ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

Splitting a polygon into quarter quarters   Susan Henderson Jun 08, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   Dan Patterson Jun 09, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   Maynard Hansen Jun 09, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   Susan Henderson Jun 12, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   Al Alonzo Sep 27, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   Susan Henderson Sep 27, 2006
Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarte...   mark ellis Sep 29, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Splitting a polygon into quarter quarters 
Author Susan Henderson 
Date Jun 08, 2006 
Message Is there an "easy" way to split a fairly square polygon into 16 equal polygons?

Thanks. 

Subject Re: Splitting a polygon into quarter quarters 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jun 09, 2006 
Message why not create one from scratch if it is square?
http://www.spatialecology.com/htools/createvectorgrid.php 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Maynard Hansen 
Date Jun 09, 2006 
Message Dan is right, you should do it from scratch. The problem with doing this programatically is that there are an infinate number of ways to divide a polygon into 16 equal area chunks.

Author Susan Henderson 
Date Jun 12, 2006 
Message Thanks, guys, but unfortunately, I said mostly square because some are not square. (You know, life is NEVER that easy.) These are sections in the Jeffersonian land grid and I'm trying to divide them into quarter-quarters to help me in approximating some lease holdings. The states I'm working in are Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota.

Any more ideas? 

Author Al Alonzo 
Date Sep 27, 2006 
Message Susan, did you ever find an answer to this problem? I am working on the same thing.

-- Bufnita Ciumec 

Author Susan Henderson 
Date Sep 27, 2006 
Message Sorry, but no, I didn't.

Good luck.
Susan 

Author mark ellis 
Date Sep 29, 2006 
Message Automating this could entail a large amount of work. There is a dataset in Minnesota that is a mathematically created quarter-quarter coverage of the entire state at http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata.html?id=L230000012102 ... click on the FULL metadata option to find contact info. This also contains good documentation of how it was done and with what inputs.

Conceptually, it is just a matter of measuring sides, halving them, connecting the dots, then repeating for the quarters. If an intersection is created at the section center, it will even work with irregular shapes.

Not sure if that will help, but it might get you started. If you are doing a smaller number of sections, it will probably save you time to do the work manually. AutoCAD has some very good, easy functions that make the work quick.