Re: Importing CAD drawings into Arcmap   Meh Go Nov 11, 2009
exporting Arcmap features to CAD   Mike Chapman Oct 20, 2008
Re: exporting Arcmap features to CAD   Mridu Pawan Sonowal Oct 21, 2008
Re: exporting Arcmap features to CAD   Tonja Dwyer Jan 21, 2009
Re: Importing CAD drawings into Arcmap   Mridu Pawan Sonowal Oct 21, 2008
Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD   Shea Ripplinger Nov 17, 2008
Re: Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD   Tonja Dwyer Jan 21, 2009
Re: Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD   Mridu Pawan Sonowal Nov 25, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Importing CAD drawings into Arcmap 
Author Chris Walker 
Date Oct 08, 2008 
Message Hey everyone.
I have a question. I often have to import CAD drawings into ArcEditor for such things as subdivision plans and location maps.
I am not very experienced with AutoCAD and I have an issue. Sometimes when I import or Add a CAD drawing into Arcmap the scale reference is WAY off and does not match up with the streets layer.. or the Address Layer etc.. etc. that I would like to import it to.
Any suggestions on how I can make this process more efficient.. Ideally I would like to simply add the CAD drawing and it will simply show up where it is supposed to which happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't
Thanks. 

Subject Re: Importing CAD drawings into Arcmap 
Author Marie Soler 
Date Oct 17, 2008 
Message I work with both CAD and ArcMap and it can be a trial. I've found that you have make sure the CAD dwg has a coordinate system assigned to it first. To do this you go to the project pull down then go to drawing setup. If your scale is off I would also think maybe your dwg file came from and architect not an engineering firm which uses different scales. We usually have to scale down architect dwgs by a factor of 12 to fit in our engineering dwgs. I hope this helps. 

Author Teri Reynolds 
Date Jan 22, 2009 
Message Marie,

Would it be possible for you to write the steps used in scaling a drawing down by 12? I pretty much do not know CAD (only GIS) but I do have access to AutoCAD, primarly to resolve problems like this.

It would be a great help, as I am having the exact same problem as the oP, and I believe this is the cause

Thank you. 

Author Meh Go 
Date Nov 11, 2009 
Message Teri,
to change scale in AutoCAD, after selecting the object write 'scale' or 'sc' in the command line at the bottom of autocad window. (this is only if your AutoCAd is in english) if not you have to look for the icon in Modify-->Scale). Once you are prompted to inset base point click on a point on the drawing, then it will ask you to enter a scaling factor which you can type 12 or whatever suitable value. that is it!
There are other options of scaling such as by giving control points (min 3 pts) if you know exact location of some points and you want to scale your mis-scaled object. For this one also you will be prompted at the command line.
Hope this helps 

Subject exporting Arcmap features to CAD 
Author Mike Chapman 
Date Oct 20, 2008 
Message Hi there

my question is: how can I convert from ARC MAP polygon, point and polyline features to dwg or dxf for CAD? I am quite ARC MAP inexperienced.

I'm a hydraulic modeller using 'MIKE URBAN' software produced by the Danish Institute of Hydrology (DHI). This modelling software comes with ARC MAP integration - so i'm trying to become GIS savvy. Many of our clients (engineering firms) request that we provide them with pictures of the model layout, pipe network etc in dwg or dxf file format for import into their CAD system. In this particular case the client does not have ARC MAP so they need a dwg or dxf not a shp file. The conversion tools and export tools in ARC MAP do not provide for export to CAD -

has anyone out there managed to export to CAD? 

Subject Re: exporting Arcmap features to CAD 
Author Mridu Pawan Sonowal 
Date Oct 21, 2008 
Message At the very first you need to have your feature classes organized in a dataset in a Geo-database file. e.g. "abc.gdb" or Personal Geodatabase file say "abc.mdb".

This you can do using the "Arc Catalog".

The labels needs to be converted into annotation class inside the geo-database file.

Using the Data Interoperability you can now export the geo-database file to any data format you wish to, it could be an AutoCAD .dwg/.dxf file or Google Earth .kml/.kmz file or any other file format available in the file transformation library.

Hope this shall work at your end. 

Subject Re: exporting Arcmap features to CAD 
Author Tonja Dwyer 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message I got this to work by using a template file in the coordinate system and scale I wanted to use. 

Date Oct 21, 2008 
Message Generally the CAD Operators takes a scale and start generating the drawing or map based on that scale from any point of their choice.

If the drawing/map is being generated by a draftsman or CAD operator or guided by a person who has got the vision of using the Coordinate system, then the startup position shall be based on the Geo-graphic coordinates in UTM. If done in this way then the .dwg file can be imported in the respective WGS84 UTM Zone XXN/S using the DI.

If the draftsman/CAD Operator is smart enough or there is a specification to draw the geo-graphic coordinate grid then you may move the drawing to that particular location. Accordingly scale the drawing w.r.t. the coordinate measurement. Now if you import the drawing then you shall get the drawing in place w.r.t. the coordinate system.

Hope this shall work for you. 

Subject Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD 
Author Shea Ripplinger 
Date Nov 17, 2008 
Message I've got the opposite problem. I'm attempting to export some of the world aerial imagery from ArcGIS for import into AutoCAD. In data view, I have tried exporting the map as a .tif and checked the box to create a world file, but the image gets thrown in the middle of nowhere and at a completely different scale than my AutoCAD drawing. AND, the coordinate system in the AutoCAD drawing was already selected before attempting to import the ArcGIS image. Any ideas? 

Subject Re: Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD 
Author Tonja Dwyer 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message Hi,

I am seeing the same problem converting from SDE to DWG. The output is not where it should be.

Have you had any luck resolving this problem?

Many thanks,

Tonja 

Subject Re: Importing ArcMap imagery into AutoCAD 
Date Nov 25, 2009 
Message Hi,
Try exporting the ArcMap imagery in Geotiff format using ERDAS Imagine. It works this way. The Geotiff image opens in the same coordinates as it is in ArcMap.

Hope it shall work at your end. We have tried this way.