ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Management (General) forum

Structural Geology Data   Susan Howell Jan 10, 2005
Re: Structural Geology Data   Tom Savage Jan 10, 2005
Re: Structural Geology Data   Susan Howell Jan 11, 2005
Re: Structural Geology Data   Tom Savage Jan 11, 2005
Re: Structural Geology Data   Willy Lynch Oct 25, 2006
Re: Structural Geology Data   Willy Lynch Jul 16, 2008
How to Save Label Classes in Layer Files? (...   Antonia-Jane Weston Jan 21, 2009
Re: How to Save Label Classes in Layer File...   Willy Lynch Jan 21, 2009
Re: How to Save Label Classes in Layer File...   Antonia-Jane Weston Jan 21, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Structural Geology Data 
Author Susan Howell 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message I am fairly experenced with ArcGIS and ERDAS. I am making a geologic map and database for a thesis project. When doing field work, I collected rock samples, structural info (strike, dip, etc.), gps coord. I have created an attribute table for each sample point and I want to display structural data on the map- problem is, I do not know how to do so, nor how to enter the data into the attribute table (I want to display strike and dip symbols, tilted according to their respective angles). Any clues or sources would be greatly appreciated.
Susan Howell 

Subject Re: Structural Geology Data 
Author Tom Savage 
Date Jan 10, 2005 
Message Some info on rotating symbols:

http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0701/avconvert.html

If you need additional structure symbols there are a few more sets here:
http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/ess/carto/symbols_e.html

"THE UNOFFICIAL ARC/INFO AND ARCVIEW SYMBOL PAGE"
here:

http://www.mapsymbols.com/symbols2.html#Symbols

Lots of info in the help files on editing or entering data in attribute tables.

TS 

Author Susan Howell 
Date Jan 11, 2005 
Message Thanks for the help. I put my azimuth and dip data into excel, joined it to the sample points, adjusted the symbolization- yet I am unable to rotate the symbol. I am not given an option for the azimuth field, only the sample point fields. Am I not supposed to have the tables joined? Should I recreate all of the tables into one? 

Author Tom Savage 
Date Jan 11, 2005 
Message I have never tried with joined tables.
It should work ok from a single table.
Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

TS 

Author Willy Lynch 
Date Oct 25, 2006 
Message The attached file is a crude summary of how structure data can be symbolized and labeled in ArcGIS. The process is a 3 step procedure—creating the data, the symbology properties and finally adding the labels. The symbology and label properties can be imported from template LYR files. Standard functionality in ArcMap allows importing of layer symbology from layer files. In order to import Label properties, a custom macro (included below) must be used. 
  Willy Lynch 
  HowToSymbolizeAndLabelStructuralDataWithArcGIS.doc (opens in new window)

Author Willy Lynch 
Date Jul 16, 2008 
Message and now with ArcGIS 9.3 and Maplex extension, you can have this work more automatically. See a description at the Mapping Center:
http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=ask.answers&q=6

Willy Lynch 

Subject How to Save Label Classes in Layer Files? (Re: Structural Geology Data) 
Author Antonia-Jane Weston 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message I am not working with Geology data, however, I came across this thread when I was trying to find a way of saving Label Classes within Layer Files or in some way so that they could (along with their Label Expressions and Styles) be re applied to other Feature Classes.

I am using ArcGIS v9.3 & working mainly with personal & file geodatabases though occassionaly shape files & I wondered if there is any non programming way of doing this?

I have tried Willy Lynch's script (many thanks) but because the Layer Files I have don't seem to have the Label Classes stored within them - I think because they have since been converted to Annotation it does not seem to solve my issues completely.

I am also curious if anyone has worked out how to re apply Layer Files saved from Annotation Feature Classes to new Labels or directly to new Annotation as I can't seem to find a way i.e. there is no "import" as there is for Feature Symbology?

With thanks,
Antonia

Subject Re: How to Save Label Classes in Layer Files? (Re: Structural Geology Data) 
Author Willy Lynch 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message I would suggest "asking a cartographer" at:

http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=ask.gateway

I submitted an enhancement request for this but do not know if anything is being done to import layer label properties like you can import layer symbologies. 
  Willy Lynch 

Subject Re: How to Save Label Classes in Layer Files? (Re: Structural Geology Data) 
Author Antonia-Jane Weston 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message Thanks - I have done so and if I get a useful reply I will post it back here.
Antonia