
  Dave Cross
Vancouver 

Author Michael Smith 
Date Oct 17, 2005 
Message Thanks, I was hoping for the ability to change license mid-session, but I guess not. I think our approach will just be to publish in Citrix three applications, each which actually starts with a .bat file that sets the license level and then starts ArcMap. 
Michael Smith
State GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS