Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Stephen Lead Feb 14, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   David B Feb 14, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Brian Baldwin Feb 15, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Mars Sjoden Jun 11, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Amber Hawkins Jun 12, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Mars Sjoden Jun 12, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   Amber Hawkins Jun 12, 2008
Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out?   David B Jun 13, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out? 
Author Amber Hawkins 
Date Feb 06, 2008 
Message I'm trying to clip the extent to which you can see the data. I've done the process thousands of times at my previous job, however, I go to do it in my new job and can't. The process is as follows
Right Click on Layers in the TOC
Go to Properties
Select the Data frame tab
Enagle Clip to Shape
Click on "Specify Shape"
Usually I select the third radius, "Outline of Selected graphic...this isn't offered as an option anymore, because it's grayed out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Subject Re: Data Frame Clip to Shape-grayed out? 
Author Stephen Lead 
Date Feb 06, 2008 
Message Hi Amber,

Have you checked that there definitely is a selected graphic?

If you go to the > Edit menu, the option "Zoom to selected elements" should be available. If not, you don't currently have a selected graphic.

Good luck,
Steve 

Author Brian Baldwin 
Date Feb 14, 2008 
Message I'm having the same problem and the graphic I am trying to clip to is selected before going to the data frame properties. The Outline of Specific Shape selection is still grayed out. 

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Feb 14, 2008 
Message Could it be a glitch in your MXD? Try saving the MXD, closing ArcMap and reopening the MXD - does it work now?

What about if you copy all the layers and graphics into a new MXD and try again? 

Author David B 
Date Feb 14, 2008 
Message I'm assuming you already made sure the graphic is a polygon, not a line or point...

Is the graphic in geographic space in the data view or only in page space on the layout? For data frame clipping it has to be the former. 

Author Brian Baldwin 
Date Feb 15, 2008 
Message I was working with multiple data frames and then discovered that the data frame I was trying to clip wasn't the 'focused' data frame, this solved the problem. Just had to focus it, drew the graphic, and was then able to clip the extent. 

Author Mars Sjoden 
Date Jun 11, 2008 
Message Yah, well I have never had any success with this procedure. Two simple Data frames.

1. Select Data Frame I want to be clipped too. Activate it.

2. Draw a Graphic Circle

3. Graphic circle is very much selected.

4. Go back to Data Frame I activated, select Properties

5. Enable Clip to Shape, and Select Button for Select Shape.

6. Clip to Graphic shape is always grayed out.

I have never had any success with this. Sounds like a nice feature if it works though. 

Author Amber Hawkins 
Date Jun 12, 2008 
Message I ended up using the mapbook developer sample to solve the problem. It does the same thing. 

Author Mars Sjoden 
Date Jun 12, 2008 
Message Interesting! Where do I pick this up? 

Author Amber Hawkins 
Date Jun 12, 2008 
Message http://arcmapbook.googlepages.com/

it's an ESRI developer sample, but so many people use it that someone created a googlepage for it. It's pretty handy. 

Author David B 
Date Jun 13, 2008 
Message If you are doing this in layout view just activating the data frame isn't enough. You need to focus the frame before you draw the graphic. That way the graphic gets drawn inside the data frame rather than on top of it.
You can use the Focus Data Frame tool on the Layout toolbar or you can double-click the data frame on the layout to focus it. It should have a wider angled hashed outline when focussed.
If you switch to data view you should be able to see your selected graphic there. If you only see it in layout view it won't work.

The data frame in layout view is kind of like a box with a clear lid. When you activate the data frame you are basically just pointing to it and any graphics drawn in that state just get placed on top of the lid. When you focus it you are taking the lid off, so graphics drawn in that state get placed inside the box.