Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   George Buckton Nov 05, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   George Buckton Nov 05, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   Diwakar Kanchi Nov 06, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   George Buckton Nov 06, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   Nathan Pugh Nov 06, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   mark squires Nov 06, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   George Buckton Nov 07, 2008
Re: Combine 2 shapefiles   Jiri Janecka Jul 15, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Combine 2 shapefiles 
Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message Hi there,

I would like to combine 2 shapefiles into 1 shapefile. The 'bottom' shapefile has only one polygon, it is the shape of a park.

The 'top' shapefile is made up of many polygons of different roads.

How can I combine these 2 shapefiles so they are just one shapefile with all of the polygons? I have made sure the attribute table fields are the same, but using the 'merge' tool makes a shapefile with only one polygon.

thanks,

Subject Re: Combine 2 shapefiles 
Author Nathan Pugh 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message Try the Union tool under Analysis tools - overaly 

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message I tried the Union tool as well, however, the same issue is occurring. There are many different road polygons, but the new vegetation polygons are not being created, there is still just one vegetation polygon (spanning the entire park) beneath all the road polygons.

For example, many of the roads have circular loops, so when they are placed on top of the background vegetation polygon, there should be a new circular vegetation polygon created as the road fragments the landscape. This is not the case - there is still only one vegetation polygon for the entire park.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Author Casey Ogden 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message Or Start Editing, Select All Features from one layer, then copy and paste into the other layer. 
  Casey Ogden
DZSP | 21
Hagatna, Guam  

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message The problem is that when I paste 'all features' from the roads shapefile into the park vegetation shapefile, there are not new polygons formed where the roads fragment the landscape.

Because I will be running a Fragmentation analysis, I need to have new polygons for the new fragmented landscape.

Hope that makes sense. Any ideas?

thanks,

Author Casey Ogden 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message Analysis Tools -> Overlay -> Intersect 
  Casey Ogden
DZSP | 21
Hagatna, Guam  

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message I'm afraid when I do an Intersect, I just a clip of the road shapefile. The vegetation polygon is not present....

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 05, 2008 
Message I've attached the shapefiles in case anyone is able to take a look.

cheers,
  Output.zip (opens in new window)

Author Diwakar Kanchi 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message Create a new shapefile in ArcCatalog and add all three shapefiles into ArcMap. Select Editor tool > Start Editing > Keep target layer as New shapefile in Editor tool > select feature from Export_output_ 3(Vegetation) > Copy and Paste into new shapefile. Then select features from Export_output_ 2 (feat_type) Copy & Paste into New shapefile. By this you will get all features including Vegetation into newly created shapefile, however you will loose all attribute information. These attribute data can be achived by joining new shapefile with Export_output_ 2 with reference to FID then you can calculate all attribute information into new shapefile with ‘Field calculater’ option.

PS: Check attached NewShapefile.

Hope this helps.

Diwakar

NewShapefile.zip (opens in new window)

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message Thanks Diwakar,

I appreciate your effort, but the shapefile you created is the same as I was able to create through copy/paste.

What I'm hoping to have is a vegetation layer that has all of the proper vegetation polygons, that is, when the roads are placed on top of the vegetation, they slice the vegetation into fragmented polygons.

Hope that helps explain my goals.

thanks again,

Author Nathan Pugh 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message In that case, try the Erase tool. 

Author mark squires 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message Hi,

I know there's been many responses to this thread, but would the Append function work for you? If both the input and target features classes have the same attribute data, the process should work.

I've added a link to the tool:

Append (Data Management)

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?id=1750&pid=1749&topicname=Append_(Data_Management) 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Author George Buckton 
Date Nov 07, 2008 
Message thanks again for your help everyone. I managed to solve the issue by using Editor->Clip to cut out the landscape polygons. Then I used the Explode tool under Advanced Editing to make each polygon unique.

thanks,

Author Jiri Janecka 
Date Jul 15, 2009 
Message Append is in Arc Toolbox > Data Management Tools > General