You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

How to create a Shapefile with a DBF   Matthew Streubert Oct 17, 2005
Re: How to create a Shapefile with a DBF   Nakul Manocha Oct 17, 2005
Re: How to create a Shapefile with a DBF   Matthew Streubert Oct 17, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How to create a Shapefile with a DBF 
Author Matthew Streubert 
Date Oct 17, 2005 
Message Hi,

I have searched and found a number of answers to this question but none that allowed me to create my shapefile. I have a excel file that I saved as a DBF and would like to convert it to a shape file. There are three field in the file (lat, Long, and Depth). I just need a link or a step by step process of how to make my table into a shapefile.

Thanks 

Subject Re: How to create a Shapefile with a DBF 
Author Nakul Manocha 
Date Oct 17, 2005 
Message Hi there,
If you have the excel file still with you, then save it as a .xls only. Open Microsft Access> Open > (Choose file format as .xls from the drop down menu in the open dialog). Now check the box which says that first row as heading...and finally save the table and file. Also, make sure that your Lat , Long are decimal degrees (floating point decimal and not the text or string).Bring the table in ArcMap. Right click the table and say display XY data, choose X for Long and Y for Lat. These features should display and then export it as the shapefile...If these XY values are not saved as decimalor double or numeric data type, they wont show up in the display XY features.

If you don't have the xls file , then tr bringing the dbf and try to to display xy data...
Bye 
  Nakul Manocha

"KEEP TRYING" 

Subject Re: How to create a Shapefile with a DBF 
Author Matthew Streubert 
Date Oct 17, 2005 
Message Thank you so much. Your response not only helped but was extremely informative!