You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Management (General) forum

Add Joins: I don't want to maintain fully q...   Basile Chaix Apr 01, 2009
Re: Add Joins: I don't want to maintain ful...   Jeff Christiansen Apr 01, 2009
Re: Add Joins: I don't want to maintain ful...   Dean Oman Aug 05, 2009
Re: Add Joins: I don't want to maintain ful...   Dean Oman Aug 06, 2009
Re: Add Joins: I don't want to maintain ful...   Aleydis G. Pere Sep 09, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Add Joins: I don't want to maintain fully qualified names!!! 
Author Basile Chaix 
Date Apr 01, 2009 
Message Dear all,
In ArcMap, I use Add Joins to join a table from a shapefile to another shapefile, based on a field that is used for joining them.

In the output table, the names of the columns have the format tablename.fieldname. I would like to only retain the fieldname as the variable name.

To do so, in Environment Settings -> General Setting, I uncheck "Maintain fully qualified name".

The Join works perfectly, however it has no impact on the output, the variable names are still in the format tablename.fieldname.

There are no common field names in the two tables used for the join (only FID, which cannot be deleted).

How to solve this problem?

Thank you so much,

Basile

Subject Re: Add Joins: I don't want to maintain fully qualified names!!! 
Author Jeff Christiansen 
Date Apr 01, 2009 
Message Check out this Python script
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15260

It uses the 'make feature layer' tool to remove the table name from the new field. 

Author Dean Oman 
Date Aug 05, 2009 
Message Unchecking the box for the "fully qualified field names" environment variable works for me in ArcGIS 9.3. It can be done at the script level or it can be made more permanent by right-clicking on the ArcToolbox icon, selecting Environments, General Settings and then unchecking the box. 

Author Dean Oman 
Date Aug 06, 2009 
Message You can also set the QualifiedFieldNames environment variable in the script:

gp.QualifiedFieldNames = "UNQUALIFIED"

Author Aleydis G. Pere 
Date Sep 09, 2009 
Message For scripts the only thing that seems to work is that Python script that Jeff Christiansen suggested.
Setting the "Maintain fully qualified field names" environmental variable in the script or in ArcToolbox's settings has no effect for me.