You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

merge polygons by touching and attribute id...   przemus gedziorek Mar 28, 2010
Re: merge polygons by touching and attribut...   Jakub Sisak Apr 01, 2010
Re: merge polygons by touching and attribut...   przemus gedziorek Apr 02, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject merge polygons by touching and attribute identity 
Author przemus gedziorek 
Date Mar 28, 2010 
Message I've got a polygon layer which contains a lot of objects with area below requirement. My aim is to merge this polygons to its neigbours with the same one attribute (for example attribute: value). So my merge operation must regard to two condition: touching boundary and one chosen attribute identity. It is easy to do with GeoMedia tool: analytical merge. But the problem is, that my small polygons touch few another polygons with the same attribute and the crux is to merge one to this neighbour which has the biggest area from environs. Do you know how can I deal with this task with ArcGIS desktop?

greetings 

Subject Re: merge polygons by touching and attribute identity 
Author Jakub Sisak 
Date Apr 01, 2010 
Message run dissolve on the field then explode the result. 
  Jakub Sisak
jsisak@dstgroup.com
www.dstgroup.com 

Subject Re: merge polygons by touching and attribute identity 
Author przemus gedziorek 
Date Apr 02, 2010 
Message Thanks for reply. Indeed it looks very simple and effective. But it is only half of succes, because with this method I merge all polygons that are in neigbourhood. Whereas I want to merge only that belows particular area to one the biggest neigbour. Is it possible with ArcGis?